Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Planet Hulk?

Is Marvel Studios Planning a Planet Hulk Feature?

(Latino Review) Although "Phase Two" of Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios' ongoing cinematic universe isn't set to begin until the May release of Shane Black's Iron Man 3, Latino Review is claiming to have learned some early details about what to expect from "Phase Three".

The ending of Marvel's The Avengers 2, the site claims, will see Mark Ruffalo's Hulk lost in space and in a position where his next big screen solo adventure can follow the plot of Greg Pak's 2006 storyline, Planet Hulk. In that series, the Hulk finds himself a gladiatorial champion on an alien world.

The site also notes that the Marvel Cinematic Universe will offer their own take on the comics' Illuminati, a "secret order" comprised of Doctor Strange, Black Bolt, Charles Xavier, Reed Richards, Namor and Iron Man. Of course, the core structure of that group is very likely to change for the big screen, but, as in the comics, they will be responsible for the The Hulk's banishment into space.

From there, early plans are said to call for the Hulk to return in Marvel's The Avengers 3 for a revenge-driven World War Hulk adaptation.

Planet Hulk was previously adapted into a direct-to-DVD feature in 2010.

Following Iron Man 3 on May 3, "Phase Two" will include Thor: The Dark World on November 8, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014 and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014 before concluding with Marvel's The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015. "Phase Three" will begin with Ant-Man on November 6, 2015 and, while no further titles have been confirmed, a Doctor Strange film is believed to be in the works as well.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Planet Hulk and WWH, why?!

I know the Hulk has been been a career outsider in the comics, but what is wrong with letting the character established in the cinematic universe stay the way he is? Just let the Hulk be, I loved the way Stark and Banner interacted in Avengers, I want more of that, I don't want to see it torn down.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I think that rough outline sounds great. If rumors are to be believed I'm glad they are putting a long game in play. Obviously Marvel have not been slaves to the books so some form of WWH would not be so bad if the quality matches the past films.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    mrfusion said:

Is Marvel Studios Planning a Planet Hulk Feature?

(Latino Review) Although "Phase Two" of Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios' ongoing cinematic universe isn't set to begin until the May release of Shane Black's Iron Man 3, Latino Review is claiming to have learned some early details about what to expect from "Phase Three".

The ending of Marvel's The Avengers 2, the site claims, will see Mark Ruffalo's Hulk lost in space and in a position where his next big screen solo adventure can follow the plot of Greg Pak's 2006 storyline, Planet Hulk. In that series, the Hulk finds himself a gladiatorial champion on an alien world.

The site also notes that the Marvel Cinematic Universe will offer their own take on the comics' Illuminati, a "secret order" comprised of Doctor Strange, Black Bolt, Charles Xavier, Reed Richards, Namor and Iron Man. Of course, the core structure of that group is very likely to change for the big screen, but, as in the comics, they will be responsible for the The Hulk's banishment into space.

From there, early plans are said to call for the Hulk to return in Marvel's The Avengers 3 for a revenge-driven World War Hulk adaptation.

Planet Hulk was previously adapted into a direct-to-DVD feature in 2010.

Following Iron Man 3 on May 3, "Phase Two" will include Thor: The Dark World on November 8, Captain America: The Winter Soldier on April 4, 2014 and Guardians of the Galaxy on August 1, 2014 before concluding with Marvel's The Avengers 2 on May 1, 2015. "Phase Three" will begin with Ant-Man on November 6, 2015 and, while no further titles have been confirmed, a Doctor Strange film is believed to be in the works as well.

Sounds fake, they are talking about Avengers 3 which might come out till 2020
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited February 2013
    Planeis said:

Sounds fake, they are talking about Avengers 3 which might come out till 2020

So it might feature Arno Stark? :p

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I'm all for most of it WWH was a good story and would be a good direction for a new Hulk movie. Not sure if spinning Hulk out to his own movie again and then spinning him back in for the 3rd Avengers.

