Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

More New52 DC Cancellations

2»

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Well, you *do* get to see the inner workings of Hell, but we should be used to that by now. And one of the characters has a major gender secret. And there's a war, so there's bodies piling up. But no rapes, mutilations, disfigurements (okay there's one on the last page of the current issue, but it's nothing you haven't seen on an 80s metal album cover! :) ), or anything along those lines. And the humor it throws in has been...well...genuinely funny!

Like I said, well-written, great art, fun to read...it simply can't last. :)
  • Options
    Boooooo. I just got my wife into I, Vampire and now it's getting the axe?!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Torchsong said:

I don't care about Deathstroke, Hawkman, and Batwing.... but Demon Knights? Damn it!

I had no delusions, I'm thankful we've gotten what we've gotten, and I'll continue to buy day and date and double-dip on the trades for it right up to the end. It'll never leave my bookshelf. It was a title with both incredible artwork and brilliant writing...I knew it wouldn't last.

If you'd told me back in November 2011 that my favorite book would involve Etrigan and Vandal Savage, I'd have never believed it. I hope that on the horrible day it does finally end we still have a stage set to hear more about Sir Ystina, Exoristos, Horsewoman and Al-Jabr.
    Who you callin' delusional?

Put 'em up, put 'em up! ~X(

In all seriousness, I rarely consider outside stuff when buying my books. It never occured to me that this book wouldn't sell. Honestly, I should have seen this coming. Hell, I wouldn't have bought a book like this before.
  • Options
    Rumor going around -- and I repeat that this is just a rumor at this stage -- that Keith Giffen, who had just rejoined Paul Levitz on Legion Of Super-Heroes, is dropping off already, after completing only two issues.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Apparently the cancellation of Hawkman was announced or leaked this weekend.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Deathstroke, Hawkman, Team 7, Firestorm, Ravagers, and Sword of Sorcery are the next to go.

I have to admit that I didn't even know Deathstroke, Team 7, and Ravagers were even still being published at this point!
  • Options

Deathstroke, Hawkman, Team 7, Firestorm, Ravagers, and Sword of Sorcery are the next to go.

I have to admit that I didn't even know Deathstroke, Team 7, and Ravagers were even still being published at this point!

I'd been reading Team 7, but I'm not surprised. Not surprised by any of the cancellations except for Sword Of Sorcery. Really? I hadn't been aware it's sales were so bad -- and yet, Demon Knights survived the cut?

For those counting, that's three more of the original 52 down.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I was going to drop Deathstoke anyway.

I was going to pick up Team 7. Eh, still might. It'll jsut be a short run. Same goes for Sword of Sorcery.

Ravagers was a guilty pleasure that hasn't been all that pleasurable. Oh well.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

I'd been reading Team 7, but I'm not surprised. Not surprised by any of the cancellations except for Sword Of Sorcery. Really? I hadn't been aware it's sales were so bad -- and yet, Demon Knights survived the cut?

For those counting, that's three more of the original 52 down.

For me the title story of Amathyst has just been too slow. The latest issue was the first in a long while that peeked my interest. It has always been the back up that have been entertaining in S&S. I guess Marx was going for a slow boiler, but it will probably end on a simmer. Shame to it see go though.
  • Options
    I'm fairly shocked by the news that 'Sword of Sorcery' is getting the axe. I was enjoying that one. Great art and a something new (at least to me). And I know Firestorm had been in the toilet for a long time, but I thought Jurgens was really starting to turn it around...
  • Options
    Woo hoo! Demon Knights survives another culling! There must be a small but fiercely loyal cult that's buying that book enough to keep it going. Check it out, folks, it's damn good comics!

Not surprised about Sword getting the axe. Great artwork, great writing - but saddled with lackluster backup tales and I believe it was a $3.99 book (correct me if I'm wrong). I loves me some Amethyst, but do I love her at that price? Here's to hoping she'll hop over to Justice League Dark so we haven't seen the absolute last of her.

Wasn't reading any of the other ones.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

Woo hoo! Demon Knights survives another culling! There must be a small but fiercely loyal cult that's buying that book enough to keep it going. Check it out, folks, it's damn good comics!

Not surprised about Sword getting the axe. Great artwork, great writing - but saddled with lackluster backup tales and I believe it was a $3.99 book (correct me if I'm wrong). I loves me some Amethyst, but do I love her at that price? Here's to hoping she'll hop over to Justice League Dark so we haven't seen the absolute last of her.

