Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1306 Talkback: A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

Some follow up on our Monkees Spotlight, Karen Berger's departure from Vertigo, The Hobbit, The Walking Dead, Arrow, the Mayans and Legos are just some of what's discussed in this all over the place episode. (58:53)

Listen here.

Comments

• The only Tolkien book I've read was The Hobbit, so your guys's thoughts on seeing the movie without reading, or seeing other movies, which I've only seen the first two of the LOTR trilogy, helped put my mind at ease and I'm now really excited about seeing it (also the couple trailers that will be premiering with it).
  • Deemer and Ben should do a Lego show!
  • To Pants & Murd, Merle lied to The Governor about killing Michonne. That's why The Governor blames Merle on what's occurred and turned on him.
  • To Pants & Murd, Merle lied to The Governor about killing Michonne. That's why The Governor blames Merle on what's occurred and turned on him.

THANK you! I'd forgotten all about Merle's failed manhunt of a few episodes ago, and his misrepresentation of its outcome to the governor. Your explanation makes perfect sense.
  • JDickJDick Posts: 206

To Pants & Murd, Merle lied to The Governor about killing Michonne. That's why The Governor blames Merle on what's occurred and turned on him.

Exactly...that lie put all the events in motion. Losing the eye, discovery and death of Penny, attack on Woodberry, discovery of heads all spun out of that. I don't think he really believes that Merle is a traitor but he just lost his eye and daughter. He is super pissed and looking for someone to blame.

• abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Actually, the Green Arrow reference was to Eddie Van Halen's ex-wife
    B-)
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valerie_Bertinelli

I'm glad Pants can be won over by a few passing references, that stopped working on me after the 24+ eps of Smallville I watched.
  • DmanDman Posts: 163
    edited December 2012
    I really enjoyed this episode. I wish Karen Berger well. Its DC’s lost. Maybe she’ll come back to lead things when DC hits that reset button. I know. I know. It’s unlikely but a guy can hope.

Amen Shane! I’m right there with you when it comes to Fables. It appears that ABC’s Once Upon a Time is both a critical and commercial success and NBC’s Grimm seems to be a success of sorts as well but I just don’t care. If I’m going to commit myself to a fairy tale characters in modern time like series, then it has to be Fables. Now granted, I did check out the very first episode of OUAT, but I was quite underwhelmed and that was the only chance I was willing to give it. It just doesn’t seem right that these shows made it to TV before Fables. I always thought Fables belonged on a cable channel so since OUAT and Grimm are on broadcast stations, maybe a cable station will step up and start working on Fables. Oh well! We can always hope.

As for The Hobbit, I became quite concerned when Peter Jackson decided to do 3 films instead of 2. I’ve read The Hobbit a few times since I first brought it in a box set with Lord of the Rings in the early 80s and I could definitely see 2 films, but I thought 3 was overkill. Now that Mr. Jackson has announced that he’ll be incorporating quite a bit of The Simarillion into The Hobbit, I’m not as concerned because it makes sense and I’m really looking forward to the first Hobbit film. I’m also looking forward big time to my all day LoTR film marathon this coming Saturday at one of my favorite AMC theaters where all the seats are La-Z-Boy leather recliners. :)
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I can't wait to see The Hobbit. I'm fine with Jackson adding the material from The Simarillion and the Lord of the Ring appendices to squeeze out three movies. As far as the character he created for the movie, I have no problem with the new character and giving her some screen time, it's not going to kill the movie(s) nor the book it's based on.
  • Greg said:

I can't wait to see The Hobbit. I'm fine with Jackson adding the material from The Simarillion and the Lord of the Ring appendices to squeeze out three movies. As far as the character he created for the movie, I have no problem with the new character and giving her some screen time, it's not going to kill the movie(s) nor the book it's based on.

That's the first I've heard of this. What new character is he introducing to the story? I was aware that he was squeezing Arwen into the tale, but that, too, is just using some of the backstory material from the Simarillion. So who's the new character?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946

Greg said:

That's the first I've heard of this. What new character is he introducing to the story? I was aware that he was squeezing Arwen into the tale, but that, too, is just using some of the backstory material from the Simarillion. So who's the new character?
    Jackson and Fran Walsh added a character named Tauriel, she will be played by Evangeline Lily, the character is the captain of Mirkwood's elven guard.
  • Greg said:

Greg said:

Jackson and Fran Walsh added a character named Tauriel, she will be played by Evangeline Lily, the character is the captain of Mirkwood's elven guard.
    Hm. Okay. Sounds like a character I could either live with or without, and probably has no real impact. On the other hand, I certainly have no objections to watching Evangeline Lily on the big screen...
  • TobyToby Posts: 91
    I was listening to 1307 at work and heard that the first sketch giveaway was announced on 1306 so after I finished this episode I listened to 1306 and ....booyah. JK Woodward's goodness for early purchase of a SuperShow Golden Ticket paid off! Thanks fellas. I will try to reach him. I mean who wouldn't love this stuff...image
  • I love these types of conversations. They have the potential to go anywhere.
    I am very excited about the Hobbit, the Peter Jackson interpretations of the LOTR trillogy were quite well done. My only gripe is that is it scheduled to be its own trilogy. Seems a might bit unnecessary.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Was this the episode where everyone was bashing on Chris Hardwick? I like the guy. His podcast is good, he's using his heightened profile to make creative and nichey online programming, and I've met him after a couple of live shows and he's a really nice guy. Yes, he biffed that Comic Con intervee a couple years back in a big way, but by his own admission he's not much of a comics guy and your live interview is only as good as your P.A.s' research. To each their own, of course, but still.

That being said, never seen Talking Dead because I don't like Walking Dead, so the show may be a flaming pile of crap for all I know. But Hardwick's an okay guy.