Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1327: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited January 2013 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Author Tom King joins us in studio to talk about his story in the upcoming Vertigo anthology 'Time Warp'. We then talk about the cancellation of the Green Lantern and Young Justice animated series, IDW making new X-Files comics, JJ Abrams agreeing to direct the next Star Wars movie, Star Trek Deep Space Nine and more. (1:34:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    There should already be a copy of Alan Moore's Future Shocks in the studio (hint, hint).
    ;)

Also, IIRC it was Rick Veitch who walked from Swamp Thing when DC decided not to run his Swampy meets Jesus issue.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Also, IIRC it was Rick Veitch who walked from Swamp Thing when DC decided not to run his Swampy meets Jesus issue.

It was, though it wasn't exactly for that specific reason. He walked because the upper hierarchy at DC nixed the story after he had already secured approvals at every level along the way, and when they did, it was a kind of double-take moment where they essentially said "Oh, we didn't think you meant that! Of course you can't do that!" And by that time, the penciller on the story (Mike Zulli) had already drawn half of the story. Veitch had anticipated possible editorial difficulties with his story, which was why he had continually checked to make sure it was going to be approved, and it had been, repeatedly, until the story was very far along to completion. That was what upset him, and that was why he walked.

It's a shame, too. I was really enjoying that storyline and I wish they had completed it; it was the last Swamp Thing story that I really, really enjoyed. The patch-up job by Doug Wheeler some months later wasn't nearly as satisfying. And I wish they would get around to collecting the rest of the Veitch issues in trade as well.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Green Lantern and Young Justice were too good to last.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    I posted this in another thread, the bungled merchandising of Young Justice and GL by Mattel killed the series. They did two scales at ridiculously high prices, one around the scale of JLU, the other around a Marvel Legend. The JLU fans weren't up for it as it didn't jive with the Bruce Timm designs of old. The 6" scale was packed with these giant bases that were an unnecessary addition to the cost. As for GL, there were prototypes made, however no retailer was willing to carry them as they already had a glut of GL movie merchandise haunting their aisles. There were other merchandisers at fault as well. Where were the beach towels, the candy, the cups, all the other things Teen Titans and JLU appeared on. The most they could get was a limited McDonalds toy run.
  • Options
    This is a very funny episode! Lots of laugh out loud moments.

Is there a good place to start with Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS?
    IIRC, there's been some chatter that season 1 of Young Justice wasn't great...
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    Jamie, Star Trek the TV show was very much sci-Fi concepts. However the movies have been really action adventure, same as Star Wars
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    So what podcaster was hired by Image?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    DAR said:

Ron Richards from iFanboy.

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Since so much Bible was misquoted, I thought I would add this nugget.

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199

This is a very funny episode! Lots of laugh out loud moments.

Is there a good place to start with Young Justice and Green Lantern: TAS?
    IIRC, there's been some chatter that season 1 of Young Justice wasn't great...

Both shows are in the middle of their second, and final season, so there's not a lot of episodes to be too picky about starting from. I don't know who's saying that season one of Young Justice wasn't very good, but I liked it a lot. I guess in season one they might have acted a little more like kids, but I didn't think it was bad.

I'm disappointed that these two series are ending so soon. I looked forward to them every week. I was even getting the comic books, and I would have liked to see more from the Young Justice toys.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    abuddah said:

I posted this in another thread, the bungled merchandising of Young Justice and GL by Mattel killed the series. They did two scales at ridiculously high prices, one around the scale of JLU, the other around a Marvel Legend. The JLU fans weren't up for it as it didn't jive with the Bruce Timm designs of old. The 6" scale was packed with these giant bases that were an unnecessary addition to the cost. As for GL, there were prototypes made, however no retailer was willing to carry them as they already had a glut of GL movie merchandise haunting their aisles. There were other merchandisers at fault as well. Where were the beach towels, the candy, the cups, all the other things Teen Titans and JLU appeared on. The most they could get was a limited McDonalds toy run.

You know, this does not surprise me. Since Superman Returns, I have noticed a huge influx of toys and toy sections for tie-ins. Hell, I think Pants' store is paying people to take SR toys away because of the leftovers!

I've theorizing that this type of move is killing the toy collector. How can a collection be THAT valuable if the shelves are crammed with the toys (I feel the same about comics and multiple printings of sold out issues, but I digress.) I got 2 of every Han Solo figures back in the late 90s (1 to open, 1 to keep mint) and I could not give the other one away last year because they are STILL on the shelves.

It'd be nice if the manufacturers would keep consistent (pick a size and stick with it) and look back at the supply and demand chart for production!

M
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Jamie, what do you have against Ridley Scott?
  • Options
    After Prometheus I'm not sure I want Ridley directing a Star Wars film.

I do love Alien though. And even though I like Blade Runner I've never been blown away by it. I do love some of his non-sci fi films better, Gladiator, American Gangster and the underrated Matchstick Men.

I will say that he does get a little too much credit and his brother Tony, who sadly isn't with us anymore, didn't get enough.

If everything goes to Disney's plan with Star Wars where they release episodes 7 8 9 etc. I think those for now would go to a bigger name director, possibilities after Abraham's, Sam Rami, Gore Verbinski, Whedon, and I hope one day, Brad Bird. While any planned spinoffs would maybe o to an up and comer like Rian Johnson.