I must disagree wrt the lackluster backup. I felt like the Beowulf backup was probably some of the best world building that I've seen in of the New 52 outside of Demon Knights. The main Amethyst story has been decent, but not stellar and has been a bit too much of a slow burn.

• Options
    hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

I must disagree wrt the lackluster backup. I felt like the Beowulf backup was probably some of the best world building that I've seen in of the New 52 outside of Demon Knights. The main Amethyst story has been decent, but not stellar and has been a bit too much of a slow burn.

Yeah, it just didn't do much for me. As someone who's read, taught, and written papers on Beowulf (ad nauseum) I probably should have enjoyed it more than I did. :) The latest one, Stalker, didn't impress me, but it's early yet, so maybe given time and a few more iss...oh wait. :)
  • Options
    BUT TAKE HEART, people! DC is bringing back The Green Team to save us all!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan-young/exclusive-dc-comics-revea_b_2641445.html

Ye Gods... :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I've nothing against Demon Knights, but I'm frankly astonished it survived another culling. There were a couple of titles axed that actually had better sales. Someone up there must like it. We'll see how much longer it can sustain that kind of luck while sitting that low on the sales charts.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Torchsong said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bryan-young/exclusive-dc-comics-revea_b_2641445.html

I am going to predict that comics fans on the Internet are not going to be down with this.

I will say, though, that at least DC had the sense to not let Art & Franco get completely away.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

The original Green Team was about a group of insanely rich kids who used their wealth to do good.

It was goofy-ass fun.

The pitch looks pompous as hell, but it's Art & Franco, so I'm hoping they'll manage to slip in some Pure Comic-y Goodness(TM).
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Torchsong said:

I can't decide how I feel about these. It sounds a little a high horse to tell a story from and comment on some current cultural climates. Could get preachy. But it is Gail Simone and Art & Franco. So I'll try and hold my judgement until I've read the first issues.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Torchsong said:

I can't decide how I feel about these. It sounds a little a high horse to tell a story from and comment on some current cultural climates. Could get preachy. But it is Gail Simone and Art & Franco. So I'll try and hold my judgement until I've read the first issues.
    Yet again, I loathe DC's marketing approach.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

The original Green Team was about a group of insanely rich kids who used their wealth to do good.

It was goofy-ass fun.

The pitch looks pompous as hell, but it's Art & Franco, so I'm hoping they'll manage to slip in some Pure Comic-y Goodness(TM).
    Their finest hour was in Ambush Bug #3

• Options

Torchsong said:

I've nothing against Demon Knights, but I'm frankly astonished it survived another culling. There were a couple of titles axed that actually had better sales. Someone up there must like it. We'll see how much longer it can sustain that kind of luck while sitting that low on the sales charts.
    I wonder if they take digital sales into account on those numbers. That's how I buy it - monthly - day and date - to show support for it. Perhaps it's doing better than we know.

Or someone may just really like it.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Their finest hour was in Ambush Bug #3

Anyone who appeared in Ambush Bug had their finest hour in Ambush Bug!
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

I wonder if they take digital sales into account on those numbers. That's how I buy it - monthly - day and date - to show support for it. Perhaps it's doing better than we know.

Or it's setting up something important for an upcoming event.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Yet again, I loathe DC's marketing approach.

Agreed.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Torchsong said:

Or it's setting up something important for an upcoming event.
    Good point. Prepare thyself for DC's next great crossover initiative, where we sneak another curse word past your parents: Yes, it's Demon Knights, Justice League Dark, Stormwatch, and, inexplicably, 'Mazing Man in "The M*therf*ckering!"
  • Options
    Looking at the most recent sales, it seems I was mistaken in that there were more than one title selling better than Demon Knights among the recently cancelled; only one was, and that was Ravagers. There were, however, three titles selling worse than Ravagers that were not cancelled: Demon Knights, Stormwatch and Batwing. There are some creative changes underway for those titles (DK just got a change of writers), so they're getting a temporary reprieve... but you should consider those titles to be on a deathwatch at this point. Dipping below 18,000 copies a month appears to be the red line, and these three are selling below 15,500.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The creative teams on The Green Team and The Movement both earn a look from me.