Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1316 Talkback: Post Christmas Mishmosh

We're back in the studio for the first time after our Christmas break. We've got Super Show updates, the CGS mailbag, our Secret Santa exchange, some Dr. Who Christmas special talk, Matt goes 'Off the Reservation' and more. And stay tuned after the credits as Jamie D interviews some special guests. (1:24:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Excellent "Off the Reservation" segment, Matt! Either we're all geeks, or none of us are! (I prefer to think that we're all geeks!)
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    PREACH IT MATT! I tried to watch one episode of THE BIG BANG THEORY and I couldn’t get through the first 10 minutes because of Sheldon. God, that character annoys me. It’s a shame because I’ve liked Johnny Galecki since ROSEANNE and I do like his character Leonard but Sheldon makes my skin itch.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Never got into Big Bang myself. Never looked funny or interesting
  • Options
    Whereas I find The Big Bang Theory hilarious and a delight. It's the only current sitcom I can even watch for more than three minutes without running, screaming, for the remote.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    @Matt the character doesn't grow much because it's a sitcom, and if he was to grow out of the quirkiness then it wouldn't be much of a show. They are trying to give him baby steps having a "girlfriend" in Amy, but any big deviations would take away the main character of the show.

@Murd I've noticed you are sounding different in recent episodes, is this from your surgery? Any new smells to report?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Dman said:

PREACH IT MATT! I tried to watch one episode of THE BIG BANG THEORY and I couldn’t get through the first 10 minutes because of Sheldon. God, that character annoys me. It’s a shame because I’ve liked Johnny Galecki since ROSEANNE and I do like his character Leonard but Sheldon makes my skin itch.

After having plenty of people tell me how much they thought I would love BBT,I watched at least 10 or so episodes. And it isn't funny. All I want out of a sitcom is at least 2 good laughs per episode. I never laughed once while watching BBT.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Agreed 100% @dubbat138. The show is just not funny at all. I don't even crack a smile when the laughtrack tells me I should be laughing.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    larry said:

Agreed 100% @dubbat138. The show is just not funny at all. I don't even crack a smile when the laughtrack tells me I should be laughing.

I hate modern sitcoms with laugh tracks. If the show is funny you know when to laugh.

• Options
    Nick said:

@Murd I've noticed you are sounding different in recent episodes, is this from your surgery? Any new smells to report?

Good ear, Nick! I do think I've been sounding a little throatier/huskier in the studio lately, and I'm pretty sure the surgery is directly or indirectly responsible. Small price to pay for renewed sensitivity to wonderful smells like the smoked sausage & mash I had for my birthday dinner earlier this week! :x
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    dubbat138 said:

larry said:

I hate modern sitcoms with laugh tracks. If the show is funny you know when to laugh.

You must be reading my mind. Although I enjoy comedy like the Three Stooges and Dumb & Dumber, I really like humor where you have to 'connect the dots.' Horrible Bosses is a great example of that. Most of the people I know who didn't like the movie say it wasn't funny. It is funny, but the humor isn't straight-forward. You have to 'connect the dots' to get the jokes.

Too many modern sitcoms are recycling jokes, projecting a joke, or are just not funny (relying on the laugh tracks.)

M.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Nick said:

@Matt the character doesn't grow much because it's a sitcom, and if he was to grow out of the quirkiness then it wouldn't be much of a show. They are trying to give him baby steps having a "girlfriend" in Amy, but any big deviations would take away the main character of the show.

I understand that. It's just like all the times Face was able to spring Murdock each episode of the A-Team. He's just dreadfully annoying, narcissistic, and not funny.

M