Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1300 Talkback: Marvel Now! Round Three

We continue with our reviews of the newest batch of Marvel Now books. In this episode we discuss All-New X-Men #1, Fantastic Four #1, Thor: God of Thunder #1, X-Men Legacy #1 and Avengers Assemble #9. (1:43:14)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on 1300!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reviews, I was on the fence about starting up Fantastic Four again, partly because last i remember hearing about them Johnny Storm was dead. He looks alive and well.

I will also make sure to stay away from that donkey dick
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The only issue I read of this batch was Fantastic Four. It's a set up issue. It's fine, it's good. I'm not a big fan of Matt Fraction, but he did good with this and I'll get the next few issues to see how it goes.

That is the cosmic control rod that Johnny is wearing on his arm.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited November 2012
    Loved Thor, God of Thunder. Just freaking gorgeous with an interesting story. Love the idea of a god hunter/predetor. That title is going in my hold slot. "Bring me my arm!" was an awesome line. You often hear/read "To Arms!" Bring me my arm was a nice twist. And then, you see the arm Thor's using! So cool!

X-Men is equally beautiful. However, I have a sense that the story can get bogged down and smothered under the weight of all the varying elements. This will be an issue by issue buy for me.

Fantastic Four. I'm lukewarm on it. The setup reminded me of a Thomas & Buckler (?) story that I read in my youth. Also, Hickman's run was soooooo good that, at least for me, I think there's going to be an inevitable let down. Sure, it's not fair to Fraction, but what can I say. The last few "one and done" issues by Hickman were almost perfect comics.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    With many of you confused as to Angel's status, I HIGHLY recommend The Dark Angel Saga by Rick Remender. Best X-Men stuff I've read in years.

Anyone have the podcast go into just the right channel after Jamie left?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    abuddah said:

One of the cables got caught in Jamie's chair and it came out when he left. I noticed it a few minutes later and fixed it.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Oh, thought it was my speakers...
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited November 2012
    I've only read a handful of the Marvel Now books, but Avengers Assemble #9 has been my favorite thus far, so I was surprised to hear the chorus of Borrows. I thought Kelly Sue DeConnick did a good job of balancing the regular Marvel Universe with the sort of characterization and dialog that people familiar with the movie would appreciate. I also liked that she wasn't afraid to have fun with the story. So many of these post-AvX releases have been a bit dour, so it was a nice change to see an adventure that hinges on / comes about because of a bet between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner. And this:

might be my favorite comic book moment of the year. Hulk hating natural peanut butter reminds me of the Hulk meme we had running through some threads on the last forum. Good stuff! Hate the $3.99 price tag, though. That's the only think giving me pause at the idea of picking this up monthly.

The only other one if this week's I read was Fantastic Four. It didn't "wow" me as much as I hoped, but it made me curious enough to check out FF and then come back to try issue #2. My biggest question throughout, though, was why it was that some of Bagley's pencils had an Alan Davis vibe to them. Guess that's the Mark Farmer presence in the book! Hadn't really thought about the connection before.
  • Options

So many of these post-AvX releases have been a bit dour, so it was a nice change to see an adventure that hinges on / comes about because of a bet between Tony Stark and Bruce Banner.

They're not dour, they're low-key. :D
  • Options

They're not dour, they're low-key. :D

And we all know what happens when Loki gets involved!
  • Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited November 2012
    guys, it's one thing to not like certain books, but some of the nitpicking in these "reviews" reached an all time high of hilarity.

Murd- X-Men Legacy is about Prof X's son exploring the Mutant world, and what His Father's work and legacy means to him, hence the title. Don't gripe about what the title used to mean, they're taking a different POV. Like I said,it's one thing to not like the book, but the use of the title does make sense, unless you're dwelling on an expectaion rather than judge what the story is,beyond the book's cover.

Same to Matt- Lots of piddly nit picks about Fantastic Four and the coming new FF team "Why isn't FF going to have She-Hulk or a different Powerhouse?" Because that's not the story Fraction and Allred want to tell. We've already seen tons of "She Hulk in the FF" stories. Nothing wrong with trying something new.

Based on the usual fun lunacy you get from Fraction and Allred individually I think we're in for another X-Static/X-force kind of ride.

As for your Donkey dick review of X-Men Legacy (hilarious) - David didn't know his father and as you point out has resentful and confusing daddy issues. It does happen in real life too. That is a valid story choice, despite your dismissal of it.

again it's fine that this book doesn't interest you, but the notion of a vertigo style x-book is intriguing to some, and with multiple x titles, isn't it good that marvel is trying something new with an X-Book?

The worst kind of reviews are ones where "critics" come in with pre-conceived notions of what a product SHOULD be, rather than look at what they are.
  • Options
    They got me. Stopped by a comic book shop I'd not been to on a whim and picked up Thor, Iron Man, and All-New X-Men. Man, I can't keep paying those prices, though.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

guys, it's one thing to not like certain books, but some of the nitpicking in these "reviews" reached an all time high of hilarity.

