Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1330 Talkback: Comic Talk - WTF Certified

Discussions on this general chat episode include the Iron Man 3, Star Trek Into Darkness and The Lone Ranger trailers, Green Lantern The Animated Series, DC's WTF certified books, the new line of Star Wars figures and some Taylor Swift talk. Taylor Swift? WTF? (48:57)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited February 2013
    I thought the "God Made A Framer" ad was most the warm & heartfelt while the Kia ad w/ the babies & baby animals in space was the funniest this year. The Budweiser Colt ad was the 3rd best ad of the night. The Iron Man 3 ad was good. However since I don't drive nor drink booze it had no lasting impact for me other than it was a cleaver ad. The Rock milk ad was good too. The game was a good one it the tale of two halves-- Baltimore on a roll & the 49ers coming close but short in the end. Taylor Swift talk Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

As for the DC WTF it has no major effect as I will still be buying the same core DC books & that is it--Batman, Detective, Action, & Superman.

Finally, why would you watch Downton Abbey on the night of the Super Bowl?

Matthew

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    What the hell is wrong with trucks?
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    avclub.com/articles/wtf-is-going-on-at-dc-comics,91889/

"At this point, the only thing that could elicit a genuine shock from DC readers would be if the company decided to quit all the cheap storytelling tricks and actually push its books in a genuinely character-driven direction. Since launching The New 52 in September of 2011, the publisher has been emphasizing plot over character, and while there are certainly exceptions, there seem to be fewer with each month that passes under the editorial leadership of Bob Harras and Bobbie Chase."

That sums up my reaction
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I was surprised to see the Oreo library fight ad listed in an article talking about the worst of the Super Bowl ads, because I thought it was pretty funny. I have some admitted biases, of course (libraries are awesome, Oreos are awesome, humorous violence in an incongruous setting is super awesome, etc.), but still, I dug it. That Hyundai (I think) ad with the Flaming Lips and the family's best day ever was pretty fun, too.

The Lone Ranger ad has me a bit worried... I want to like that movie so much, but the ad made it look kinda dumb. And I agree about the casting of Tonto - maybe Johnny Depp has some Native American heritage, which if he does I expect will be played up heavily in the press junkets once it gets closer to release, but it always makes me uncomfortable when actors are "made up" to play races other than their own. This isn't "Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's" bad, but at first glance it might be on par with Swedish actor Werner Oland playing Charlie Chan. I hope I'm wrong. I really, really want to be wrong. I like The Lone Ranger and I really want this movie to be fun.

And by all means, check out the "extended look" Iron Man ad on Facebook. There's a dumb but funny gag in there. If you can sometimes appreciate humor that doesn't try, it's kinda great.

And @mguy1977, if we had had the option of watching Downton on Sunday night - we don't have cable, and fixing the antenna to get our PBS affiliate is frequently more trouble than its worth, so we catch it online the next day - we would have watched that, too. We're not a football house at all.
  • Options
    I've heard great things about the first season of Downton Abbey. Unfortunately, I've also heard that the 2nd, and even more so the 3rd season might as well be "As the World Turns" with a British Accent.
  • Options
    Not that they were articulated but the Star Wars Unleashed line was in scale and looks great among 6-7 inch action figures. I passed on a Yoda at Toys r Us and regretted it after seeing them skyrocket on eBay. Finally got one when the hype calmed down. I did grab a Chewie off the shelves that day though and that's a bad@$$ figure.
  • Options
    Okay, nostalgia time.

Shane, I loved hearing your story about your original Star Wars figure collection and totally relate to your anecdote about R2-D2. My first figure was Chewbacca. My parents got it for me in the summer of 1978 when I had the measles and couldn't go out for a few days. I took a chair (it was the Death Star) and that single figure and played Star Wars in the front hall, where the sun shone through the screen door, for three days. It was great.

Over the years, I lost that Chewbacca twice (that brown "fur" blends in rather well with the ground, don't ya know), but managed to find it both times - though I did replace it once - and still have that, along with almost all of my original figures (I had 93 of the 96), though my R2-D2 is the Empire version with the pop-up sensor rather than the original original.

