Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Comic book puzzles? An auction

Every year around Christmas the mall has a little game/puzzle/calendar store pop up and while I rarely take the time to do them I enjoy puzzles. Went in looking for a good comic book puzzle, maybe a marvel one or Batman or something along those lines (wasn't thinking walking dead or any indy books that would be too far of a stretch) I found a lot of marvel ones but I think the most pieces they had was 150.....maybe 200. They had some Harry Potter ones but they were from the movie and I really don't want to sit around for a few hours staring at Daniel Radcliffe. So my question is this, has anyone seen a comic book puzzle of say 1000 pieces or so?

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Krescan said:

Every year around Christmas the mall has a little game/puzzle/calendar store pop up and while I rarely take the time to do them I enjoy puzzles. Went in looking for a good comic book puzzle, maybe a marvel one or Batman or something along those lines (wasn't thinking walking dead or any indy books that would be too far of a stretch) I found a lot of marvel ones but I think the most pieces they had was 150.....maybe 200. They had some Harry Potter ones but they were from the movie and I really don't want to sit around for a few hours staring at Daniel Radcliffe. So my question is this, has anyone seen a comic book puzzle of say 1000 pieces or so?

I had one years ago that was 2000 pieces and had pretty much every Marvel superhero on it. I wish I still had it. Cause my youngest son loves doing puzzles currently.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    I have 2 Marvel puzzles that I bought when I was about 10: Siver Surfer & FF:

These were pretty big - could been in the 1000 piece range?

e
    L nny

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited January 2013
    This weekend a friend of mine had heard about a local auction barn was going to be doing a comicbook/star wars auction. We decided to go and check it out, the listing they had put up looked like there might be a few that were reasonable and some that would be well beyond our means.

I was looking around at the beginning and noticed a box that had this image

And this

It's only 200 pieces so not really what I was looking for but it caught my eye. Plus the Captain America pewter figure had the chevron shield and I've always thought that was cool. I ended up getting them both for 11 bucks.

A lot of the comics were coming through that were going for more than I would have bid. Then a bag of about 10 Suicide Squad came through and it went for 6 bucks. I read suicide squad now and was thinking oh I should have bid on that but I just let it go. A little later another one came up so I decided to give it a bid. And got it for 8 bucks.

Was excited thinking I had a first appearance of Oracle but it danced all around 23 but just a random selection.

Then they held up a large ziplock bag with this.

And said this is lot something or other for Ka-Zar #15 (not a fan of Ka-Zar so I wasn't paying very much attention to this) And a Hulk and the Thing comic (as a fan of the Thing my ears perked up) There was an opening 5 dollar bid and my friend elbowed me saying he said The Thing did you hear? About that time the auctioneer positioned the ziplock baggie so that you could see the Ka-Zar with just a little bit of the Hulk peeking out the side. I got in a 6 dollar bid and then they went to 7 and then I said 8 and it was quiet. So when they brought me my comics I got to open it up to this.

The spine is a little rolled but over all pretty decent condition. And while it's not going to be something to retire on it's maybe worth everything I spent for the day.

Then some early 100's of Amazing Spider-man came out and they were well beyond what we were willing to spend. And we left before the Fantastic Four's that were in the 50's came up so I wouldn't do anything stupid.

We probably spent 7 hours there watching people battle it out with internet bidders over star wars toys and other such things and only ended up with a small handful of stuff but I have to say as my first "geek" auction, I really enjoyed every bit of it.

But next time I'll take a magazine or something to check out while the baseball cards and metal gas signs are being auctioned off.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I had that Cap puzzle for years when I was a kid. Now I want to track down a copy.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    and POST OF THE DAY goes to @Krescan =D>
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    edited January 2013
    That Silver Surfer puzzle is everything I love about Kirby