Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New 52 plus other Comics wikipedia pages

I often check in on the wikipedia pages of comic book series, especially the ones I don't read. It might sound weird, but when I wasn't reading Superman I would check in on the page for the comic book just to read about what had been going on in the comic books. Not sure if any of you have ever done this, but generally the characters history would be on a timeline, and then there'd be a section like "One Year Later" and they'd talk about the event and Superman's role in it. Or whatever. The page would talk about creator changes and other major happenings.

Anyway, I bring this up because with the New 52 I've checked in on a few books' wikipedia entries to read about what has gone on in the book, to see if there is anything interesting going on in the book that i might want to pick up. The wikipedia articles for the new 52 are severely lacking. At first I just thought, "meh, it'll pick up. It just started." But now its been over a year and some of the wikipedia entries only talk about the very beginning of the new 52. Others only talk about maybe one or two issues. Very little information is given about creators. Even the wikipedia entries themselves list the sections for the New 52 as being largely incomplete and in need of work.

I don't know if any of you are a major Wikipedia user like me (I've never done any edits, but I read it all the time), but I thought this would be a good thing for us to tackle. We've all read parts, big or small, of the various New 52. We could talk about the books, the creator changes and secondarily what the public reaction has been. Wikipedia discurages editors speaking about how they personally feel, but it would be appropriate to discuss other reviews from popular comic book sites, sales figures etc.

Comments

• Options
    Planeis said:

Even the wikipedia entries themselves list the sections for the New 52 as being largely incomplete and in need of work.

So, too, are the New52 themselves.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Planeis said:

Even the wikipedia entries themselves list the sections for the New 52 as being largely incomplete and in need of work.

So, too, are the New52 themselves.

Ba-dum Ching!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Aw cmon. Is there no title you like?
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Aw cmon. Is there no title you like?

A couple, yes, and I was being glib, even if there was a big grain of truth to my flippant remark. For the most part, I think the New 52 are incomplete. A few of them are still running the same storylines that they began with over a year ago. (Rotworld in both Swamp Thing and Animal Man, for example.) A lot of the rest don't feel like they've really finished up anything or followed through on plotlines, or really given us enough of the immediate world that some of the characters live in. And all of them feel like they've been running and running on since the New52 began, without any break in the action. I really miss the two or three pages comics used to have that centered on the hero's private life where he dealt with family or school or work, just to show us that he had a life before he got powers, still has a life to shoehorn in between Crises, and still has mundane concerns in the life that he needs to deal with after he takes down the Anti-Monitor. I'm being pretty general here, but that is the overall impression I get from nearly every book I've read over the past year, even in the titles that I like. I think they are all in need of work.