Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ever thought about doing a Spotlight on Captain Marvel(Shazam)

He's a somewhat well known character with a reasonably interesting publishing history.

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I would love to hear it, but I don't know how many of us can speak to Cap's Golden Age history with any authority. A guy like Bill Jourdain might have to be recruited to add to the show.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    The guy to get would be P.C. Hamerlink, editor of the FCA (Fawcett Collectors of America). He was friends with C.C. Beck, and has interviewed pretty much everyone who worked there who lived into the 1980s.
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    edited January 2013
    There probably isn't any well known character we haven't thought about doing a spotlight on. It's just a matter of time and interest on our part.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Well, obviously I'd be on board for listening to this, too, particularly if Bill Jourdain or P.C. Hammerlink were to be involved. That would be good listening.

The only drawback is that so little of the classic Captain Marvel/Marvel Family material has been reprinted, and of the stuff that has been, a lot of it is long out-of-print and hard to find.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I would love a spotlight on Captain Marvel. While there is maybe not enough material as with the Spiderman spotlights, there are still a couple of episodes of material.

There are some reference books out there regarding the Golden Age stuff, but some of those are becoming just as rare as the comics.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Well, obviously I'd be on board for listening to this, too, particularly if Bill Jourdain or P.C. Hammerlink were to be involved. That would be good listening.

The only drawback is that so little of the classic Captain Marvel/Marvel Family material has been reprinted, and of the stuff that has been, a lot of it is long out-of-print and hard to find.

That brings up an interesting question. Sellers on ebay have dvds with the complete run of Captain Marvel Adventures in cbr format. There's also a couple of sites where these issues can be downloaded. Here's the question. Are the issues released by Fawcett in the Public Domain?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    rebis said:

That brings up an interesting question. Sellers on ebay have dvds with the complete run of Captain Marvel Adventures in cbr format. There's also a couple of sites where these issues can be downloaded. Here's the question. Are the issues released by Fawcett in the Public Domain?
    Yes, the Fawcett stories are all in the public domain. The characters and their names, however, are not. That comes down to the difference in copyright law and trademark law.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

rebis said:

Yes, the Fawcett stories are all in the public domain. The characters and their names, however, are not. That comes down to the difference in copyright law and trademark law.

Plus there is a few places you can download all the Fawcett Captain Marvel stuff.