Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Classic TV Thread - 50s, 60s, 70s

LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
I've been on an old TV kick lately. The other night I stumbled across the pilot for The Beverly Hillbillies on a Roku channel called Pub-D Hub... though I certainly knew the Clampetts' backstory from the song and have seen many reruns through the years, I had never seen the first episode before, so that was pretty cool. I've also been watching episodes of You Bet Your Life on Netflix, and it has been a blast watching Groucho talk to people... never realized the quiz show portion of the program actually made up so little of its content! :))

Also found a big box set of Ernie Kovacs's stuff at the library today, and I'm really looking forward to tucking into that... I've only ever seen miscellaneous clips on YouTube.

So what classic TV shows do you folks enjoy and recommend? And more importantly, where can it be found so we can go and watch it ourselves?

Comments

• Options
    Sanford and Son has to be my favorite show from that era. Not sure if it's airing anywhere on TV at the moment.
  • Options
    Sanford & Son was most recently running on the Antenna Network. Currently, courtesy of my limited cable access, I get three networks running classic TV: Retro, Antenna, and METV. So I get a pretty good helping, if I get the urge. I watch some of the westerns on Saturday (The Rifleman and The Guns Of Will Sonnett); Retro has the original Robin Hood series from the 50's, which still holds up well for a half-hour adventure show; I can get the Twilight Zone, but, alas, it comes on just a tad too late for me. I wish one of them was getting The Invaders, but I'm sure it'll cycle around eventually. Plus, the local Antenna affiliate shows the Three Stooges shorts on Sat AM.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    We don't have cable anymore, just an antenna and Roku, but the TV helpings are pretty plentiful there. We pick up METV through the antenna, so I can watch that way, though the only thing I've really watched with any consistency on that channel so far has been The Brady Bunch. It dawned on me a month or two back when we stumbled across it on Sunday morning that my son is 7 and had never seen it at all (where as I had probably seen the whole series 3 or 4 times over by that point). I'd watch more, but the shows I'd watch are rarely on when I have time to watch them, and no cable = no DVR.

I did catch some Honey West reruns super late one Saturday night when I couldn't sleep. Fun show, though I think I'd like it better if Honey didn't constantly need rescuing! She's the title character, let her get the big action scenes, 1960s TV producers!

I'd watch Get Smart, because damn do I love that show, but it's in a pretty terrible time slot. And, unfortunately, it's not available through any of the streaming services! Damn shame, that's what that is.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    I watched a lot of Nick at Nite when I was a teenager; I always would watch the Dick Van Dyke Show, Get Smart, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, and Welcome Back Kotter (the year that they aired it). I also caught repeats of Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, and MASH on our local channels.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Classic television holds a special place in my heart. My grandpa was an over the road truck driver, and when he was home I would spend all my time being his shadow. When the Vikings or Twins weren't on we were watching Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid, Zorro, Honeymooners, Andy Griffith, Three Stooges, Star Trek, Munsters, Addams Family, Beverly Hillbillies.

With my dad, we hunt down Welcome Back Kotter, WKRP, Happy Days, Lavernne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy, Sanford & Son, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers and of course BJ and the Bear.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    M*A*S*H was my favourite growing up. We watched repeats everynight for what feels like years over and over. The family used to play a game where we'd guess who would be seen first each episode. I always went for Radar. Such a funny show, Clinger always made me laugh, as well as Hawkeye and Winchester. Got a bit heavy toward the end there, with the "chicken" killing and all. But just a great, great show. They don't make em like that anymore!

Part of my dissertation looked at Happy Days so that always provides some good memories. Really love 50's America in general, so this is another favourite of mine. And, hey, come on, who doesn't love The Fonz!

Also loved watching Cheers re-runs. This is something me and my bro always watched before bed when we shared a room as kids. Cliff and Norm always made me laugh. The whole "NORM!!!" When he entered the bar everyweek always made me smile. Top tele!!!
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    I saw that Netflix had recently added a bunch of You Bet Your Life episodes. I'm surprised more old TV series don't end up on streaming. The options to see them on standard television are dwindling, and I can't imagine there's a big enough demand to release many of them on DVD.

At the moment, I'm watching classic SNL, Hawaii Five-O and the '60s Spider-Man cartoon. I wish The Odd Couple was available streaming. I've had an urge to watch that again, but last I checked, no one was carrying it.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2012
    Idiotically posted in the wrong thread. X(
  • Options
    I am going through the Phil Silvers show (also known as You'll Never Get Rich and Sgt. Bilko) and am just marveling at the construction of the plot of each episode. It's almost a precursor to Seinfeld in how the plots are put together, how the lead character isn't really a GOOD person, but is likeable and how no one ever learns a lesson or changes.

