Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Scanner Darkly

I know the films been out for ages, but I've only just seen it, and I absolutely loved it! None of my friends who are, you know, 'flesh' have seen it so I thought I'd ask here! Thoughts on this film?

Cheers, Will

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I havent watched it for a long time, but i remember I found it a really hard watch. Can't remember much else. May need to give it another go.
  • Options
    NickSDNickSD Posts: 14
    LOVE it. This movie really captures Philip K Dick at his Philip K Dickiest, stream of consciousness, abstract, post-modernist novel, put on film...
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I love that film. One of the few with Keanu that I enjoy. Really enjoyed the story and was wondering how it would translate to film. But the retroscoped style works great for this story.
  • Options
    It faithfully captures the book I think, which means that basically its quite hard going. Not quite as mentally headache inducing as the book though and the main twist is sort of spoiled slightly but otherwise good. You should give the book a try.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

I know the films been out for ages, but I've only just seen it, and I absolutely loved it! None of my friends who are, you know, 'flesh' have seen it so I thought I'd ask here! Thoughts on this film?

Cheers, Will

What about your robot friends? Have they seen it? :D
  • Options
    Well my robot friends aren't allowed independent thought, so there wouldn't be any point in asking them really. I'm definitely going to get my hands on the book now I've seen it, I haven't read a huge amount of his work; I've read Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in The High Castle. I was thinking I'd read some more then watch all the films based on his work in one or two sittings (I think I've seen all of them), it shall be a veritable 'Dick-athon'. Okay that needs rephrasing.

Cheers, Will
  • Options

Well my robot friends aren't allowed independent thought, so there wouldn't be any point in asking them really. I'm definitely going to get my hands on the book now I've seen it, I haven't read a huge amount of his work; I've read Ubik, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in The High Castle. I was thinking I'd read some more then watch all the films based on his work in one or two sittings (I think I've seen all of them), it shall be a veritable 'Dick-athon'. Okay that needs rephrasing.

Cheers, Will

If you can find them anywhere, you might be interested in looking up some of the paperback original novels based on The Prisoner TV series; Dick wrote a couple of them, which seems appropriate.
  • Options

Cheers, Will

If you can find them anywhere, you might be interested in looking up some of the paperback original novels based on The Prisoner TV series; Dick wrote a couple of them, which seems appropriate.
    Did not know Dick wrote some of the Prisoner books. I will have to track them down. I love the show and PKD's writing.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Always meant to see it because I'm a Richard Linklater fan, but never really got around to it. I should probably put it back on the To See list and make the effort!
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip about The Prisoner books! And @LibraryBoy you should definitely give it a shot, it's really good, and has some genuinely brilliant moments in it, be they funny or darker!
  • Options

Thanks for the tip about The Prisoner books! And @LibraryBoy you should definitely give it a shot, it's really good, and has some genuinely brilliant moments in it, be they funny or darker!

A Scanner Darkly and Requiem for a Dream are two films that really show what it is like to be addicted to some thing. Talking to friends that have had their battle with drug addiction they have told me how well both these films capture the mindset of an addict.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Cheers, Will

Did not know Dick wrote some of the Prisoner books. I will have to track them down. I love the show and PKD's writing.

I'm afraid I must correct myself. It was Thomas Disch who wrote the Prisoner novels that I was thinking of, not Philip K Dick. My apologies for the confusion and the misinformation.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Requiem for a dream is an amazingly made film. A real eye opener when it comes to addiction.