Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1295 Talkback: Off the Racks

Joe Kubert Presents #1 from DC, Uncanny Avengers #1 from Marvel, Multiple Warheads #1 from Image and Cyberforce #1 from Top Cow are reviewed (with spoilers) in this episode. We also talk with artist JK Woodward about his experience during Hurricane Sandy (1:15:16)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. @Adam_Murdough - with your effusive reaction to Multiple Warheads, I must point you to Brandon Graham's first major work (i believe): King City. 424 pages of similarly pun-tastic art and writing for only 12 bucks at In Stock Trades. This was as much fun, and as inventive visually, as it sounds like Multiple Warheads is (I'm waiting on my DCBS order with my copy).

Graham has quickly become a big favorite of mine. From King City to his writing, and occasional art, on the revamped Prophet, he hasn't let me down yet. Glad you guys read this and happy you enjoyed it so much, Adam.

chris
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Multiple Warheads #1 was an odd comic book. The artwork was mind-alteringly awesome, and the sort of thing you could look at for days and still not soak up every single detail. I liked the comparison to Fred Chao's artwork, but I see a lot of Jim Mahfood in there, too, at least in terms of the street art / graffiti influence. It's immersive, it's adaptive, and while reminiscent of others' work it's also like nothing I've ever seen.

It's also a great exercise in world-building and characterization. I really got a feel for who these main characters are (personalities, hopes, goals, the whole nine) and the peculiar place they inhabit. So many fun, memorable moments going on here, and so many mad ideas jumping off the page (like you guys, the convenience store sequence was my favorite).

But I also wonder if that's my problem with the book, too. There's SO much going on that it's hard to keep straight, even with the explanation we were given to set up the backstory, and the storytelling is technically linear, I suppose, but it has this wavy, dreamlike structure where events flow into each other without much transition that it was hard to keep straight at time. In its way, the narrative is as loose as the artwork.

Don't know if I liked it, per se, but I was definitely interested in it and may be back for issue 2, even if just for the art.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Uncanny Avengers #1- I agree that it didn't blow my socks off. I think it could have benefitted from a double sized first issue.

As for Cyclops, he's been on this path for a while. It's been a steady progression with him taking on more revolutionary stance. While he did lose control when he killed Xavier I can see a lot of the Marvel Universe siding with him. Hell in the last few years they've made me a fan of him.

AvX: Consequences is all about Cyclops and I was surprised at how good it was.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Well said @LibraryBoy. I just finished it and thought it was one of the strangest things I've ever read. I have the rest of the series in my dcbs future orders already. Hopefully something clicks with me.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Didn't read any of the other comics besides Uncanny Avengers. I liked it. I just liked seeing Cassaday's art again (reminded me of Astonishing X-Men) and I like the set-up for future issues. Yeah, there could've been MORE! I agree with whoever said that maybe it should've been a double-sized issue.