I also have become a HUGE fan of Peter Gunn, a true noir private eye TV show. MeTV is getting more of my time than I thought it would, but the ads make me feel very old...they are all for assisted living, scooters and other things that retired people care about.
  • Options
    Seinfeld in the past has said that he was inspired by older sitcoms. He typically mentioned Abbott & Costello as an example of a show that had unlikable characters and no lessons.

I'm almost tempted to get an antenna for my TV to pick up some of these classic TV channels, but I watch pretty much everything through my DirecTV DVR or my Roku, and I don't feel like dealing with the hassle.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've managed to get my wife hooked on Honey West. We watch it through Netflix via discs. We love the era it was set in, the fashions, the culture, the quicksilver banter between Honey and the male lead.

Another classic we watch together is Lost in Space. Who isn't a fan of Dr. Smith? Or the Robot? And I've always been an I Dream of Jeannie fan...crushed majorly hard on Barbara Eden as a boy.

Do I even have to mention the Adam West Batman show in this group? :)

Moving into the 70s I had WKRP and M*A*S*H as my two main loves, with an admitted guilty pleasure in Three's Company (two reasons - John Ritter was great at slapstick comedy and I had a thing for Janet (Joyce DeWitt)). WKRP and Three's Company moved into the 80s a bit, but I still consider them more 70s shows.

• Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Oh boy. I could go on and on in this thread and name dozens of shows I'm fond of from this era. Here's just a few that come to mind:

The Monkees, I Spy, Route 66, Green Acres, Mr. Ed, Car 54 Where Are You?, The Fugitive

There's some kind of a DVD release for each of these shows.

@LibraryBoy I'm jealous of the Ernie Kovacs boxed set. That's one of the shows that Letterman and his staff took some inspiration from.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    I love me the METV and Antenna, I have watched so many westerns on there that I have missed thru the years, Daniel Boone, Big Valley and Bonanza. Rewatching Wild Wild West in order is cool and the comedies, WKRP, Barney Miller on Sundays are what my dad and I watch each week. Dragnet and Adam 12 and Emergency are cool too. AHHHH memories
  • Options
    Some of my favorites (in order of first date aired):

Leave it to Beaver (1957), My Three Sons (1960), The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961), The Mary Tyler Moore Show (1970), The Bob Newhart Show (1972), and of course, M*A*S*H* (1972).

Love MeTV...but get a little tired of the catheter commercials.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Hmm... A smattering of shows I remember fondly: Mash, Happy Days, Dads Army, Sapphire and Steel, Batman, Blakes Seven, Land of the Lost, I could go on.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The Dick van Dyke show and The Andy Griffith Show still bring smiles to my face. Loved WKRP... think it was ahead of its time. Was MASH really 1972? no way.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

I love me the METV and Antenna, I have watched so many westerns on there that I have missed thru the years, Daniel Boone, Big Valley and Bonanza. Rewatching Wild Wild West in order is cool and the comedies, WKRP, Barney Miller on Sundays are what my dad and I watch each week. Dragnet and Adam 12 and Emergency are cool too. AHHHH memories

Loved Daniel Boone—I still have my coon-skin cap I got in Boone, NC—and especially Wild, Wild West. Never liked the Big Valley though. I was more of a Gunsmoke kind of guy.

Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency are my wife's favorites. She sees them as high comedy.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

I've only ever seen a few episodes of Wild Wild West, back when TNT ran it in the early 90s. I really need to see more of that one of these days... I enjoy Westerns and I enjoy weird, so it seems like this would be right up my alley.
  • Options
    Pants said:

@LibraryBoy I'm jealous of the Ernie Kovacs boxed set. That's one of the shows that Letterman and his staff took some inspiration from.

I've always been curious about Kovacs, because so many people who I think have made really clever, creative TV comedy that plays with the "rules" of the medium - Joel Hodgson, Letterman, Conan, Craig Ferguson, Jim Henson, early SNL, early Sesame Street - all cite him as an influence. And going through this set, it's easy to see why. Even the super-early stuff, when most TV was still "The Let's Point a Camera at This Guy for 15 to 30 Minutes Show," is still really inventive. It's worth tracking down, @Pants, and I may end up even picking it up for myself somewhere down the line after I return this library copy.

• Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

JamieD said:

Loved Daniel Boone—I still have my coon-skin cap I got in Boone, NC—and especially Wild, Wild West. Never liked the Big Valley though. I was more of a Gunsmoke kind of guy.

Dragnet, Adam-12, and Emergency are my wife's favorites. She sees them as high comedy.
    My dad and I feel that way about those shows to, especially Dragnet, so straight laced but so funny at the same time, always waiting for Joe to go off on some hippie
  • Options
    Netflix used to have an Ernie Kovacs set available for streaming, probably the same one that every library seems to have, but I don’t see it there now. I know the state library across from where I work has it, so I’ll have to check it out soon. It’s literally been almost twenty years since I’ve seen any of it.

