Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1324 Talkback: Best of 2012 Nominations Show Part One

It's time to reveal the nominations for the CGS Best of 2012 Awards. Here in part one we have New Hero, New Villain, New Comic, Limited Series, Single Issue or Oneshot, Cliffhanger or Moment, Storyline, Sleeper/Surprise Hit, Ongoing, Reprint, Original Graphic Novel and Publication About Comics. (1:21:42)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    No Previews catalogs were harmed in the listening of this podcast. For once. ;)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Glad that Blacksad gets a nomination to represent European comics, although I suspect Underwater Welder will romp home in the OGN category (as it should).

For anyone with and interest in literature and Joyce in particular I would again recommend the award winning Dotter of her Father's Eyes by Mary and Bryan Talbot
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Pants, when are you going to post the nominations?*

M

*I know the show waits to post the nominations to entice people to listen to the episodes, but there is usually someone who asks right away. I wanted to get it out of the way.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited January 2013
    Guess I need to check out more of that "Falkenauge" dude....

Read the first issues - now waiting for the trade (the singles are way too expensive)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Indeed.

Congratulations to everyone for doing the right thing on this. I shall retire that hobby horse!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited January 2013

But I would put them on an endangered species list though.

A solid list of candidates but a bit too heavy in upselling on Hawkeye.

Otherwise, good job everyone.

Matthew

• Options
    some might think it's a bit too heavy in upselling SAGA - I'm not one of those.... :D

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Then again, some (myself for instance) might say comics as good as Hawkeye and Saga can't be upsold enough.
  • Options

some might think it's a bit too heavy in upselling SAGA - I'm not one of those.... :D

I nominated SAGA in 7 categories....8 if nominating the entire editorial staff at Image counts.... ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Then again, some (myself for instance) might say comics as good as Hawkeye and Saga can't be upsold enough.

Seconded!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    mguy1977 said:

But I would put them on an endangered species list though.

A solid list of candidates but a bit too heavy in upselling on Hawkeye.

Otherwise, good job everyone.

Matthew

Maybe, but if that's what they read and liked, so be it. Previews didn't get a nomination, we have more than 2 Best Writer candidates for what feels like the first time in years... it's a win.
  • Options
    Just listened to this episode (and Part Two) earlier tonight, and the talk of Daredevil caught my attention. I haven't regularly read Marvel comics in years, but when I was a kid, I used to read, re-read, and re-re-read Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #'s 97-100, and loved the Spot character. When Adam mentioned that this character got some attention in Daredevil last year, I was immediately brought back to reading those comics. I'd like to track down those Daredevil books Adam talked about - does anyone know what issue numbers they were, or if they've been collected in a trade?
  • Options

Just listened to this episode (and Part Two) earlier tonight, and the talk of Daredevil caught my attention. I haven't regularly read Marvel comics in years, but when I was a kid, I used to read, re-read, and re-re-read Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #'s 97-100, and loved the Spot character. When Adam mentioned that this character got some attention in Daredevil last year, I was immediately brought back to reading those comics. I'd like to track down those Daredevil books Adam talked about - does anyone know what issue numbers they were, or if they've been collected in a trade?

Off the top of my head, I can't recall the issue numbers, but they were very recent. Your LCS may even still have them on the shelves. #23 just came out, so I'm thinking they were, maybe, issues 19 - 21? I doubt they've been collected in a trade just yet, but may be very soon.
  • Options
    Adam_MurdoughAdam_Murdough Posts: 506
    edited January 2013

Off the top of my head, I can't recall the issue numbers, but they were very recent. Your LCS may even still have them on the shelves. #23 just came out, so I'm thinking they were, maybe, issues 19 - 21? I doubt they've been collected in a trade just yet, but may be very soon.
    Chuck's got it on the nose: #19-21 are the ones you're looking for. (Just be warned, if you're a fan of the Spot, that character suffers some pretty horrific treatment in these issues. Literally, torture and body-horror-type stuff. Not for the squeamish.)

You might also try to find Amazing Spider-Man #589, a story that is also pretty unkind to good ol' Dr. Ohnn, but that, unlike the abovementioned DD arc, at least affords him a bit of pathos.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, guys! I didn't realize the Daredevil issues mentioned were so recent. I might have to make an unscheduled visit to the local comic shop this weekend!
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    BTW, the Spot was featured in 2011's Daredevil #1 as well (reprinted in trade and HC by this point). That appearance sets up what he does in #19-21.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Just finished listening to Part 1. After reading the Listener Nominations thread, no big surprises. Man, I guess I should be getting Saga and My Little Pony. Pants' enthusiasm for Hawkeye was amusing. I like the series also, but I sometimes don't get what Fraction is going for...