Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1308 Talkback: Playin' the Ponies with Katie Cook and Andy Price

The creative team behind My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic #1, writer Katie Cook and artist Andy Price, join us in this episode.We discuss the public's (occasionally extreme) reaction to the book, getting kids into comics, the perils and pitfalls of Disneyland and more. (1:13:15)

Listen here.

Comments

• Thanks, Adam, for the shout out to us working on the MLP show. I really think Katie and Andy are doing an amazing job of delivering a Pony comic that really captures the tone and spirit and humor of what we try to put in to the episodes. Don't be a hater! Try the book, you just might like it.
  • Awesome episode. Love the ponies, of course. Still waiting for the comic to come from DCBS.

One thing I do want to comment on is the discussion of what comics to give to kids, and how the current comics are so violent. I completely support freedom of speech, and that it is ok for comics of all types of content to exist. I also completely agree that there are not enough current comics that are readable by children, and that is incredibly wrong.

However, it does seem to me like sometimes that people forget that there are almost 100 years of comics that already exist and are still available. If I had a kid now, I could not buy them the new copy of Batman. I can not dispute that. But there are stacks and stacks of DC Showcase Presents are there. I saw a kid with his grandma on the subway the other day reading a Superman archive. When I was a kid, if you took all my comics and sewed them together, it would be less pages than the size of maybe 4 of those showcase/Essential volumes.

TL;DR: New comics are almost all bad for kids, so buy them old ones.

Also, duck comics will never die.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited December 2012
    Big_Jim said:

...delivering a Pony comic...

Pony comic....

Just imagined the vet who delivers a pony comic to his kid.... =))
  • mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited December 2012
    I enjoy the Gronk webcomic so much every week. Ponies are not my thing but they are for little girls & some little boys. There needs to be comics for ALL ages from the little ones to the big ones the 35+ crowd. As for the LCS owner that doesn't want "those comics" in his store is very shortsided & still inside the clubhouse bubble. Some other stores will pick up the slack & that sale.

Superman, Gronk & Mouseguard fan,

Matthew
  • Apreche said:

Awesome episode. Love the ponies, of course. Still waiting for the comic to come from DCBS.

One thing I do want to comment on is the discussion of what comics to give to kids, and how the current comics are so violent. I completely support freedom of speech, and that it is ok for comics of all types of content to exist. I also completely agree that there are not enough current comics that are readable by children, and that is incredibly wrong.

However, it does seem to me like sometimes that people forget that there are almost 100 years of comics that already exist and are still available. If I had a kid now, I could not buy them the new copy of Batman. I can not dispute that. But there are stacks and stacks of DC Showcase Presents are there. I saw a kid with his grandma on the subway the other day reading a Superman archive. When I was a kid, if you took all my comics and sewed them together, it would be less pages than the size of maybe 4 of those showcase/Essential volumes.

TL;DR: New comics are almost all bad for kids, so buy them old ones.

Also, duck comics will never die.

There are a lot more choices today than there were ten years ago. My 7-year-old daughter loved Tiny Titans. Now her favorite is the Spongebob comic.

But when my son was around five or six, we’d sometimes read the Plastic Man Archives as bedtime stories, which he loved. Then he saw the Justice League cartoon, and Flash became his favorite character. But I would have to buy him Flash comics (Flash being his favorite character) from the ’70s rather than the comic Johns was writing at the time. I could usually find them in the local back issue bins for less than or equivalent to the cover price of the new stuff, so it worked out. Plus he became aware of Carmine Infantino, and even wrote him a letter. He devoured the Flash Showcase Presents books when they started coming out.

Still, there’s nothing like that build-up of excitement that comes from having to wait a month to find out how your favorite hero gets out of a jam. My son never really got to experience that feeling, and my daughter is getting it in a watered down sort of way, because the comics she reads are all done-in-one stories. She's never watched MLP (completely her choice), but I'm getting her the first issue of the comic to see what she thinks.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    So, my daughter has come around on the book, it went from being "fine" to "loved" and she's ready for the next issue. I asked her if this sparked interest in watching the show and she still said no, but I'm willing to bet that changes. She has found her favorite pony in Rainbow Dash.
  • After all the fuss I read it, this was a big deal cause in England 35year old blokes don't read comics for little girls!

Verdict... well after seeing the Blues Brothers, "Why Apes Rule", OJ, Twilight Zone, "Incident at Santa Mala", Clobbering time, Shaun of The Dead, Dalton's important lesson, and Ron Burgundy references Im in for the next one! Im sure I have missed stuff, so feel free to add what I have missed. Love stuff that works on so many levels!
  • I find the whole Bronie phenomenon to be both strange, interesting and wonderous.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I resisted for quite some time - but now became addicted to the book. What a great run of comics. What a fun ride. Pop-culture-gems hidden in nearly every panel.

Re-listening to this episode now....
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I resisted for quite some time - but now became addicted to the book. What a great run of comics. What a fun ride. Pop-culture-gems hidden in nearly every panel.

Re-listening to this episode now....

I agree with that. I'm not a brony either, but I found the couple of comics I'd read to be quite good and entertaining. I'll also have to go back and listen to this episode.