Comedy Central used to run Kovacs episodes late Sunday nights, back when they had a Golden Age of Comedy block. They also aired Jack Benny and Abbott & Costello at some point. Hard to imagine, but there was a time when Comedy Central actually did that. And they showed some pretty obscure stuff, too, like him hosting morning news programs and filling in on other people’s talk shows.

That was around the same time (early 90s) that PBS was airing a lot of stuff on Kovacs, so between the two of them, I saw a sizable chunk of it back then, and it’s interesting stuff. I doubt it would make people fall over laughing today, but if you watch it with an eye for how far ahead of his time he was, you’ll enjoy it. It’s a shame he died so suddenly, it would have been interesting to see what he might have done in the late ‘60s/early 70s, when shows like Laugh-In, Monty Python and Saturday Night Live all did things similar to what he had done. I like to think that there’s an alternate universe where Kovacs lived to host SNL one day.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

JamieD said:

My dad and I feel that way about those shows to, especially Dragnet, so straight laced but so funny at the same time, always waiting for Joe to go off on some hippie
    The Blue Boy episode of Dragnet is a classic.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

The Dick van Dyke show and The Andy Griffith Show still bring smiles to my face. Loved WKRP... think it was ahead of its time. Was MASH really 1972? no way.

Indeed it was. The movie had just come out in 1970. The TV show was pretty much the 'dramedy' of the 70's (right along with All In The Family), extending through the entire decade and lasting twice as long as the actual Korean War itself, and stood head and shoulders with the best of TV sitcoms (though I really hate to call it that) from Norman Lear and MTM. Hard to believe today that 20th Century executives were so impatient with the series in it's first couple of years, complaining and wondering why the show was so much more expensive to produce than other offerings... like Nanny And The Professor.
  • Options
    Speaking of old TV... I won't be truly satisfied until one of these nostalgia networks dusts off My Living Doll with Robert Cummings and Julie Newmar.
  • Options
    JamieD said:

JamieD said:

Exactly. The Dragnet radio show is similar, but isn't so over-the-top straight as to be funny. It had some of the type of humor Ben Alexander brought to the TV show rather than the more wry humor of Harry Morgan.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This is from the 1954 Dragnet movie, but it pretty much encapsulates everything that makes Joe Friday awesome. Although, yeah, it would be even better if it could involve him yelling at some hippie who's on the dope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9CxT48jIgI

:))

And if you love the Blue Boy episode of 60s Dragnet, you really owe it to yourself to check out the punk rock episode of Quincy (which you can watch on Netflix Instant Watch). It is just as wrongheaded in its goodheartedness, and therefore just as funny.
  • Options
    I haven't seen Quincy in years, so I've been thinking about watching it out of curiosity to see how it holds up. My parents watched that show every week, but it seems like it's somewhat forgotten now.

It's strange, Netflix has tons of 70s crime dramas, but so few classic sitcoms.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    There haven't been much mention of some great British shows from these eras. I feel as a Brit it's my duty to name a few. Dads Army is an all time great. Watching reruns as a kid had me in stitches. I thinks that's the sign if a true great. A show that crosses eras and is loved by many generations. "Don't tell him Pike!" Still one of the funniest jokes I've seen on tv. Period.

Fawlty Towers. Another great sitcom. Made all the better because there were only 13 episodes. All if which are TV gold.

Monty Pythons Flying Cirus. The first and arguabley best sketch show. Paved the way for so many greats to follow. And that dead parrot sketch still makes me laugh out laugh just thinking of it.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

There haven't been much mention of some great British shows from these eras. I feel as a Brit it's my duty to name a few. Dads Army is an all time great. Watching reruns as a kid had me in stitches. I thinks that's the sign if a true great. A show that crosses eras and is loved by many generations. "Don't tell him Pike!" Still one of the funniest jokes I've seen on tv. Period.

Fawlty Towers. Another great sitcom. Made all the better because there were only 13 episodes. All if which are TV gold.

Monty Pythons Flying Cirus. The first and arguabley best sketch show. Paved the way for so many greats to follow. And that dead parrot sketch still makes me laugh out laugh just thinking of it.

Obviously two great shows, though I didn't really see them until the ’80s. I'm also a huge fan of The Prisoner (Danger Man/Secret Agent was good too), The Avengers, and The Saint. And The Sandbaggers barely squeaked into the ’70s—fantastic show.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

luke52 said:

Obviously two great shows, though I didn't really see them until the ’80s. I'm also a huge fan of The Prisoner (Danger Man/Secret Agent was good too), The Avengers, and The Saint. And The Sandbaggers barely squeaked into the ’70s—fantastic show.
    Love Prisoner and Avengers. But never got into the Saint.