Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    An 8 dollar issue of Detective Comics?

Yikes!!!

Matthew
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    This is the first time I looked at one of these links posted on the forums. Does DC always come off annoying with the questions for each book?

M
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    Matt said:

This is the first time I looked at one of these links posted on the forums. Does DC always come off annoying with the questions for each book?

M

It's a pretty typical solicitation style (which is not to say that it isn't annoying, just that it is the norm). For example, just grabbing one towards the top of Marvel's March solicits:
    There’s a new rule in the galaxy: No one touches Earth! No one!! Why has Earth become the most important planet in the Galaxy? That’s what the Guardians of the Galaxy are going to find out!! Join the brightest stars in the Marvel universe: Star Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and--wait for it--Iron-Man, as they embark upon one of the most explosive and eye-opening chapters of Marvel NOW! These galactic Avengers are going to discover secrets that will rattle Marvel readers for years to come! Why wait for the movie? It all starts here!
    Generally I find Marvel and DC solicits to be filled with punctuation and flop sweat. I tend to only look at the creative team listings and skip the rest of the copy, since it is often pretty lame and strained.

That is one thing I have always liked about the Walking Dead solicits. For a long time now, they have tended to be one line. (e.g. 'Things get worse'). For example, their March solicit is this simple:
    WALKING DEAD #108 (MR)
    story ROBERT KIRKMAN
    art / cover CHARLIE ADLARD & CLIFF RATHBURN
    MARCH 13
    32 PAGES / BW / M
    $2.99
    Ezekiel has a tiger.
    I love the confidence of that. It is basically a solicit that says: there is a new issue of Walking Dead. What else do you need to know?
  • gavigavi Posts: 41
    lucifer is getting reprinted in deluxe editions!
  • larrylarry Posts: 125
    I have my eye on the Golden Age Superman Omnibus. Depends on the discount I guess.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    The Absolute Superman/Batman, JLA chronicles, Batman & Robin vol 2. The Golden Age Supeman Omnibus sounds good but I already have all the Superman Chronicles and there is no need to double dip.

This may be my smallest DC month in a long time. This of course means that Marvel must be planning to release a bunch of Silver & Bronze age trades to make sure my budget gets blown up as usual.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited January 2013
    I almost never read the solicit comments, just titles. But I am more of a trade guy so solicits are not that important.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

Generally I find Marvel and DC solicits to be filled with punctuation and flop sweat.

=D>
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    gavi said:

Is that a good series? I'd been considering it and this may be a good pick-up point.

• SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC!

Regardless of the discount (crosses fingers for 50% off special) this is a great deal. All these Solo stories are pricey to pick up (only a few are to be found in the $1 bins). And some are hard to find (Darwyn Cook in particular). I love one shot stories, and I love almost all of these authors... Pretty sure that Deluxe means oversized... or at least I hope..

WATCHMEN DELUXE EDITION HC
    hmmm, never bought the Absolute, but maybe I'll go this route instead for 1/2 the price...

THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES HC
    I love old DC Sci-Fi.... but at $75, I will probably just wait for the 60% off sale in a year and scoop this up... Im more of an Adam Strange guy than a Captain Comet, but not a bad #2.

SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC
    The Archives of these issues would cost way more (though be better produced). I like the idea of having this and the (Im sure) soon to follow Batman: Golden Age Omnibus on my bookshelves... oooo that means maybe a Flash too?

BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM #1
    Dustin Nguyen is so great...
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Things that caught my eye...

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #3 - New Secret Society!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #19
    • Who is the one person dangerous enough to use Kryptonite against Superman? Uh, Lex Luthor...Metallo...KRYPTONITE MAN!!..sheesh..

AQUAMAN #19 - Ice King???

DETECTIVE COMICS #19 - Ok, 900th issue but why should I pay $8 for it? The "Mystery of the 900" doesn't extactly sell me on it.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #19 - Hello Mogo.

STORMWATCH #19 - Jim Starlin??? Crap crap crap..now I have to buy this book again.

ABSOLUTE SUPERMAN/BATMAN VOL. 1 HC - Tempting.

SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC - Also tempting.

SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL. 1 HC Niiiiiiice

HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1 - I liked the mini so I'll be sticking with this.

• SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    edited January 2013
    Gawds, so many variant covers. And no Showcase title that month...
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Earth 2 #11
    Worlds' Finest #11
    Ame-Comi Girls #2
    Superman Family Adventures #12
    He-Man #1
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Someone guard the princesses!

Now I'm thinking about how cool an Aquaman/Adventure Time crossover could be. :D
  • gavigavi Posts: 41
    Torchsong said:

gavi said:

Is that a good series? I'd been considering it and this may be a good pick-up point.

I hear its pretty good, I mainly want to read it because it takes places in the Sandman universe. The trades are out of print so can be a little pricy, but DC going with oversized paperbacks makes this very affordable.

• DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Wait... is Avengers Assemble in continuity?
  • Wait... is Avengers Assemble in continuity?

Apparently so, though I have trouble figuring out how.