Some day I plan on filling out that original collection with the 3 missing figures, but I'm going to wait until my 5 year old - who loves playing with my figures - is a bit more responsible with them.

And, with that out of the way, I'm quite excited for these new 6 inch figures, but I'll only be getting those that really appeal to me (original trilogy, none of the prequel crap). But these will probably be displayed (in the basement, of course) rather than played with. Or, not played with too much. But they will come out of the packaging, cuz that's how I roll.

Anyway. Another great episode guys. WTF to the WTF. Tired of the gimmicks (even though I'm not buying any regular DC books). I'd appreciate if DC would finally wake up and choose to create good comic with good writing and good art rather than gimmicks like pushing this "New 52" (adhering to 52 "core books" rather than focusing on the quality seems short-sighted, but what else would I expect?) and WTF crap.

chris
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Super Bowl! Yeah, great game. Very entertaining. Unfortunately, I didn't see any commercials: I watched it on NHK BS1 here in Japan where they fill the commercial time with replays of either the current game or previous games of the two teams.
    As for WTF?: I'll reserve judgement until it comes out. It seems to be just marketing to me. DC now has to combat Marvel Now supremacy.
    Star Wars Figures? Zzzzzz....just kidding! I like hearing toy remembrances.
    Taylor Swift: Wow, didn't know you'd answer my question so fast! Thanks for the 3 (Murd, Shane, Pants) views! And now I know the rest of the story and got all the facts!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Truck ad was great and I think the truck at the end wasn't exactly in our faces. In fact it looks just right sitting there in front of the farm. Best commercial of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

Downton Abbey is addictive(I'm on episode 5 of season one) and I can't blame Pants for switching back and forth during the game.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206

The Lone Ranger ad has me a bit worried... I want to like that movie so much, but the ad made it look kinda dumb. And I agree about the casting of Tonto - maybe Johnny Depp has some Native American heritage, which if he does I expect will be played up heavily in the press junkets once it gets closer to release, but it always makes me uncomfortable when actors are "made up" to play races other than their own. This isn't "Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's" bad, but at first glance it might be on par with Swedish actor Werner Oland playing Charlie Chan. I hope I'm wrong. I really, really want to be wrong. I like The Lone Ranger and I really want this movie to be fun.

Anyone getting a Will Smith Wild Wild West vibe? (thats not a compliment)
    From the makers of Pirates of the Carribean might be a selling point to some but I hated those movies (The first one was OK). Hope the story in Lone Ranger is a little more coherent.

• Options
    I didn't bother to watch either the game or the commercials, but of the commercials I've seen since, I like the Babylandia commercial for the Sorento best. Very imaginative.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    JDick said:

From the makers of Pirates of the Carribean might be a selling point to some but I hated those movies (The first one was OK). Hope the story in Lone Ranger is a little more coherent.

Sigh... yeah, I really am.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Just heard back from my guy at the LCS. When I first heard about the promotion I asked if he could skip my DC titles during WTF month. He said no problem.
    Voting with my wallet.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Truck ad was great and I think the truck at the end wasn't exactly in our faces. In fact it looks just right sitting there in front of the farm. Best commercial of the night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sillEgUHGC4

Downton Abbey is addictive(I'm on episode 5 of season one) and I can't blame Pants for switching back and forth during the game.

WOW, I guess only the group of people I watched the Super Bowl with didn't care for this commercial. By the 4th time the voice over talked about the farmer, I started to tune out. I thought the voice over should've been cut down a bit...it sounded too repetitious.

As for Taylor Swift, I can tell you her mother is very controlling of her life. Plus, with all those boyfriends over the years, she either doesn't give it up or she's bad in bed. I guess THAT'S why she writes all those songs about her ex's.

M.
  • Options
    rebis said:

There is nothing wrong with trucks, I had one, I loved it. I miss it. My truck came in very handy countless times.

