Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Fearless Defenders

"During the ReEvolution panel at New York Comic-Con, Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso hinted at plans for a couple of new female-led comics, one of which he promised would be a "kick-ass team book." Today Marvel formally unveiled that book; Fearless Defenders, by Cullen Bunn (Sixth Gun) and Will Sliney (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)."

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/11/08/fearless-defenders-all-female-team-marvel-now-cullen-bunn-will-sloney/

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Just read the final issue (#12) of the most recent incarnation of the Defenders book yesterday. It was a disappointing end to a book that started with much promise.

I have always been a huge fan of the Defenders "non-team" format with a rotating cast of mismatched heroes. Maybe even more than the Avengers.

I was pleasantly surprised by Valkyrie's Fear Itself aftermath mini-series and this looks like it could be a fun ride. Speculating on which women will join the line-up is super fun, and I'm hoping to avoid spoilers until I see the team take shape within the pages of the actual issues (yeah, good luck).

Fingers-crossed Hellcat is in the mix.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm with ya on Hellcat @Hex. She's been greatly under used.

I gave Fraction's Defenders a try, I couldn't get into it. I loved reading the Defenders back in the late 70's through mid 80's and it's a shame Fraction couldn't pull it off.

I'm up for a new take on the team with Bunn at the helm.
  • Options
    I loved the original Defenders series, especially the classic Steve Gerber run, but after that, what's really the point? There have been something like a half-dozen attempts to revive the series using different combinations of heroes and the original team, and absolutely nothing has really gelled with the readers. At least this last version had most of the original team. But even that couldn't help save it. I give this one a year at most, and I'm being generous.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    The Fearless was really good but the latest Defenders series never clicked for me. As of now I'm not really sure what to think of it. The female characters that they've named so far are an interesting mix and I might give it a shot for that alone.
  • Options
    Even without the "Defenders" name, an all female rooster of butt-kicking broads exploring various corners of the Marvel Universe is a monthly book that I can't pass up. Throw in a little Defenders history and nostalgia and Marvel's hand is in my pocket.

Now if only Cullen Bunn would script in Dollar Bill following them around with a camera.
    Seriously... Dollar Bill would be all over a team like this!
  • Options
    I don't know WHY they are using this name for a book...there hasn't been a successful Defenders comic in 30 years, and they JUST used the name with Fraction and Dodson and people didn't buy it. Why saddle a new series with a name that people have shown will be attached to books they won't buy?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I don't get why they are using this name either. I almost think simply going with "The Fearless" would have been better. Or, and I know this seems to be heresy, they could have just come up with a NEW NAME.

Strange naming aside, I do give Marvel credit for giving more of a push to female characters in the last few months. They are still behind DC on that count (though I think Marvel actually employs more female creators than the DCU, especially in the case of writers).
  • Options
    I think the main reasons for using the name are, firstly, to connect to a piece of Marvel history, and, secondly, to keep the trademark and property alive and viable. Trademarked properties have to be used every so often in order to retain the trademark; that's why so many characters are revived from time to time, or else the name is reapplied to a new character. Of course, in the case of the Defenders, I don't think there's been enough of a break between any of the last few consecutive series for there to have been any real worry of the trademark lapsing.
  • Options
    After the initial renewal, trademarks only have to be renewed once every ten years, so that's certainly not an issue. Usually Marvel will rest a title like the Defenders for a minimum of two or three years before trying again. I wonder if they’re trying to keep the name visible in hopes of a new movie franchise. Imagine spinning The Defenders out of an Avengers Vs. The Defenders movie.
  • Options
    The Champions would have been a great name..oh wait..yeah..that trademark thing.
  • Options
    What time of the month does this come out? I can't read it if all they do is get emotional and scream and shout at men.
    O:-)
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm in. If DC can have Birds of Prey, Marvel should be able to follow suit.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I just wish it was Fearless Defenders for Hire, but I'm in
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Cover looks great, daft question but is that the interior artist?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Krescan said:

I just wish it was Fearless Defenders for Hire

Naughty.
  • Options
    Uncanny Fearless Invading X-Defender Force!
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Torchsong said:

You forgot NOW! on the end. ;)
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    luke52 said:

Torchsong said:

You forgot NOW! on the end. ;)
    Point One

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Krescan said:

As long as there are tentacles on the cover.

• Options

Krescan said:

As long as there are tentacles on the cover.

Ha! I'd almost forgotten about that.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Two issues in. Any thoughts? Enjoying it, but not LOVING it.
    To date we have Val, Misty, and it looks like Dani Moonstar is set to join the line-up. Warrior Woman (?) looks to be a new character for the team.
    Unfortunately, still no Hellcat on the horizon.
  • Options
    If Misty's there we need Colleen to show up at some point. Don't need Heroes for Hire necessarily, but they are the Daughters of the Dragon still, right?

Also, anyone else noticing a pattern of women-only or women-majority teams showing up of late? Not that there's any problem with that, mind you... :)
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm digging it so far. I thought the second issue was a bit quieter than the first, but Bunn made a good argument for the asskickery potential of Dani Moonstar (a character I've never had particularly strong feelings about, for good or ill), and Warrior Woman/Hippolyta seems like she might be an interesting addition, especially given her "sponsor" for inclusion in the cast. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm enjoying it, I'm ok with Bunn taking whatever time he needs to get the story going proper.

Warrior Woman aka Hippolyta is not new per se, she first appeared in Thor and has appeared in a few other titles. I think she appeared in Champions but past that her use has been pretty sparse. I like the armor they gave her.

The book wasn't meant to be a "Defenders" book, the title was forced on Bunn by Marvel but Bunn has teased that we may see the likes of Hellcat and Moondragon. I'm holding out hope that Red Guardian makes a comeback of some kind and I'm not entirely sure if that is in the realm of possibilities for this book.

Like Torchsong, I think we need Colleen involved. With the set up so far, having Colleen join up with Misty and the team for an arc here and there is a no brainer, the potential is there for some good DotD stories.

I was mistaken on the villian, for some reason I thought we were getting Morgan Le Fay, not this Caroline person.