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,746
    David_D said:

Matt said:

M

It's a pretty typical solicitation style (which is not to say that it isn't annoying, just that it is the norm).
    Actually, while they typically ask questions, I think this month’s blurbs are much worse than usual. Some of the entries are practically interchangeable, and there are a couple of sentences that don't even make much sense. It feels to me like one person wrote all the blurbs for the New 52 monthlies in a bit of a rush. The solicits for the Vertigo books and the collections are much better written. Given all the changes going on with creative teams and new directions, I'm guessing that a bunch of the solicits were changed at the last minute.

SOLO DELUXE EDITION HC!

Regardless of the discount (crosses fingers for 50% off special) this is a great deal. All these Solo stories are pricey to pick up (only a few are to be found in the $1 bins). And some are hard to find (Darwyn Cook in particular). I love one shot stories, and I love almost all of these authors... Pretty sure that Deluxe means oversized... or at least I hope..

THE CAPTAIN COMET ARCHIVES HC
    I love old DC Sci-Fi.... but at $75, I will probably just wait for the 60% off sale in a year and scoop this up... Im more of an Adam Strange guy than a Captain Comet, but not a bad #2.

BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM #1
    Dustin Nguyen is so great...

Definitely the highlights for me too, and I'm with you on the Captain Comet price point. I would have been much happier with a $50 archive without the Secret Society issues, which I already have, and which have already been reprinted recently. But if I can find it cheap enough down the road I will gladly snatch it up. Carmine’s artwork on those early stories is gorgeous, and Murphy’s stuff is pretty darn good too.

I bought Solo as it came out, and even the less interesting issues were better than any of DC’s main titles. With finances tight, I'll probably stick with my single issues for now, but
    edited January 2013

Apparently so, though I have trouble figuring out how.

Well... crap. Not what I was hoping to hear, although I appreciate it. Thanks, @Chuck_Melville.
  • That Captain Comet Archive looks appealing to me as well... as does the replica Green Lantern ring and battery -- oh! How I want that! -- but, alas, unless I win the lottery, it's not happening...

Unfortunately, yes...from the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel NOW! Liveblog:
    Comment From thatsweetmysteryoflife
    "Regarding Avengers Assemble, I was under the impression that it was separate from 616 continuity, given the differences in the characters and its close ties to the movie lineups. Is this not the case?"

Strommy: @thatsweetmysteryofflife Nope, Avengers Assemble is firmly in regular Marvel U. continuity. It has the same lineup as the movie, but that's the only connection.
    Strommy is Marvel.com Associate Editor Marc Strom.

edited January 2013
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Unfortunately, yes...from the Guardians of the Galaxy Marvel NOW! Liveblog:

Thanks. I'm curious, @Mr_Cosmic, since you said "unfortunately", what's your take/thoughts on it ? I have a feeling we share similar views.
    edited January 2013
    Well, my view is that it was a team put together to capitalize on the movie. Thanos was obviously chosen as the villain because of his appearance in the movie. I aslo dismissed it as out of continuity for the very fact Thanos was in it. Last time we saw Thanos he was trapped in the dying "Cancerverse"....along with Nova and Star-Lord(who also appears in Avengers Assemble). I didn't like how the Hulk is suddenly mindless again. The way some of the members act towards each other seems off. I dunno, it's not for me and I think it wasn't a book that we needed.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,746

Mr_Cosmic said:

Someone guard the princesses!

Now I'm thinking about how cool an Aquaman/Adventure Time crossover could be. :D
    Only if it’s the Batman: Brave and the Bold version of Aquaman. “I call this one ‘The Adventure Time Adventure!’”
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Mr_Cosmic said:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #19
    • Who is the one person dangerous enough to use Kryptonite against Superman? Uh, Lex Luthor...Metallo...KRYPTONITE MAN!!..sheesh..

I was thinking Batman??? He's not on the cover (at least the bit we can see) and could be the start of the long trased Trinity War. And Batman certainly dangerous enough.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    On top of my usual haul, which is now down to only...

JLA
    Justice League
    Earth 2
    Animal Man
    Swamp Thing
    Detective

I'll also be picking up the Demon Knights vol 2 trade. And I'm interested in what the last DC Presents could hold for us.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Well, my view is that it was a team put together to capitalize on the movie. Thanos was obviously chosen as the villain because of his appearance in the movie. I aslo dismissed it as out of continuity for the very fact Thanos was in it. Last time we saw Thanos he was trapped in the dying "Cancerverse"....along with Nova and Star-Lord(who also appears in Avengers Assemble). I didn't like how the Hulk is suddenly mindless again. The way some of the members act towards each other seems off. I dunno, it's not for me and I think it wasn't a book that we needed.

I felt the same about Thanos and Starlord being in it. And that Hulk doesn't line up with the current Hulk I was reading.

But the biggest offender was the dialogue. Hell, I feel like the heroes barely knew who Thanos was.

Maybe I need to reread that, but am I wrong with that feeling?
  • Hell, I feel like the heroes barely knew who Thanos was.

They didn't even seem to know what Zodiac was. Granted this was a new version, but the very word 'Zodiac' should have kicked the whole team into Defcon mode, considering their history with past Zodiacs.

Hell, I feel like the heroes barely knew who Thanos was.

They didn't even seem to know what Zodiac was. Granted this was a new version, but the very word 'Zodiac' should have kicked the whole team into Defcon mode, considering their history with past Zodiacs.
    Indeed. The comic felt so... off for being in continuity.

And speaking of Zodiac:

I miss him. Glad he was in Vengeance.