Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1302 Talkback: Spotlight on The Monkees

2»

Comments

• Options
    This episode of Eye on LA focused on the musicians that lived in Laural Canyon, and had a lot of information about the Monkees, including their relationship with Jimi Hendrix. Mickey Dolenz is a big part of the show, and at one point he pulls out some tapes that I would give my right arm to hear.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Saw the Monkees last in at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, NJ. Great show as expected. They sounded as good as an other nolstagia band I have seen and the tributes to Davy were not as sappy as I feared. Mickey's voice was strong if a little out of tune at first. Peter looked and sounded like I imagined a Monkees in their late 60's would look. The strongest songs were Mike's as I hoped. Sunny Girlfriend, You Told Me, What Am I Doing hanging' Round sounded fantastic. They did a heavy dose of Head which was unexpected and they dipped into the psychedellia with Tapiaoca Tundra, Daily Night, the Porpoise Song. It's easy to forget that aspect of them after the pop of Daydream Believer, I'm a Believer, Cuddly Toy but the Monkees' psychedlic stuff was very cool. Very glad to see them again and with Mike.
    Shook Pants' hand and saw Jamie D afterwards but could not hang around the shoot the breeze!
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    When I downloaded this episode I thought it was "Spotlight on Monsters" and was jazzed for that. I saw it was Monkees on second viewing, and was about to pass (I have never really heard many of their songs besides the big hits). Boy am I glad I listened, their music and show sound great. I ordered my first Monkees CD from Amazon and it will be getting here in a few days. @Pants' appreciation for the band is so contagious it's hard not to like them. Keep up the good work!