Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What is Marvel's Omnibus publishing routine?

I am curious if anybody knows if Marvel officially announced that they are not continuing the complete omnibus projects like Spidey and FF. I have the first two Fantastic Four volumes but it has been years since those came out. Marvel has skipped ahead and done a John Byrne FF volume, which makes me think that they aren't planning on publishing more individual volumes.

Comments

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm not sure that the Omnibus projects were ever meant to result in a long series of volumes. And they have often been out of order, and have tended to spotlight individual creators or runs on a long book rather than become a sort of library edition complete collection of any title. Usually they have gone for where they imagine the demand would be, and thus some of the earliest omnibus editions were Bendis and Gaydos Alias, or Morrison/Quitely/etc.'s New X-Men. So I don't think they will ever go back and fill in gaps unless what is in that gap might be considered popular enough to sell on its own.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I just want an Amazing Spiderman Omnibus vol 3.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I just want an Amazing Spiderman Omnibus vol 3.

I could see that happening-- it would still be a lot of Lee/Romita issues. I guess it comes down to how well the second omnibus sold, though. I guess we'll see.

• shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I wish there was some predictablity and/or consistency to their Omnibuses. I love the format but Atlantis Attacks and Acts of Vengence on the same level as Lee/Ditko Spiderman or Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four? Mind you I have Atlantis Attacks and not FF but that is more availability and price. I plan on picking up the Micheline/Layton Iron Man as my tax return treat but West Coast Avengers listed after that seems a stretch at best when so much is left uncollected. They do not seem to do much market research either. You would think they could have that Lee/Ditko Omnibus more easily available instead of some of the things they pull out of a hat.
  • Like many of their other publishing of older material, it is usually connected to either something going on in the current comics or as a tie-in to a movie. The Iron Man omnibus came out when the first movie did, and the first Spidey Omnibus came out in collection to a movie IIRC.