Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is this the inspiration for Carrie Kelley in Dark Knight Returns?

I was just watching the first episode of the old Batman series, and Jill St. John plays as Molly, the Riddler's moll... get it?

Anyhoo, at one point he has her dress up as Robin, and put on a Robin mask... but before the mask goes on, I was struck by how much she looked like Miller's Carrie Kelley version of Robin... coincidence?

Comments

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Man, that show had the loveliest actresses.
  • Options
    I think it has been pretty much accepted that Miller was inspired by that, even if he's never explicitly said so. I mean, the hair is pretty distinctive.

It is sort of like Alex Ross "designing" the new Batwoman. He may not have said it, but we all know that the design is based on Batman Beyond and/or the animated movie, "Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman."
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I think it has been pretty much accepted that Miller was inspired by that, even if he's never explicitly said so. I mean, the hair is pretty distinctive.

It is sort of like Alex Ross "designing" the new Batwoman. He may not have said it, but we all know that the design is based on Batman Beyond and/or the animated movie, "Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman."

I didn't know that about Batgirl.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I forgot about Jill St. John as Robin. When will the powers that be get it together and get the show on DVD!!!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803

Even if it's not a direct influence, it could very well have been a subconscious one. That show made a pretty big footprint in the American pop culture landscape of the 1960s and beyond, this first story is one of the most famous, and Ms. St. John was one of its most famous guest stars at the time (certainly the highest profile of any of the villains' molls, at any rate).
  • Options
    phansford said:

I forgot about Jill St. John as Robin. When will the powers that be get it together and get the show on DVD!!!

This is the most recent news article I could find on the show going to DVD, and this is from last June:

tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-Variety-Story-About-Warner-Licensing-Deal/17060

Meanwhile, the show is being rebroadcast on METV every Saturday night.

• Options

It's fascinating how artists can draw inspiration from various sources without explicitly acknowledging them. Miller's work does seem to bear resemblance to its inspiration, and the distinctive hair is a telltale sign.