Murd- X-Men Legacy is about Prof X's son exploring the Mutant world, and what His Father's work and legacy means to him, hence the title. Don't gripe about what the title used to mean, they're taking a different POV. Like I said,it's one thing to not like the book, but the use of the title does make sense, unless you're dwelling on an expectaion rather than judge what the story is,beyond the book's cover.

Same to Matt- Lots of piddly nit picks about Fantastic Four and the coming new FF team "Why isn't FF going to have She-Hulk or a different Powerhouse?" Because that's not the story Fraction and Allred want to tell. We've already seen tons of "She Hulk in the FF" stories. Nothing wrong with trying something new.

Based on the usual fun lunacy you get from Fraction and Allred individually I think we're in for another X-Static/X-force kind of ride.

As for your Donkey dick review of X-Men Legacy (hilarious) - David didn't know his father and as you point out has resentful and confusing daddy issues. It does happen in real life too. That is a valid story choice, despite your dismissal of it.

again it's fine that this book doesn't interest you, but the notion of a vertigo style x-book is intriguing to some, and with multiple x titles, isn't it good that marvel is trying something new with an X-Book?

The worst kind of reviews are ones where "critics" come in with pre-conceived notions of what a product SHOULD be, rather than look at what they are.

I know it's "piddly nit picks," but when I'm trying to enjoy a BBQ gathering in the summer and gnats are constantly flying around my face it's hard for me to stick with staying outside and it'll greatly effect my enjoyment of the gathering.

Same with my nit picks about Fantastic Four. You're 100% right that the simple reasoning the creative team could give is "this is the story WE want to tell." Full disclosure, when my parents gave me the old "because I said so" never sat well with me either. I have no problems with people standing on their opinions, but even if I don't agree with the opinions, I still need to see how you're connecting the dots to get that opinion. (As a detective, it's hard NOT to try to connect the dots.)

If the creative staff said (even in an interview) we're doing this way because A, B, & C, I could get past my nit picks. I just like to see the thought process. I threw She-Hulk out there as an example of an establish powerhouse who doesn't suit up for that powerhouse. It could easily be Luke Cage, Doc Sampson, or Colossus.

As for David's story in X-Men: Legacy, I do understand people suffer from this same issue (I'm always reading people, so I look for these types of things), but I guess I'm questioning why his training wouldn't address dealing with his daddy issues. Sure, have multiple personalities with multiple powers is a major hurdle to jump, but part of "curing" his condition would be addressing this issue.

As I admitted, I'm not too familiar with the character (X-Men lost me when multiple titles emerged), so I don't know if it's daddy issues that's causing his MPD to develop and overtake his psyche. Continuously working on a house that's unstable will never solve the issue if work isn't starting with the foundation and working up.

Good assessment of our assessment, though.
    M.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    And I find it funny that rather than address any of the counter points I make, all you do is complain that all I do is criticize you.

Are your critiques beyond scrutiny?

Is Marvel wrong , should they decide to turn "Journey Into Mystery" into a Hannibal King detective book, instead of the Asgard book it's been for decades?

Talking comics to me is like talking sports. Try not to take a different POV than your own as a personal attack.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

And I find it funny that rather than address any of the counter points I make, all you do is complain that all I do is criticize you.

Are your critiques beyond scrutiny?

Is Marvel wrong , should they decide to turn "Journey Into Mystery" into a Hannibal King detective book, instead of the Asgard book it's been for decades?

Talking comics to me is like talking sports. Try not to take a different POV than your own as a personal attack.

Wait, is this to Adam or to me? If its me, I thought I did use your POVs in my response. And I rarely take anything on these forums as a personal attack; I've got pretty thick skin.

If its to Adam, I can only deduce he's trying to put everything into perspective.

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Not to detract from any of your above-listed points, John, but may I just mention how amusing I find it that a fellow who never seems to post on these forums for any reason other than to call attention to our errors, omissions, and general shortcomings as comics podcasters, many of them quite minor, IMO, is now taking us to task for nitpicking? ;)

Well said, sir.
    There should be a "HA!" icon to select under this post.
  • Options
    This forum certainly got heavy! I have to say, just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. I was down to 3 monthly titles from Marvel and now I am already on for the long haul with Fantastic Four, Deadpool (second issue showed drastic improvements, as I said it would), All-new X-men and Thor, GoT. For my money, Fantastic Four is the best of the bunch. Is it as good as Hickman's run? no, but that's like asking if Led Zeppelin is as good as The Beatles. NOTHING is as good as The Beatles, but Zeppelin kicked plenty of ass in their own right. The first issue seemed to be setting us up for an epic sci-fi adventure, which is what this book has always been at it's best. Also, as I mentioned on my last post, the AR app for Fantastic Four was actually quite useful and enhanced my reading of it (except for the Thing's run-in with a webcam, that was a bit frivolous).

All-new X-men is a highly accessible book, which is what Marvel needed with their X-books. This is the first X-men I haven't been intimidated to read in ages. That's why I picked it up, and I loved it.

