Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Graphic novel wins Costa book award

This story is getting a fair bit of attention in the UK.
Mary and Bryan Talbot have won the Costa book award in the biography section for Dotter of her Father's Eyes.
http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2013/comics-a-costa-for-mary-and-bryan-talbots-dotter/

Much is being made of a graphic novel winning one of the categories for the first time, and for the fact that all five book categories have been won by female writers.

It's an interesting book which would be my OGN of the year if I hadn't read The Underwater Welder

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Honest, it's a really good book
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    We believe you ;;)

I like the preview and the backstory - added the book to my evergrowing wishlist.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    If Bryan Talbot is at London Super Comic-Con then I will be getting him to sign a copy and thrusting it into Brian and Bryan's hands
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited January 2013
    This story was also posted on Bleeding Cool with a embedded video interview with the author and artist (from Channel 4?). It was horrendous. Not the authors, but the interviewer. Apparently the media in the UK (and im sure in America too) still thinks that comic books are just BIFF!, POW!, ZAP! nonsense. Mr. Talbot, in a very proper an polite British manner, tried to explain that comics where not that way anymore (and really haven't been in nearly 30 years). I'll post the link when I can get to a computer.

Regardless, any positive recognition for the medium is great. I'll have to check this one out.

Edit: Here's the BC link