Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1296 Talkback: Marvel Now Round One

We begin our coverage of Marvel Now as we take a spoiler filled look at Red She-Hulk #58, Marvel Now Point One #1 and A Plus X #1. (54:14)

Listen here.

Comments

• Enjoyed and appreciated the episode... I definitely want to read a few of these books, but I buy digital so I can't pay $3.99 per book except occasionally. That puts all those titles off in the horizon for me. Good news is, I'll know what's good and what's not by then.
  • I have to say I have no interest in Marvel Now at all but its an entertaining episode so far. Matt's comment about the quality of creative teams after the AR bit was played was priceless.
    Speaking of Matt and getting completely off topic, why doesn't he have a surname? I know he actually has one, just wondering why its not used on the show when everyone else uses their's.
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2012
    Red She-Hulk being all bad ass and ultimately killing someone is to show that there is something not quite right with her. With the other Hulks all on teams I think Parker is trying to re-establish the old "Hulk vs Everybody" story that is at the core of the Hulk character.

While I agree this probably wasn't the best way to do a first issue(which it wasn't) I hardly think it deserves a "pants." The art was solid and the story was basically a classic Hulk story..with the added twist of the death at the end.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I have to say I have no interest in Marvel Now at all but its an entertaining episode so far. Matt's comment about the quality of creative teams after the AR bit was played was priceless.
    Speaking of Matt and getting completely off topic, why doesn't he have a surname? I know he actually has one, just wondering why its not used on the show when everyone else uses their's.

I workshopped "Matty Knightfall" but it just didn't sound right, so I've been trying the old Cher, Madonna, Duffy, Buzz 'surname-less' approach. :)

Actually, with my career, I try to minimize the amount of information about me out there. Seeing what steps we do to locate and conduct backgrounds on people, I try to make it that much harder for people to do the same. That's why I don't use my last name (though it's been put out there before), don't have Facebook, Google+, etc. I have a Twitter account, but I don't have my name on that either. It's not impossible to find me, but I'm not handing the keys over to everyone.

Also, I would be lying if I said I was unaware of my employer searching other employee's social media accounts every once and a while.

M.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Matt said:

I have to say I have no interest in Marvel Now at all but its an entertaining episode so far. Matt's comment about the quality of creative teams after the AR bit was played was priceless.

I workshopped "Matty Knightfall" but it just didn't sound right, so I've been trying the old Cher, Madonna, Duffy, Buzz 'surname-less' approach. :)
    And Matty Ballgame was already taken by one of the former hosts of Filmspotting! ;)
  • Parker had been using Machine Man in his Hulk book, he was working with Red Hulk in it. As someone who had been reading that series I didn't find it strange for him to show up in Red She-Hulk.
  • Sorry to be slightly off-topic here, but when are we going to see November previews?

I enjoyed this show as always. I'd heard a general lack of enthusiasm for Uncanny Avengers #1 before I read it, but I actually rather enjoyed it. Maybe it was low expectations going in, but it felt like a promising set-up and I have absolute faith in Remender to deliver the goods.
  • Sorry to be slightly off-topic here, but when are we going to see November previews?

It's on our recording schedule for this week.

• NKQNKQ Posts: 24
    edited November 2012
    While I've not read any of these Marvel Now books, I do recall that Machine Man was one of the main characters in the Earth X series.
  • I'm just waiting for the inevitable follow-up, when they formally reboot the MU. They'll likely call it Marvel THEN.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    There was some question about Marvel not having a multiverse? Did something happen after Exiles were over that made them not have a multiverse? Excalibur or Captain Britain had a lot to do with multiverse stuff as well.

And I really like A+X now I can have a fun story whenever one of my favorites shows up and I don't have to follow up with a big overall story.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Going back to these "Marvel Now" episodes since, thanks to Marvel giving away those 700+ #1s, I can now read along. The books I've read so far are pretty cool. If they would be more affordable I'd buy them all. Pretty sad that none of the books got any price reductions yet - even digitally. On the other hand - I might get a few HCs/TPBs if the price is right.

I definitely read more Marvel than DC right now.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Didn't read Red She-Hulk #58 (not available to me...) Enjoyed Marvel Now Point One #1 would rate it with a "borrow" though (glad I got it for nada).
    A Plus X #1 was awesome. I still consider myself a newbie to Marvel and thus appreciate those self-contained stories. It kind of reads like an introduction to the characters. Nice art too. I rate it with a strong "buy" (if only they would drop the price at least to 1.99...)