Thor, GoT was interesting. The art was pitch-perfect and the story felt like a 0 issue set-up for something big. However, I am hoping that we only see this multiple time period schtick for this issue because it does make for a book that is very difficult to get in single issues. Over a long run, Grant Morrison would find that hard to follow.

All-in-all, NOW has been a rousing success so far. It didn't stir anger the way TN52 did and it set the bar lower, thus drastically exceeding my expectations, I approve.
  • Options
    edited November 2012

"Wait, is this to Adam or to me? If its me, I thought I did use your POVs in my response. And I rarely take anything on these forums as a personal attack; I've got pretty thick skin.

If its to Adam, I can only deduce he's trying to put everything into perspective."

It was to Murd Matt.

• Options
    My favorite Marvel now book so far is Thor I think it was the best reader friendly for people who have not read the last few years of Thor. As for All New X men I like Scott being so pro active in his continued goal of protecting mutants. I loved the art but the first issue seemed really short to me. It felt like I was reading half an issue instead of a whole issue and I know it was over 20 pages. FF was ok so far although being such a fan of the previous run this issue did not wow me yet but it did set up a new jumping on point for readers. Invicible Iron Man has a fun premise and I dont mind the art but I think it would do the book more justice to have a less polarizing art team.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Wow at first glance I thought that was Red She-Hulk sitting au naturel

It took awhile to realize it was Spider-Woman
  • Options
    I enjoyed Avengers Assembled 9 and i didnt think anything of it before I read it. i thought it was a fun book but without being too silly.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

Wow at first glance I thought that was Red She-Hulk sitting au naturel

It took awhile to realize it was Spider-Woman
    I didn't realize it was at all until your post. If I'm correct, Red She-Hulk is Betty Banner right? So her sitting there with Hulk naked wouldn't be too far out there which is why I just assumed that's what it was.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    If you're a Cyclops fan you must check out the AvX Consequences mini series. It's all about him and what makes him decide to become a revolutionary. Great stuff...or...you can tune in to our coverage (click image below).

All New X-Men: I liked it a lot. To me it seemed completely accessible to new readers which is the point of a number one issue. However I think you guys are reading too much into the purpose of the relaunch. It isn't a reboot like D.C. I say this because I hear a lot of Batman and Green Lantern references thrown around. The only thing Marvel Now books needs to do is be somewhat accessible. I think leaving a little leg work for the readers can be a good thing. It used to be back issue hunting now it's as easy as jumping online.

I think the only thing I could find fault is that I wanted more. Like right away, I miss the double sized first issue. I'm beginning to wonder if the purpose of them going bi-weekly for the first six issues is to build to something with the release of Uncanny X-Men #1. Can't remember what else I wanted to say...

Thor God of Thunder: next issue please.
    DarrellT said:

I enjoyed Avengers Assembled 9 and i didnt think anything of it before I read it. i thought it was a fun book but without being too silly.

Yeah I thought the book was great and the light hearted approach gave it a unique feel out of all the other Marvel Now Avengers books.
    abuddah said:

With many of you confused as to Angel's status, I HIGHLY recommend The Dark Angel Saga by Rick Remender. Best X-Men stuff I've read in years.

Ditto. You guys should really really cover this...
    Matt said:

As for David's story in X-Men: Legacy, I do understand people suffer from this same issue (I'm always reading people, so I look for these types of things), but I guess I'm questioning why his training wouldn't address dealing with his daddy issues. Sure, have multiple personalities with multiple powers is a major hurdle to jump, but part of "curing" his condition would be addressing this issue.

As I admitted, I'm not too familiar with the character (X-Men lost me when multiple titles emerged), so I don't know if it's daddy issues that's causing his MPD to develop and overtake his psyche. Continuously working on a house that's unstable will never solve the issue if work isn't starting with the foundation and working up.

Good assessment of our assessment, though.
    M.

David doesn't really have "serious" daddy issue. He feels slighted because in the past Xavier has put the X-Men before him. Most recently they have been working together to get David's powers under control. David used to have a watch like device to help him select his powers but he could only access a power once and then it was gone. It looks like by working with Xavier he has been able to take more control over his powers. So while there was some underlying tension with Daddy overall they were on good terms.

If you want to read up on Legion check out the first trade of the latest New Mutants run. Zeb Wells wrote an excellent story. This is where Legion gains access to the multiple powers. Before he only had three different personalities.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    All-New X-Men: hmm, low buy for me. Like MATT, I don't like the way Bendis stretches out stories and I don't especially like his realistic pop culture "up-to-date" gags and puns that he slips in from time to time.
    Fantastic Four: Ho-hum....a borrow for me. I did like the artwork, but it only felt like an establishing issue for me.
    Thor, God of Thunder: surprisingly, I would give this a buy! A new mythological villain character that kicks butt.
    X-Men Legacy: A borrow. I'm intrigued, but not enough to buy it every month. Unfortunately, I got the bundle so....anyway, like MATT, I don't really care about the character.
    Avengers Assemble #9: did you say this was part of the bundle? I haven't gotten yet. It sounds like fun, but I hate that decompressed style.