Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Peanuts

CGI "Peanuts" Feature To Take On Marvel's "Ant-Man"

(20th Century Fox) 20th Century Fox has slightly revised their 2015 schedule, moving two of their major animated releases to earlier dates. The recently announced Charles Schulz inspired Peanuts film will now hit theaters three weeks earlier and B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations will move up more than a month.

Previously dated for November 25, 2015, the Peanuts film will now see release on November 6, 2015. That puts it up against the Marvel Studios property Ant-Man.

Vacating that same date, B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations will now arrive in theaters on September 25, 2015, a date currently clear of any competition.

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    CGI Peanuts? Oh, man, I don't know if I want to see Charlie Brown in three dimensions. That would be way too weird.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Yep, not liking the concept of Peanuts done in cgi.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2012
    Good.
    Grief.

And perhaps the Vince Guaraldi score will be replaced by Daft Punk?

(I feel old today.)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    CGI is better that casting actual people and trying to pass them off, I suppose (save that for local productions of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, you know?), but still.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Scott Kurtz of PVPonline.com had a pretty solid take on this, and I pretty much agree with him on it. His words follow (with one emboldened section by me):
    Good Grief

it’s a perfect phrase for the way I’m feeling about new Peanuts content in a post Schulz world.

Charles Schulz always insisted that only he could draw Peanuts. I know this because it said so in his obituary.

Nobody is trying to draw new Peanuts comic strips. The daily syndicated feature, which still runs in papers, consists of reruns. But last year, Boom Studios released a new Peanuts comic book that features brand new stories written and drawn by not Charles Schulz.

And now there’s news of a new feature length animated movie, by the makers of Ice Age. That’s right. I said the makers of Ice Age. The new movie, we’re being told, will be scripted by Craig Schulz and Bryan Schulz, who are Schulz’s son and grandson. We’re being told this because why? That’s good news? That means it’s going to be okay?

Look, I’m a cartoonist, and while my comic strip is pretty retarded when compared to Peanuts, I care very deeply about the work and the characters that inhabit it. I love my wife with all of my heart but I don’t want her writing PvP. Nor my brother, who is probably the only other person on the planet who thinks about PvP as much as I do. I don’t have kids but if I did I would encourage them to tell their own stories with their own characters and not feel burdened to carry my flag. If I wouldn’t trust anyone else to get something as dumb as PvP right, how can we expect anyone else to get Peanuts right?

Dear America, it’s okay for things to die. It’s poetic and gives the work more meaning that there ISN’T more of it. We don’t have to keep making shit until we dilute it to a point where we fucking hate it.

Nobody else can make new Peanuts because Peanuts was an expression of everything that was Charles Schulz. It was him channeled through ink onto paper. Any new Peanuts content can only be dirivitive(sic) works. If Charles Schulz didn’t write and draw it, it’s not Peanuts. It’s a reasonable facsimile at best and an unreasonable one at worst.

End of argument.

I know that there are some cartoonists (Mort Walker, Dik Browne, Bil Keane), who worked with and groomed their sons to take over their comic strips. I have read nothing to indicate that this is what happened in the Schulz household. Ever. Everything I’ve ever read on the subject or heard from the man himself in interviews or talking directly to his widow was that the strip stopped when he stopped.

The man passed away hours before his final strip ran. I don’t know how more clear he could have been on the subject.

Stop. Making. More. Peanuts.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I love when Kurtz gets going, he went off on the Peanuts subject on the Comic Dorks podcast a few weeks back. I didn't completely agree with him at first, but I'm leaning more his way now.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

Good.
    Grief.

And perhaps the Vince Guaraldi score will be replaced by Daft Punk?

(I feel old today.)

Welcome to my world.
  • Options
    I'm saddened by this, but not surprised.

Since Shulz passed away, the licensing and appearances of the characters have been massively ramped up. I don't necessarily want to disparage those left behind, but it sure seems like they were waiting for him to be gone so they could cash in.

I don't know. It isn't like a Superman or Batman. It isn't a case of hundreds... thousands of people having a hand in the continuing stories of the characters. This was small... personal.

Yeah, I agree with Kurtz.