Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Episode 1317 Talkback: Marvel Now Round Seven - We Play Catch Up

There were a bunch of new Marvel Now issues that came out just before Christmas and we catch up on them here. Second issues of Avengers, Avengers Arena, Cable and X-Force, Captain America, FF, Indestructible Hulk and Thunderbolts are discussed as well as third and fourth issues of some other titles. (1:24:39)

Listen here.

Comments

• GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Listening now, just heard the FF discussion.

With Hawkeye, and the first couple issues of Fantastic Four and FF, I've done a 180 on Fraction's writing. I really hope that the Allred's and Fraction stay together on FF for a long, long time.
  • I was surprised to hear no one liked the Captain America story on the CGS team. I hate JRJr art, but I've been enjoying it here because it fits the story line. I agree what we're being presented with is not the Cap we're used to since Brubaker has been writing Cap for so many years. To me, the Brubaker years were based somewhat on the Steve Englehart years back in the early 70's (my favorite Cap era). I think the Remender/ JRJr Cap is based on the late 70's Kirby issues (which is the era I started buying comics on a regular basis, but). So, think Kirby 70's Cap crossed with Kamandi and suddenly it's wacky fun just like that was. I didn't think much of the Kirby years, so I didn't think I'd like this book much. I've been revising my opinion recently when I started picking up old Kamandi issues and enjoying it. I'm also of the opinion the last year of Cap was rather dull. I like Brubaker on Bucky better at this point. So, I'm finding this is a welcome change for me.
  • I'll be sticking with the new Cap series for a few issues, but I have to admit that it's wearing thin on me after two issues, and I really miss Brubaker already. I don't have any problems with JRJr, but the whole feel of the series is so different that it feels lacking. It's rather like going from a steak dinner every night to an imposed diet of peanut butter sandwiches: you like peanut butter, but you can't stop thinking about the steak. Remender had better deliver something pretty darn quick, or this book will get dropped from my list before mid-year.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    That was an episode full of Merdonian goodness.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    A caveat to start with: I have read no marvel now books.

That being said I'm really disappointed by Marvel Now.

I was actually really excited for Marvel Now as I thought this would be an ideal point to get into some Marvel books, as I'm more of a DC guy. But as the solicits came out nothing really grabbed my attention. Avengers sounded interesting but I won't pick up any 3.99 bi-monthly books out of principle. Guardians of the Galaxy has me interested too and will be the first I pick up as this is standard one book a month.

Even as the books came out I have been excited to hear these episodes to point me in the right direction. The New 52 episodes got me reading books I would never normally pick up. But Marvel Now just hasn't grabbed me. Everything sounds average, with nothing popping out.

That being said of all the books so far, I am intrigued by The Indestructible Hulk and Journey Into Mystery. So I think I'll give these a try in trade format first and catch up if I like them.

To even things out and going a little off topic, I am falling off DC books left and right at the moment too.

If I'm missing anything great over a Marvel please correct me! As i said, I'm disappointed nothing has jumped out at me.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    While our tastes really do differ on some things I must say I am enjoying Marvel Now. I think mileage varies a lot depending on your taste.

I do like that everything that happened previous wasn't completely thrown out the window...now could more titles be new reader friendly? Yes. But the wealth of back material that can affect where the story can go excites me.
  • One thing I will note: Marvel Now is not encouraging me to pick up anything that I wasn't already getting; so, on that score, where I'm concerned, it's a failure. I am intrigued by the Hulk and New X-Men books, but not enough to reshuffle my buy list. (Athough I did order the first New X-Men collection; whether I continue depends on how much I like it and how flexible my finances will be at that time.)
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    This run of Cap is very much like the Kirby weirdness of the 70s (which I'm pretty sure Remender outright stated was an influence on this), right down to the Arnim Zola appearance. I liked the first issue alright, but I think I'll wait to check it out in the trade since I didn't $3.99 like it (as opposed to Indestructible Hulk, which will make its way onto my pull list if #3 is as good as the first two).
  • alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Coming in late here, but I feel kinda obligated to comment since I am listening to the episode. It's funny, I decided to drop Fantastic Four, FF, Thor, Cable and X-Force and...
    oh, wait. I haven't even gotten the 2nd issues of some of these from DCBS, so I will have to stop listening. I'll add more later perhaps. I dropped Cap, also. Just too "out there." Thunderbolts, too. Not grabbing me. Like you guys, I was also somewhat impressed with Journey Into Mystery #1, but I also dropped that. Maybe I can catch up on it later.