Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1326 Talkback: Marvel Now Round Eight

Time to look at some more of the new Marvel Now books. In this episode we discuss New Avengers #1, Morbius: The Living Vampire #1 and The Superior Spider-Man #1. (52:00)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Having read both issues of New Avengers to date, I give it a very, very strong 'Buy'! If I have one complaint, it would be the use of the symbol for the book's logo -- that's going to get old and confusing before very long. But that's a nitpick.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Regarding Morbius. Back in the 70's, I think he either had a short run of stories in something like Marvel Chillers or had backup stories in one of the Dracula books.
  • Options
    ARrrgggh. Now I have to read Superior Spider-Man.
  • Options
    rebis said:

Regarding Morbius. Back in the 70's, I think he either had a short run of stories in something like Marvel Chillers or had backup stories in one of the Dracula books.

Morbius had ongoing strips in Adventure Into Fear and the black and white magazine, Vampire Tales. The former was written by Steve Gerber, and, I believe, the latter was written by Don McGregor.

• Options
    Ok, ok I think there's been enough of Pants "Timmy" to Murd's "Mr Wizard". Murd has
    an extraordinary vocabulary but it's really not necessary to make it a big deal. Murd may even be uncomfortable with it if he were asked. When a word is dropped just right it doan and look it up after the recorder is off. Please?
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I'm with Jamie on New Avengers, and I'd just add that this seems to be a clear example of Hickman being needlessly difficult and overcomplicated with his storytelling. I generally really, really enjoy the way he tells stories, but from time to time I get the sense that what's going on is just purposely vague, obscure and nonlinear simply so as to give the illusion of depth and meaning that just isn't really there. That's how New Avengers #1 felt to me.

Cheers for these continued Marvel Now! episodes, guys. All and all, I'm liking the revamp a whole lot still, with Thor and All-New X-Men leading the pack in terms of favorite titles. Personally I don't think Uncanny Avengers is all that bad either.
  • Options

rebis said:

Morbius had ongoing strips in Adventure Into Fear and the black and white magazine, Vampire Tales. The former was written by Steve Gerber, and, I believe, the latter was written by Don McGregor.

Thanks for the info. I remember reading a friends comic that had a Morbius strip. I could not remember what that book was. At the time my age was still in the single digits.
  • Options
    Superior Spider-Man was fun. I think I'm going to like this incarnation of Spider-Man, even if it isn't going to last as long as I'd like. New Avengers however, has been a little too slow for me. Two issues in and I just feel like more could have happened. I didn't check out Morbius, mostly because I saw Spidey 699.1 as the "zero" issue for this title and that prologue didn't interest me at all.

So far, Indestructible Hulk and X-Men Legacy have been my favorite titles, but the last issue of Uncanny Avengers was pretty neat so I guess I'll include that as well. Thanks for doing these review episodes guys. I also look forward to hearing you talk about Age Of Ultron, as I am still on the fence with that one.
  • Options
    @JamieD I know you didn't care for new avengers 1, but issue 3 was fantastic and if you have a chance should try to at least borrow 2 and 3. 1 and 2 should have really been out together for a double sized issue in my opinion, it would have started the series out better.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133

Ok, ok I think there's been enough of Pants "Timmy" to Murd's "Mr Wizard". Murd has
    an extraordinary vocabulary but it's really not necessary to make it a big deal. Murd may even be uncomfortable with it if he were asked. When a word is dropped just right it doan and look it up after the recorder is off. Please?

100% agree. This has been bugging me as of late as well.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    rebis said:

ARrrgggh. Now I have to read Superior Spider-Man.

No one HAS to read Superior Spider-Man. I've been free of the 616 Spidey for over 10 years now and there's plenty of tales about the Spider-Man that are more true to the concept. Ultimate Spider-Man, USM Team up, Tangled Web, Spider-Man with Great Power, and some of his Avengers appearances.

Jamie, if you're insinuating Slott changed the ending of Superior #1 after reaction to #700, I think that's impossible given printing/shipping restraints and also a horrid decision for a creator.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    abuddah said:

rebis said:

Jamie, if you're insinuating Slott changed the ending of Superior #1 after reaction to #700, I think that's impossible given printing/shipping restraints and also a horrid decision for a creator.

I dont think I ever insinuated that and I know I dont believe it. If anything I was a little disappointed the came out and said it so quickly without a little more mystery, I think he may have done it that quickly to appease the backlash he knew would happen when all was revealed but he didnt do it because of it
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

@JamieD I know you didn't care for new avengers 1, but issue 3 was fantastic and if you have a chance should try to at least borrow 2 and 3. 1 and 2 should have really been out together for a double sized issue in my opinion, it would have started the series out better.

I read number 2 and still didnt care for it but like a sap I bought number three because I looked at it and it looked better and I loved the tease for issue 4
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I mention my reviews in the next round, but this New (after all these years, we still need to say its new?!) Avengers got me thinking about Bendis' original line up. People looked at the line up as Marvel's JLA. I completely disagreed with that. This Illuminati line feels more like a JLA roster (with the key 7 members.)

M
  • Options
    GrayKnoxGrayKnox Posts: 11
    December: "The ending of ASM 700 was unbelievable. Doc Ock couldn't change his spots so quickly."

January: [Doc Ock doesn't change his spots so quickly.] "I don't like that Doc Ock is being bad. Didn't he say he say he was going to change? He's taking too long."

Superior Spider-man is a great, great idea and it's being exceptionally well executed. Enjoy it while it lasts. Obviously, by now it's lasted much more than 2 issues. If you want to know how long it's going to last, check the release date for the Amazing Spider-man 2 movie and put a reminder in your calender to buy ASM Vol. 2 #1 ("Collector's Item!") that month.