Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Justice League Dark

Guillermo del Toro Confirms DC Comic Justice League Feature

(coventrytelegraph.net) Warner Bros is planning some supergroup action, with rumours of a Justice League movie on the way. In addition, a more supernatural counterpart is being developed, based on the DC comic Justice League Dark.

Guillermo del Toro has confirmed he is developing the project, called Dark Universe and previously rumoured to be called Heaven Sent.

"I'm working on it," del Toro told IGN. "I'm writing the outline and we're already in talks with a writer. A very, very good writer.

"People are probably going to be happy with who we have chosen. He accepted. I've been courting this writer, who I think is the perfect guy for this job. We're doing it. Hopefully it will happen."

The line-up will include Swamp Thing, The Demon, John Constantine, Deadman, The Spectre, Zatara and Zatanna.

The filmmaker insisted it wasn't triggered by Marvel's blockbuster success: "The movement for this happened before [The Avengers]. They were already galvanized to launch Justice League and make their universe cohesive. They are very, very confident with what they have.

"They are now feeling they have two pillars. Batman and Superman - there's a foundation they can build on."

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Aaaaand we can pretty well count on never seeing a new mature readers Constantine or Swamp Thing story ever again.

Because they are Justice Leaguers now. Superheroes.

(Ugh)
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I like the sound of this. Del Toro is class fantasy director and a great choice for a film of these characters.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    It will never happen. There will never be a justice league dark movie
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    Planeis said:

I don't think it's really a Justice League Dark movie. A lot of people think it's based on the American Gothic storyline from Swamp Thing in the 80s. When Del Toro is listing a few characters from the potential film, the interviewer presses him for more and he says he doesn't want to reveal anymore because you would know a little bit of the plot. That leads people to believe it's based on an existing story, if one could possibly figure it out by knowing the characters it involves.

Del Toro is known to be a big fan of Swamp Thing and every character he mentioned in the interview appeared in that story. I think American Gothic saw Swamp Thing and other supernatural heroes battling something called The Great Darkness that was in a war with Heaven. Or something along those lines. Seeing as how the project was originally identified as Heaven Sent and is now called Dark Universe, it seems plausible.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    This movie has an uphill climb to be made and to be successful. The characters are not "A" list characters known to a lot of people who are not serious comic readers. So you are going to have to cram a lot of origin into the movie + have a plot that has mass appeal to grab the non comic reader.

However, depending on the casting, I will gladly pay to see a movie with Zatanna. I will see it twice if she has her pre new 52 costume.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    tazmaniak said:

Planeis said:

I don't think it's really a Justice League Dark movie. A lot of people think it's based on the American Gothic storyline from Swamp Thing in the 80s. When Del Toro is listing a few characters from the potential film, the interviewer presses him for more and he says he doesn't want to reveal anymore because you would know a little bit of the plot. That leads people to believe it's based on an existing story, if one could possibly figure it out by knowing the characters it involves.

Del Toro is known to be a big fan of Swamp Thing and every character he mentioned in the interview appeared in that story. I think American Gothic saw Swamp Thing and other supernatural heroes battling something called The Great Darkness that was in a war with Heaven. Or something along those lines. Seeing as how the project was originally identified as Heaven Sent and is now called Dark Universe, it seems plausible.
    Well, I don't really see the Justice League movie happening either. I think a LOT depends on Man of Steel. If its a huge, huge hit I think Justice League will be put on a fast track. If Man of Steel just does OK, I think JL could be put off and maybe never end up materializing. If MoS does bad... back to the drawing board at the WB.
  • Options
    JimKellyJimKelly Posts: 20
    edited January 2013
    I'm game, it sounds cool in theory. So then this is not based on any existing story? Because if it is I definitely want to check (EDIT: it) out.

David_D I hear you. This shouldn't be called a 'Justice League' anything. There has to be a way more interesting arena for all of these characters to come together.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I would rather see a Demon Knights movie first.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    JimKelly said:

I'm game, it sounds cool in theory. So then this is not based on any existing story? Because if it is I definitely want to check (EDIT: it) out.

David_D I hear you. This shouldn't be called a 'Justice League' anything. There has to be a way more interesting arena for all of these characters to come together.

It should be noted that even though the thread mentions Justice League Dark, Del Toro has never referenced the comic nor intimated that his project was based on it or had anything to do with it. The current title of the film is Dark Universe, not Justice League Dark or any variations of the name. At least not at the moment.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    tazmaniak said:

JimKelly said:

It should be noted that even though the thread mentions Justice League Dark, Del Toro has never referenced the comic nor intimated that his project was based on it or had anything to do with it. The current title of the film is Dark Universe, not Justice League Dark or any variations of the name. At least not at the moment.

That's a fair point. Though I can't imagine that a title like "Dark Universe" would get to the finish line. It seems like a place holder. And, given that DC Entertainment chose to launch a title called Justice League Dark not long ago, which features a team of most of these characters, I can't imagine them not wanting to try to make a film that integrates that existing title (and leverages the brand recognition of "Justice League"). I could be wrong, we'll see. But I take your point that, despite the title of this thread, and the way that commentators are using JLD as a shorthand to track this movie, it is not (yet?) what the project is officially called.
  • Options
    BListerBLister Posts: 23
    Bleeding cool mentioned a fan favorite writer was working on the script. I sent Neil Gaiman a message on tumblr asking if it was him. He says it is not him.
  • Options

I would rather see a Demon Knights movie first.

Oh yes.