As for Green Lantern and Young Justice I liked what I saw. I would forget they were on when I had time to watch them or forget to set my dvr

I'm guessing they were pulled because they were likely losing money for Cartoon Network. Whereas something that's been established like a Spongebob has paid for itself for years.
  • Options
    Getting back to Ridley Scott for a moment I forget he also directed Kingdom of Heaven. The theatrical version is a decent film, the director's cut is a masterpiece
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I agree that The Batman became a much better show as it went on - I found the first 2 seasons to be nearly unwatchable (oh, goody, the Riddler's a Marilyn Manson wannabe), but it improved progressively once they added Jim Gordon, Batgirl, Robin, and finally the various JLA members. They even managed to add Harley in that last season, in a story written by Paul Dini no less!

Disagree on the theme music, though. I hated that thing by the Edge that was on the first season or two and thought the Bat-surf rock theme from the later seasons was another sign of the show's improvement.

As for Young Justice and GL, I wish I could say I was surprised. Cartoon Network has never had the best track record with the DC Universe shows, at least when it comes to airing them. Justice League Unlimited was particularly abused by the end... months long gaps between episodes, then when they finally would deign to bring it back, they'd air it once on Saturday night and that was it. No reruns during the week, no reruns period after a while. They certainly don't go out of their way to make it easy to watch their shows sometimes.
  • Options
    Playing catch up on episodes. First, I have to say having Tom King in the studio really made this a standout ep. The guy is #$%&ing hilaaaarious.

As to the topic of "does it matter who's directing the new Star Wars film?" Yes it does. I agree with Pants's argument that the crowds will still flock to see this film - because, hey, they went to see those three pieces of shit prequels Lucas did. And I was there (though I must qualify that disclaimer with the fact that I saw Ep.III because my youngest son, at the time, wanted to go see it, otherwise, I would not have paid hard-earned cash to sit through another travesty like that), so I'm as much to blame as the other guy.

But, when the Disney deal went through and Episode VII was announced, I knew I wouldn't be hitting the theater to see that. The original trilogy are some of my all-time favorite movies, and I still have all of my figures from back in the day (and I mean, baaaack in the day), but those prequels completely soured me to any new films.

And then J.J. Abrams was announced as the director. I'm in. I loved Star Trek. I loved Alias. I love Lost (only into season 4, at this point, but I'm hooked). The man's got a track record that tells me he can do something great with this franchise that I have an incredible affinity for. So, yes, who the director is matters, after the fiasco that was the prequels.

Also, I want to second Brad Bird getting a shot at the franchise, as someone mentioned up-thread. I started watching Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol on Netflix last night, and I wouldn't have believed you could get me to watch and enjoy one of those films (again, Abrams is involved with this, as well).

chris
  • Options
    "What's a cubit?" Ha!

Great Bill Cosby reference, Pants.

chris
  • Options

I agree that The Batman became a much better show as it went on - I found the first 2 seasons to be nearly unwatchable (oh, goody, the Riddler's a Marilyn Manson wannabe), but it improved progressively once they added Jim Gordon, Batgirl, Robin, and finally the various JLA members. They even managed to add Harley in that last season, in a story written by Paul Dini no less!

Disagree on the theme music, though. I hated that thing by the Edge that was on the first season or two and thought the Bat-surf rock theme from the later seasons was another sign of the show's improvement.

Guess we'll just have to cite "different strokes" on this one, Bill. Myself, I thought the new music was a self-consciously, shoddily "retro" three-way-trainwreck mishmash of the '60s Batman opening sequence (note the synthesized-horn "biff-bam-pow" SFX) and the themes from "Hawaii Five-O" and "Teen Titans," probably formulated to appeal to crossover viewers of the latter. On the other hand, I thought the Edge's original theme, with its moaning guitars and freaky reverb effects, was really cool and eerie and atmospheric and minimalist (this coming from a guy who usually prefers overproduction in his music, mind you) and just an all-around better fit for the tone that this particular interpretation of Batman was trying to set. Granted, said tone got considerably lighter once Robin, Batgirl, et al. showed up, but not "Bat-Malibu" light! The Edge's theme was the best thing about the first season of "The Batman," IMO, and though we're in agreement that the show improved drastically in most other respects as time passed, it just became that much harder for me to stay tuned past the opening titles after the original music was scrapped.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    "A Castle In The Sky"? Wow, I need to visit the CGS studio! Ah, I remember this guy Tom now. He's like a ramped-up, over-the-top version of the Deemer. I don't think he's that funny, but yeah, rather humorous. Oh, I sense some frustration with the DC Nation: the f-bombs were flyin'! J.J. Abrams for Star Wars? AWESOME! Dr. Strange?: AWESOME! Anyway...wow, yeah y'all did seem to be getting a bit punch-drunk there. Funny. Enjoyable. Allright.....
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Tom's a funny guy, but he makes Geoff Klock look sedate by comparison. When he's been on the show, I keep thinking of this one line from Real Genius: "But - and I am only saying this because I care - there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing." :D
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Pants said:

DAR said:

Ron Richards from iFanboy.

Holy crap! That's awesome, yes?