Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    *facepalm*

I mean, yeah, it might be good, I suppose, but...

*facepalm*
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    It's their Rocket Raccoon. I have never read the original Captain Carrot books so I'm ok with this. Heck, the writer is perfect for it. Sign me up!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    "Barrel roll" comes to mind.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's their Rocket Raccoon. I have never read the original Captain Carrot books so I'm ok with this. Heck, the writer is perfect for it. Sign me up!

I have read (and loved) the original Captain Carrot, and I am just appalled at this.

And why do we even need a DC version of either Guardians Of The Galaxy or Rocket Raccoon (let alone a copy of the current version of Rocket, which I'm not really enamored of)? Talk about a blatant lack of originality. They already had two space/cosmic teams (R.E.B.E.L.S. and L.E.G.I.O.N.) to develop if they really wanted to -- and I'd much rather have the real Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew back.

Meh. I've already ordered the first few issues, but I can see I'm going to have problems with this series.
  • Options
    I wonder if he'll have a giant plant as a buddy who says, "I AM FRUIT!"
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    Rocket Rabbit?
  • Options
    My waning interest in DC continues. At this time two years ago, I was buying about 20 DC titles a month. Now I am down to 3....all in the Bat-universe.

For the first time in 30 years of being a comic reader, I feel like I am outgrowing the medium, and that's OK. Mainstream comics should not be written for the 40-something audience.

"K'rot?"....really?? How uninspired.

• Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

I have read (and loved) the original Captain Carrot, and I am just appalled at this.

And why do we even need a DC version of either Guardians Of The Galaxy or Rocket Raccoon (let alone a copy of the current version of Rocket, which I'm not really enamored of)? Talk about a blatant lack of originality. They already had two space/cosmic teams (R.E.B.E.L.S. and L.E.G.I.O.N.) to develop if they really wanted to -- and I'd much rather have the real Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew back.

Meh. I've already ordered the first few issues, but I can see I'm going to have problems with this series.
    While I love the current Rocket Raccoon, I agree with you about the other space teams they could continue to develop.

Bring back R.E.B.E.L.S.!
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    As always, I'll wait to read it before passing judgement on it.

As a big fan of Captain Carrot, though, I can't say I'm not a little disappointed. Where's Pig Iron, Fastback, Yankee Poodle, Rubberduck and Alley Katabra? Would have been cooler to see them follow up what they did at the end of the Final Ark series (spoilers) where they become real animals and we see Roger getting carted off by Zatanna.

Think of the possibilities. Rumor mill has it Yankee Poodle's costume inspired Stargirl/Star Spangled Kid's current look, so why not let Courtney adopt a poodle? Madame Xanadu would totally be in tune with Alley Katabra at her side.

Ah well, maybe the renewed interest will get them to do a Showcase volume of the whole run like they were gonna a few years back. Make it happen, DC!
  • Options
    The reason that the Showcase volume wasn't published was because there was a hangup with how they were going to pay royalties to the creators, and they apparently having taken any steps to resolve it. I understand the matter of royalties came up in other proposed Showcase editions, and that was why they were either delayed or cancelled.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Giffen's one of the few that could pull this idea off, granted, but still, it's a weird decision all the way around. It's derivative of Rocket Raccoon (and Bucky O'Hare, and Jaxxon the Giant Green Star Wars Rabbit, and and and...), I don't know that anyone really needs a "badass" Captain Carrot, and it makes the conspiracy nut in me think DC has this weird agenda to take any character created to appeal to people under the age of 10 and change them in order to make sure that never happens again.

Unlikely, sure, but there's a pattern, maaaaaan! 8-}
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Giffen's one of the few that could pull this idea off, granted, but still, it's a weird decision all the way around. It's derivative of Rocket Raccoon (and Bucky O'Hare, and Jaxxon the Giant Green Star Wars Rabbit, and and and...), I don't know that anyone really needs a "badass" Captain Carrot, and it makes the conspiracy nut in me think DC has this weird agenda to take any character created to appeal to people under the age of 10 and change them in order to make sure that never happens again.

And then they came for Beppo. The super-monkey. . .
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Giffen being involved helps a little, but I'm not sure what the point is.

Like others, I'm a little thrown by recent decisions. Very little of the New 52 has stuck with me, and some of the recent replacement titles feel even less less likely to succeed than what was canceled to make way for them.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Super-Turtle made a cameo appearance in Action Comics this month.
  • Options

David_D said:

Did he snap off any limbs?
  • Options
    David_D said:

David_D said:

No, but in keeping with New 52 traditions, he banged Catwoman.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

Let's be fair- -

Catwoman banged HIM.

You don't bang Catwoman. She bangs you.
  • Options
    David_D said:

You don't bang Catwoman. She bangs you.

What is "What Yakov Smirnov would say if he read comics," Alex?
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    I was a big fan of the original Zoo Crew series when it came out in my childhood. This dude bears no resemblance to that character, save for being a rabbit, and his rank, so I can't get too worked up about it.

Usually the cosmic stuff leaves me kinda cold, but there's one thing that's gonna bring me to the yard on this, and that's the credit that says "Written by Keith Giffen"
  • Options
    Paul said:

I was a big fan of the original Zoo Crew series when it came out in my childhood. This dude bears no resemblance to that character, save for being a rabbit, and his rank, so I can't get too worked up about it.

Usually the cosmic stuff leaves me kinda cold, but there's one thing that's gonna bring me to the yard on this, and that's the credit that says "Written by Keith Giffen"

And Keith Giffen has made a lot of solid comics.

He has had some misses, though, and they have tended to be the titles that felt like they were saluting and going to the wall for an editorial idea. Like remember that Nick Fury and The Howling Commandos with all the werewolves? (Shudders)
  • Options
    David_D said:

Paul said:

He has had some misses, though, and they have tended to be the titles that felt like they were saluting and going to the wall for an editorial idea. Like remember that Nick Fury and The Howling Commandos with all the werewolves? (Shudders)
    To be fair I think that book suffered more from the incomprehensible art than it did from his writing.
  • Options
    Paul said:

I don't have any reaL beef with Giffen, but, this being a cosmic series, I'd jump faster to snap it up if it were written and drawn by Jim Starlin.
  • Options

Paul said:

I don't have any reaL beef with Giffen, but, this being a cosmic series, I'd jump faster to snap it up if it were written and drawn by Jim Starlin.

^:)^
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Torchsong said:

David_D said:

David_D said:

...What?
    David_D said:

Paul said:

It had Groot in it.
  • Options

Mr_Cosmic said:

Captain Carrot was my absolute favorite comic from the 80's. This is a travesty, and another reason DC is dead to me.

I mean DEAD.
  • Options
    Captain Carrot and Pig Iron both appear in Threshold #2 this month.

...oy vey...
  • Options
    Still waiting for Yankee Poodle to show up, pimp-slap Stargirl and tell her to stop stealing her costume... :)