You could say that everyone that watches the Hulk movie would have watched Avengers 2 but I don't know that you could say that everyone that watches Avengers 3 will have watched the new Hulk movie.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited February 2013
    Planet Hulk was pretty solid and i'm cool with that as a direction. WW Hulk less so. they problem being the same as having the Punisher operate in the mainstream Marvel U. You can't have him straight murdering the Kingpin because A) well that would end the Kingpin and B) the Avengers would take issue with that particular breed of vigilantism. So having Hulk break Steve and Tony's necks in a fit of rage might be consistent with the character but it would end the franchise PDQ and sometimes to prevent that sort of thing by twisting the characters out of shape isn't good for the franchise either. i wasnt my characters consitent anmd true to themselves and i need the story to make sense. shoot hulk into space and i can suspend my disbelief no prob. have him not kill a dude for it when he gets back and i don't buy it.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186
    Hulk Launches into Space in ‘Avengers 2’ and Returns in ‘Avengers 3’

(examiner.com) According to Latino Review on Feb. 4, a revelation has been made that Hulk will be parting ways in the Marvel cinematic universe. The spoiler indicates that in “Avengers 2” he’ll be making his way into space and in “Avengers 3”, Hulk will be taking revenge when he returns to Earth.

Marvel’s recruitment process

Marvel is making strategic strides in mapping out its universe. Their agenda even started with “Iron Man” when Nick Fury approaches Tony Stark about The Avengers Initiative.

Also, the recruitment process continues at the end of “The Incredible Hulk” when Stark approaches General Ross about forming a team. Nick Fury continues further with the unfrozen Captain America as well and even Agent Coulson meets up with Thor after the encounter with Destroyer.

Hulk leaves Earth at the end of “Avengers 2”

When MTV talked with Kevin Feige if Hulk could carry his own movie, Feige gave his response:

Even if "Planet Hulk" or something similar is possible, there's no such movie coming any time soon. "Do I think Hulk can carry a movie and be as entertaining as he was in 'Avengers'? I do believe that. I do believe he absolutely could. We certainly are not even going to attempt that until 'Avengers 2,'" said Feige. "So there's a lot of time to think about it."

Now, with Mark Ruffalo having been lured into signing a six movie deal, he had sealed his career and future for years to come with the ability to star in his own franchise. So it sounds like Ruffalo will be making a smash for the long haul.

The future of Hulk

For those who don’t know where this story will go in the Marvel cinematic universe, phase two is based off the “Planet Hulk” story line where Hulk is fooled by the Illuminati into taking on a mission in space, but was extracted by a worm hole where he finds himself on a planet inhabited by aliens. In phase three, Hulk becomes king of said planet and then returns to Earth in “Avengers 3” to take revenge on the heroes who had exiled him based on comic book story arc of “World War Hulk”.

According to investigative reporter of Latino Review, El Mayimbe, there are no copies of these story arcs to be found anywhere in Manhattan. This just gives an idea how hot Hulk is prior to even having another movie.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Planet Hulk would make a great approach for a feature film. And they've already storyboarded it twice, once in the 12-issue comic arc and again as an animated feature. The other option is for Hulk to smash stuff on Earth, which is the plot to every Hulk appearance in TV and film ever. Boring.
  • Options
    Its kind of weird. But I keep thinking of John Carter of Mars when I think of this movie. When i read Planet Hulk I didn't of it but since John Carter came out and now they are talking about this it comes to mind. I thought John Carter was long and kind of boring. Planet Hulk will probably have more smashing and foes that will equal the Hulk. Now I had hoped that Avengers 3 would be Ultron so I am disappointed about that. I see the Hulk waging war being a possible precursor(?) to Civil War. People don't trust the heroes because one came back to wage war.
  • Options

Its kind of weird. But I keep thinking of John Carter of Mars when I think of this movie. When i read Planet Hulk I didn't of it but since John Carter came out and now they are talking about this it comes to mind. I thought John Carter was long and kind of boring.

Wow! I didn't think it was boring in the least. I thought it was one of the best action/fantasy films out last year!
  • Options

Its kind of weird. But I keep thinking of John Carter of Mars when I think of this movie. When i read Planet Hulk I didn't of it but since John Carter came out and now they are talking about this it comes to mind. I thought John Carter was long and kind of boring.

Wow! I didn't think it was boring in the least. I thought it was one of the best action/fantasy films out last year!
    Yeah. I fell asleep. There were some good scenes but I just didn't get into it. The chick was hot!

• Options
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61195

Beaks here...

