Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Your First Comic Book

2»

Comments

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I remember getting a $1 allowance... I ended blowing the whole thing on 4 comic books.

I miss those days, a couple of bucks sure went a long way back then.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I can't pinpoint exactly, but I think it was either this:

Or this:

If not those, then it was probably a three-pack of Whitman reprints of early Star Wars issues, at least one of which featured Jaxxon the giant green space bunny.
  • Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94

I remember getting a $1 allowance for the first time ever and that Sunday when I went with my dad down to the corner store to get the newspapers, I ended blowing the whole thing on 4 comic books. This was one of them. I can remember being fascinated by the look of Iron Man and Yellowjacket, plus the Vision in the upper left corner. This was my gateway into comics in general, and the Avengers in particular. I never looked back.

Excellent choice. Spoiler! This is the issue where Whirlwind boldly takes on all four cover guys at once, flattens two, evades a third, and one-shots his archrival in the process. If only it wasn't for that meddling Moondragon . . . *shakes fist*

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I also remember this one... vaguely. Some "friend" or older cousin probably couldn't wait to unload this on an unsuspecting "noob".

• Options
    WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 94
    This will probably come as a surprise to no one, as it features two of my three favorite characters from all time (and the third hadn't been invented yet). It was a classic fighting issue - one before the staples, one after - and you learned all you needed to know of the characters within its pages.

It wasn't until years later that I got and read the other two issues in this arc, and they weren't nearly as satisfying. Isn't that always the way.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited March 2014
    phansford said:

The "First" was probably Batman #183. I would have been 5 years old and probably talked my dad into getting it for me at the local newsstand. The Batman Show was hot and I remember my brother (who would have been 9 yrs old) and I having these books around. My Dad read comics as a kid and he was happy to buy them for my brother and I.

When I started to collect comics and read them seriously.... my first books was ASM #151, which I bought off a spinner rack. I was a freshman in high school.

The Spidey comic is one of my first comics too!
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited March 2014
    Whirlwind said:

This will probably come as a surprise to no one, as it features two of my three favorite characters from all time (and the third hadn't been invented yet). It was a classic fighting issue - one before the staples, one after - and you learned all you needed to know of the characters within its pages.

It wasn't until years later that I got and read the other two issues in this arc, and they weren't nearly as satisfying. Isn't that always the way.

That's one of my favorite story arcs ever, and with one of my favorite scenes ever ... the part where a badly beaten Captain America gives his shield up to Wonder Man as he heads into battle against Nefaria. Great, great stuff.
  • Options

The first comic I read was the second issue of a two issue crossover between Nexus and Magnus the Robot Fighter. I have no idea where I got it from but I was entranced.

Was recently discussing this with a fellow customer at my LCS and he seemed pretty shocked by my first comics, so I figured I'd add the rest in here. (In addition to the one above.) Apparently it's a collection of such RANDOM comics that it is semi-shocking to at least a handful of geeks...

Union #1

X-Men #1

Ms. Marvel #1

Marvel Chillers #1

Action Comics #673

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited March 2014
    Pretty sure this issue taught me to read.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2017
    Bumping this thread to reference with the latest episode here
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Earlier I said Fantastic Four #270 was my first comic but it might be a He-Man mini comic that was packaged with the figures.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I think mine was G.I. Joe issue #11 from May 1983
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Whirlwind said:

Excellent choice. Spoiler! This is the issue where Whirlwind boldly takes on all four cover guys at once, flattens two, evades a third, and one-shots his archrival in the process. If only it wasn't for that meddling Moondragon . . . *shakes fist*

I literally "LOL'd" reading this again. What an epic reply.

• Options
    ChrisBeckettChrisBeckett Posts: 535
    As someone else also noted above, I'd read a couple of the DC Blue Ribbons Digests, and I distinctly remember looking through stacks of coverless comic books at store downtown, when I was young, but none of the comics I would have read from those purchases seem to have stuck.

My parents were very happy to have me reading -- they were both elementary school teachers -- but the idea of comic books as introductory reading material does not seem to have been one they supported (though, stating that, I don't know that they actively worked to stifle it). Anyway, it was my younger cousin--an avid Marvel reader at that point when Byrne was on FF, Simsonson was on Thor, and the X-Men title was firing on all cylinders--who really got me hooked on comics, as I would always read his comics when I was at his house, only a few blocks over. (Ironically, I am far more a DC guy than Marvel)

When I finally bit the bullet and decided to start my own collection, this was the book that became the cornerstone of that collection.

And a month and a half ago, I finally got that comic signed by Larry Hama, up here at the Bangor Comic & Toy Convention in Maine. Fantastic!

-chris
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'll be honest I was never a big comic reader as a kid. But I was heavily into all forms of GI Joe so my best guess is it was a GI Joe comic