Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Holiday (vacation) Help!

Hi everybody,

I need some comics help and advice. In a couple months time I'm coming to Santa Cruz, California on holiday. While the majority of my time will be spent there, I'll also be going to San Fransisco for a few days.

I was wondering anybody who live or has been to these areas could give me some advice on the best comic stores around as well as any other comic or non-comic must sees.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I cannot remember the name of the store, but I believe Brian Hibbs store is in San Fran. He has been on the show in the past and occasional writes for the CBR website.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Thanks @CaptShazam. I'll have to look up the old shows and see where his store is.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    Brian's store is Comix Experience and it is in San Francisco.

And a plug for the CGS archives - Brian Hibbs was on episodes 189, 231, 320, 639, 777, 1036 and the Special Report: Civil War episode.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    In Santa Cruz the best place is Atlantis Fantasyworld
    Great Shop, nice selection of new and wall books and some old books.

Joe has been a fixture in the comics community for long time.
    http://www.atlantisfantasyworld.com/

The Boardwalk is the main attraction in Santa Cruz, besides the surfing.

The two shops in S.F. that are a must

As CaptShazam mentioned one is Brian Hibbs' Comic Experience
    http://comixexperience.com/

and the other is James Sime's Isotope Comics
    http://isotopecomics.com/

In S.F. besides the usual tourist sites you might want to check out The Cartoon Art Museum.
    http://cartoonart.org/

The first tuesday of every month is "Pay what you wish day" so you can get in on the cheap if money is an issue. Otherwise it is still pretty cheap the rest of the time.

Right now they are showing an exhibition of the 30th anniversary of "Love and Rockets"
  • Options
    Thanks @Pants. Top plugging, currently getting all these added to favourites on the app. These will help get me through the overtime at work today!

Thanks @Webhead. Some great info there. That museum sounds very interesting, think I'll have to check that out while I'm there. There's going to be plenty of comic related stuff to my teeth into!
  • Options
    I'm loving these episodes with Brian Hibbs @Pants. You should get him on again soon, loving his incites into the industry.

@Webhead looks like I'll definitely be going to the museum, there will be a Chuck Jones exhibit on while I'm there. I grew up watch Looney Tunes and seeing all his art will be amazing. Thanks again for the heads up!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    edited January 2013
    luke52 said:

@Webhead looks like I'll definitely be going to the museum, there will be a Chuck Jones exhibit on while I'm there. I grew up watch Looney Tunes and seeing all his art will be amazing. Thanks again for the heads up!

No problem, I visit those towns for work frequently so I am familiar with both.

If you do not mind some driving you might want to take a day trip to Monterey and visit Cannery Row in Monterey which also has the Monterey Bay Aquarium (which had a staring roll in Star Trek IV) also in Santa Cruz you might want to take a ride through the redwoods on the Roaring Camp Railroad
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    James Sime's Isotope Comics sounds as much like an experience as it is a store. If/when I ever get to SF, that'll be a mandatory visit for me.
  • Options
    Luke52, find Hibb's Tilting at Windmills books on eBay or Amazon. It's pretty entertaining and insightful reading and collects a ton of his online articles. I've read the first one but haven't tracked down a Volume 2 yet, but i'm sure it's just as god.
  • Options
    Sorry, typo there. Just as good...
  • Options
    MarkRojasMarkRojas Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    non comic related make sure you visit Pier 39 while in SF, and maybe Alcatraz (what i always believed Arkham asylum would be like) if you have time
  • Options
    Webhead said:

luke52 said:

No problem, I visit those towns for work frequently so I am familiar with both.

If you do not mind some driving you might want to take a day trip to Monterey and visit Cannery Row in Monterey which also has the Monterey Bay Aquarium (which had a staring roll in Star Trek IV) also in Santa Cruz you might want to take a ride through the redwoods on the Roaring Camp Railroad
    @WebHead I will be hiring a car and I do want to visit the red wood forests in some way. I also want to drive up to San Fran via the costal road Highway 1. I've heard it's a beautiful drive. And funnily enough my girlfriend has already pencilled us in for a trip to the Monterey Aquarium.
  • Options
    Loukayza said:

Luke52, find Hibb's Tilting at Windmills books on eBay or Amazon. It's pretty entertaining and insightful reading and collects a ton of his online articles. I've read the first one but haven't tracked down a Volume 2 yet, but i'm sure it's just as god.

I'm really enjoying the podcasts featuring Brian. I imagine this would be a really interesting read. I'm just finishing Marvel The Untold Story so i could do with another comic book book. I'll have to get on eBay.
  • Options
    MarkRojas said:

non comic related make sure you visit Pier 39 while in SF, and maybe Alcatraz (what i always believed Arkham asylum would be like) if you have time

Thanks @MarkRojas. Alcatraz is on my list of musts while in San Fran. I'm also going to visit Pier 39. I love seafood so hoping to find some good restaurants. Plus the girlfriend and i are Forest Gump fans, so gotta go to Bubba Gumps and get the obligatory fridge magnet.