Our good friend El Mayimbe of Latino Review has been on a scooping tear lately. Given his nearly perfect track record (and the fact that I know and respect him personally), I trust his reporting implicitly, and link to his stories the minute they're posted. I'll continue to do this. I mean, on rare occasions, even the trades get stuff wrong. It happens.

And this time, it happened to our pal El Mayimbe.

A few days after Mayimbe broke his big Super Bowl story (which detailed Marvel's Phase 2 and 3 plans for the Hulk), I had a discussion with an extremely well-connected source who claimed the scoop was "1,000% inaccurate". Mayimbe's story claimed THE AVENGERS 2 would conclude with Earth's Mightiest Heroes exiling an erratic Hulk to the planet Sakaar, thereby setting up a standalone PLANET HULK movie (in which Hulk would go all John Carter on some aliens). This would lead to a vengeful Hulk returning to Earth in THE AVENGERS 3, where he would likely do battle with some version of The Illuminati (i.e. the members to which Marvel owns the rights). According to my source, this just isn't happening - not as long as Marvel's got Mark Ruffalo committed to a six-picture deal as Bruce Banner. And that's the primary issue with PLANET HULK: Banner isn't in it at all (unless you count the WHAT IF... story where Banner is immediately killed upon reaching Sakaar).

To make sure, I went to a another source for confirmation, and they backed up every detail. PLANET HULK isn't happening.

I couldn't get either source to spill on Marvel's specific plans for a standalone Hulk movie post-AVENGERS 2, but I'm told that Ruffalo-as-Banner will be an integral part of that film. After two false starts with Banner, Marvel is thrilled with Ruffalo. The last thing they want to do is reduce his role. Sure, they could have Ruffalo play Hulk in mocap, but the Banner element would be gone - and this evidently is important to Marvel.

Just don't expect Marvel to comment officially on any of this. Their m.o. right now is to ignore rumors. In the future, when they've got something to announce, they'll probably do it via press release. At least they'll try to. And the non-trades will keep trying to make their lives miserable.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Good. I'd rather Avengers 3 be verses a Masters of Evil group then against the Hulk.

M
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Banner is not in Planet Hulk, and I suppose that's a concern when the movie adheres faithfully to the comic. But since no movie in history has ever done that, I don't see why you can't adjust the story to have Bruce Banner scenes and still do a damn good Planet Hulk film.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    RickM said:

Banner is not in Planet Hulk, and I suppose that's a concern when the movie adheres faithfully to the comic. But since no movie in history has ever done that, I don't see why you can't adjust the story to have Bruce Banner scenes and still do a damn good Planet Hulk film.

Exactly. Planet Hulk was one of the best stories I've read in the last 10 years or so. It could have been a great film and I'm sure they could have fit banner in there easily.

• Options
    Joss Whedon Calls Those Planet Hulk Rumors 'Nonsense'

(cinemablend.com) Movie web sites could employ writers full time whose jobs it was to just research and debunk daily Internet rumors tied to major superhero tent-pole franchises. They could work the DC/Warner Marvel/Disney beat for ages, tracking and verifying (or possibly shooting down) the stories we’re fed as fact … at least, until the facts are discounted by reputable sources who are in the know.

Joss Whedon should be “in the know” when it comes to The Avengers and the Marvel characters associated with that series. So when he talked to IGN and was asked about the recent rumors about a Planet Hulk movie bridging Avengers 2 and 3, we believe him when he called that “nonsense.” Peep the video:

The rumor, in case you missed it the first time around, laid out a grand Marvel plan where Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) would be banished from our planet at the end of the second Avengers movie, leading into the popular Planet Hulk storyline. Then, once Hulk had a standalone movie, the character would return to Hulk with an alien army to be the threat in the third Avengers says, it’s nonsense. Unless, of course, he’s lying. Misdirection keeps the life-blood of the comic-book Internet rumor mill flowing. It’s up to you whether you choose to believe Whedon, or if he’s throwing fans a curve to chase them off of his scent. I choose the former, and will only believe a Planet Hulk movie when I’m standing in line to watch it in a neighboring theater. And you?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Damn. I so wished there would be more Planet Hulk. One of the best Hulk stories. And with all the upcoming space operas like Star Wars and such - it would be good timing as well.