Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1298 Talkback: Comic Talk

In this episode we discuss Disney's purchase of Lucasfilm and how it might affect the Star Wars movies, comics and toys, DC's upcoming Katana, Vibe and Justice League of America books and some spoiler filled TV talk on The Walking Dead and Arrow. (1:08:44)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    edited November 2012
    Disney cannot do any worse than Phantom Menace and some of the worst aspects of the prequels (or even the original films; I hated the ewoks even as a kid; refused to buy any of the Kenner ewok toys). I'm excited about the new films.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Arrow has been pretty good.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Yeah I agree I'm really enjoying it. We've only had the first four here in the uk and along with Boardwalk Empire it's the highlight of my tv week.

The more I hear about Vibe the more I'm interested in it. I was going wait and get the trade if the reviews are good, but I think I'll get the first issue to check it out now.

JLA, 54 variants in total is a little ridiculous and excessive. I'm sure people will buy them though. I'll just be picking up the one copy though.

I'm excited to see what Disney does with Star Wars. As Shane said they've done a great job with The Muppets and Marvel, and Pixar has continued to thrive under Disney. Roll on 2015!
  • Options
    Another fine episode, gentlemen.

Shane, The Hobbit is a great book for young kids. Happy to hear you're raising your boys right. :D I was introduced to it by my second grade teacher, when I was 7 or 8. She read it to us in class and then we created puppets and did a play for our parents. I was so taken with the book that I borrowed my uncle's copy and would re-read, at night, each section as my teacher read them to us. I'm anxious for the movie - though I'm curious why Peter Jackson needs three films to do the book justice, but we'll see.

Years later, my parents commissioned that same second grade teacher - who was also a local artist - to do a watercolor of The Hobbit. She based the figures on the animated film that came out in the 70s. It's gorgeous. I'll have to get a picture and post it up.

And, to the question of Star Wars, now that it's out of Lucas's hands, as far as the primary writing and directing, I am far more interested in the next films than I ever would have been. I've only seen each of the prequels once and do not plan on ever watching them again. But these new ones, under Disney's banner, these are going to be good.

chris
  • Options

Shane, The Hobbit is a great book for young kids. Happy to hear you're raising your boys right. :D I was introduced to it by my second grade teacher, when I was 7 or 8. She read it to us in class and then we created puppets and did a play for our parents. I was so taken with the book that I borrowed my uncle's copy and would re-read, at night, each section as my teacher read them to us. I'm anxious for the movie - though I'm curious why Peter Jackson needs three films to do the book justice, but we'll see.

My understanding is that Jackson is incorporating a lot of the backstory, including an incident hinted at but not described in detail in The Hobbit, but which was more fully detailed in The Silmarillion. Still, I can't see that being more than maybe two movies at best.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946

My understanding is that Jackson is incorporating a lot of the backstory, including an incident hinted at but not described in detail in The Hobbit, but which was more fully detailed in The Silmarillion. Still, I can't see that being more than maybe two movies at best.
    He is also adding material from the LoTR appendices, exactly what I do not know.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    He can add parts of the New Zealand phone book - I'm soooooo ready to see the movies 3:-O
  • Options
    supermattsupermatt Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

He can add parts of the New Zealand phone book - I'm soooooo ready to see the movies 3:-O

Boy, you're in for a treat. The Government listings alone will just blow your mind.

• Options
    Shane, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but there is a Lego Hobbit boardgame, similar to the one they did for Harry Potter. My daughter bought it with her birthday money a couple of days ago, but we haven't played it yet. I figured that might be right up your alley.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

The Hobbit is the only JRRT book I liked. But still don't see why it should be three movies. I miss the old Peter Jackson that made low budget horror/comedies. But it seems that Peter Jackson is gone now.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Okay, well...I will just say that with the Disney purchase at least things will get MOVING! That's what I like about the whole thing. I've liked the Katana character since her first appearance, but I don't really see how she and Vibe can carry their own books. However I will check them all out. I was glad to hear the excitement from Pants and Shane about both Walking Dead and Arrow. I won't see them for a few years probably, but I like that some folks like the shows.
  • Options
    alienal said:

Okay, well...I will just say that with the Disney purchase at least things will get MOVING! That's what I like about the whole thing. I've liked the Katana character since her first appearance, but I don't really see how she and Vibe can carry their own books. However I will check them all out. I was glad to hear the excitement from Pants and Shane about both Walking Dead and Arrow. I won't see them for a few years probably, but I like that some folks like the shows.

I've also liked Katana from her first appearance. She's a great character, and could really do well in her own book. Unfortunately, this New52 version isn't that character, and thus far I've found this new version to be really unlikeable. Maybe Mike W Barr could fix her, but otherwise...

And she really loses a lot without her relationship to Halo. I really miss Halo.
  • Options
    PurEDrOnEAgEPurEDrOnEAgE Posts: 11
    edited November 2012
    I am just watching the walking dead season 2 and can't wait for season 3.Although I never read a single "walking dead" comic. I have a question though: The Zombie always want to eat, but they don't need to right? they don't die because of hunger, do they?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087

I have a question though: The Zombie always want to eat, but they don't need to right? they don't die because of hunger, do they?

Zombies are not 100% dead. According to zombie lore the part in the brain where the basic motoric skills and primal instincts are located is still intact. That's why one has to destroy their brain alltogether in order to kill kill them.