I thought the commercial was fantastic. I personally was just disappointed when it turned out to be a truck commercial rather than some kind tribute to farmers.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    JDick said:

I saw a long trailer for Lone Ranger before Django Unchained. It looks Will Smith Wild Wild West levels of bad to me. And count me in as another person that didn't care for the Pirates of the Carribean films. Tried watching the first 3 and never make it more than 20 minutes into each one before turning it off.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Matt said:

As for Taylor Swift, I can tell you her mother is very controlling of her life. Plus, with all those boyfriends over the years, she either doesn't give it up or she's bad in bed. I guess THAT'S why she writes all those songs about her ex's.

M.

Hm, just either or? Could be lots of other reasons. Could be that she's just young and doesn't exactly know what she wants yet or picky about what she wants in a boyfriend. Could be that she knows (or her mother knows) what'll keep her in the headlines. And maybe she's realized that some of her best songs come from break-ups. ;) Anyway, yeah...I can see how she might have a mother that's controlling. A lot of folks in the performing industry seem to.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    alienal said:

Matt said:

M.

Hm, just either or? Could be lots of other reasons. Could be that she's just young and doesn't exactly know what she wants yet or picky about what she wants in a boyfriend. Could be that she knows (or her mother knows) what'll keep her in the headlines. And maybe she's realized that some of her best songs come from break-ups. ;) Anyway, yeah...I can see how she might have a mother that's controlling. A lot of folks in the performing industry seem to.
    I'm actually basing my assessment on all the revenge songs she puts out there. If you dump someone, normally you don't slam them for revenge. If you get dumped, however, a revenge song can give you closure.

This could be a case like Jennifer Love Hewitt where her mom controls each aspect of her life, making her too high maintenance.

M
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    edited February 2013
    I hated that Paul Harvey commercial. Just thought it was really weird and went on way too long.
  • Options
    JDick said:

I hated that Paul Harvey commercial. Just thought it was really weird and went on way too long.

The ironic thing about it was that Harvey passed away over the weekend; eerie timing.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

JDick said:

The ironic thing about it was that Harvey passed away over the weekend; eerie timing.
    Paul Harvey passed years ago, not this past weekend
  • Options
    JamieD said:

JDick said:

So he did... in 2009, in fact. Is my face red! I could have sworn I heard a news story that he had died this weekend; obviously, I was mistaken.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

JamieD said:

JDick said:

So he did... in 2009, in fact. Is my face red! I could have sworn I heard a news story that he had died this weekend; obviously, I was mistaken.
    No problem LOL, Charles Shultz was the one that pulled that one off, Died the same day his last strip came out
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

WOW, I guess only the group of people I watched the Super Bowl with didn't care for this commercial. By the 4th time the voice over talked about the farmer, I started to tune out. I thought the voice over should've been cut down a bit...it sounded too repetitious.

I didn't care for it either.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    This was my favorite commercial that I was a little surprised no one mention. It made me tear up a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPG7PcI67dE
  • Options
    Dman said:

This was my favorite commercial that I was a little surprised no one mention. It made me tear up a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPG7PcI67dE

I thought it was the weakest of what I saw. I'm not a sentimentalist.
  • Options

rebis said:

There is nothing wrong with trucks, I had one, I loved it. I miss it. My truck came in very handy countless times.

I thought the commercial was fantastic. I personally was just disappointed when it turned out to be a truck commercial rather than some kind tribute to farmers.
    It was a tribute to farmers paid for by ... what ever the hell motor company bought the time.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

Matt said:

Same here. Nothing against farmers but it seemed to go on for too long. I also was confused what it was supposed to be about. I started wondering if there was some kind of anti-farmer legislation going on that this commerical was combatting. Then I started imagining Sentinels attacking farmers and lost track of the rest of the commerical.
  • Options
    bats00 said:

Matt said:

Same here. Nothing against farmers but it seemed to go on for too long. I also was confused what it was supposed to be about. I started wondering if there was some kind of anti-farmer legislation going on that this commerical was combatting. Then I started imagining Sentinels attacking farmers and lost track of the rest of the commerical.
    LISA: Dad... was that your commercial!?

HOMER (bewildered): I don't know!

(From The Simpsons episode, Mister Plow)