Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1331 Talkback: Off the Racks - Threshold #1, X-Factor #250, Star Wars #1

It's time for another round of Off the Rack reviews as we cover Threshold #1 from DC, X-Factor #250 from Marvel and Star Wars #1 from Dark Horse. We've also got an impassioned rant from Jamie regarding DC's WTF certified books (adult language alert). (1:16:09)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Bring on the Tit, Vag, and Balls issues!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I have to go back and listen to the Pimp's rant again. Just Brilliant.
  • Options
    Here's my "cooked" rant in response to Jamie's...

To preface, I have listened to CGS for 4 years and I love the show and the guys. And yes Jamie's rant was very funny but as of late they are turning into grumpy old men.

First of all, of course its just a promotion, a gimmick to get people to buy more comics. DC is in the business of selling comics. And they will use any idea they feel will bring them more readers and more money. Obviously everyone knows that is what they are trying to do, I'm not saying anything close to revolutionary here but it hasn't even come out yet and the criticism had commenced. The prevailing attitude by Jamie and others is "i'm not falling for it, you can't make me buy it" and that is fine but at least wait for it to come out first to see if it succeeds. Its just nonsensical to base your criticism exclusively on the fact that it is a gimmick considering the industry. Most crossovers unless they originate organically from the writers like Rotworld are gimmicks to get people to buy more comic books, albeit with the hope that they are anchored by a well written story. One could even argue that a creative team change on a book is just a gimmick. I don't want to litter this post with Godfather logic but "its not personal, its business", is the thought process behind changing creators. The publisher wants a better book that sells more.

And since when have the guys become Helen Lovejoy and wanted everyone to think about the children? I don't have children but it seems simple, if you don't want your kids to read comics with curse words then don't buy those comics for your kids. If they want to know what "WTF" stands for just tell them its a phrase used by adults. These days though, I'm sure most kids have already heard various curse words. And we don't know, maybe Murd is correct and DC isn't interested in marketing to children. Actually that is a reasonable assumption to make concerning all of their titles, maybe they are striving to become the darker, gritty company. It certainly makes sense given the story lines currently being written by their premiere talent like Snyder. Batman, without question, is an adult book.

My last point is obviously all of the publishers have ideas, promotions and gimmicks that fall onto various points of the spectrum between exceptional and shit but that certainly won't stop them from trying new ones no matter how seemingly ridiculous. You never know until they actually come out which ones will create meteoric splashes or forgotten ripples. Personally I'm going to give DC the benefit of the doubt considering their current ability to recognize premiere talent. I feel that Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are the best writers the industry has to offer right now and judging by the amount of work DC is handing them it certainly seems like DC is content to rest the company on their shoulders.

The length of this post is obscene. Maybe I'm just a DC apologist or maybe I just wanted to put my dick on the table and give Jamie my middle finger Wolverine style.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited February 2013
    Bring on the tits & vagina issues of Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Catwoman, etc... I will buy them just slap a "For Mature Readers" warning & replace the DC logo w/ a Vertigo one instead and we are done. Seriously though, DC is just completing for its marketshare in a ever growing of competitors. Does it make it right? No, but that is business. I will buy the same 4 issues & that is it. However, if Marvel pulls the "F' you" covers you head it here first from Jamie D. Nice Rant!

Matthew
  • Options
    WTF JAMIE?! haha seriously though, I get why you don't like the wtf brand, I admit it does seem a little strange to put on a book, but I am not really that opposed to it either. I do have to say that I am really excited about the gatefold covers, That I think is a stellar idea. Really looking forward to Brett Booth on Nightwing as well.

P.S. I cracked up when Jamie said they should rebrand "All-Star Fucking Superman"
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    mguy1977 said:

Bring on the tits & vagina issues of Wonder Woman, Power Girl, Catwoman, etc... I will buy them just slap a "For Mature Readers" warning & replace the DC logo w/ a Vertigo one instead and we are done. Seriously though, DC is just completing for its marketshare in a ever growing of competitors. Does it make it right? No, but that is business. I will buy the same 4 issues & that is it. However, if Marvel pulls the "F' you" covers you head it here first from Jamie D. Nice Rant!

Matthew

You sound like one of those "greed is good" Capitalists that you used to rail against. Just as long as they entertain us as cheaply as possible? Is that what we are? With no regard for community?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

To preface, I have listened to CGS for 4 years and I love the show and the guys. And yes Jamie's rant was very funny but as of late they are turning into grumpy old men.

First of all, of course its just a promotion, a gimmick to get people to buy more comics. DC is in the business of selling comics. And they will use any idea they feel will bring them more readers and more money. Obviously everyone knows that is what they are trying to do, I'm not saying anything close to revolutionary here but it hasn't even come out yet and the criticism had commenced. The prevailing attitude by Jamie and others is "i'm not falling for it, you can't make me buy it" and that is fine but at least wait for it to come out first to see if it succeeds. Its just nonsensical to base your criticism exclusively on the fact that it is a gimmick considering the industry. Most crossovers unless they originate organically from the writers like Rotworld are gimmicks to get people to buy more comic books, albeit with the hope that they are anchored by a well written story. One could even argue that a creative team change on a book is just a gimmick. I don't want to litter this post with Godfather logic but "its not personal, its business", is the thought process behind changing creators. The publisher wants a better book that sells more.

And since when have the guys become Helen Lovejoy and wanted everyone to think about the children? I don't have children but it seems simple, if you don't want your kids to read comics with curse words then don't buy those comics for your kids. If they want to know what "WTF" stands for just tell them its a phrase used by adults. These days though, I'm sure most kids have already heard various curse words. And we don't know, maybe Murd is correct and DC isn't interested in marketing to children. Actually that is a reasonable assumption to make concerning all of their titles, maybe they are striving to become the darker, gritty company. It certainly makes sense given the story lines currently being written by their premiere talent like Snyder. Batman, without question, is an adult book.

My last point is obviously all of the publishers have ideas, promotions and gimmicks that fall onto various points of the spectrum between exceptional and shit but that certainly won't stop them from trying new ones no matter how seemingly ridiculous. You never know until they actually come out which ones will create meteoric splashes or forgotten ripples. Personally I'm going to give DC the benefit of the doubt considering their current ability to recognize premiere talent. I feel that Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are the best writers the industry has to offer right now and judging by the amount of work DC is handing them it certainly seems like DC is content to rest the company on their shoulders.

The length of this post is obscene. Maybe I'm just a DC apologist or maybe I just wanted to put my dick on the table and give Jamie my middle finger Wolverine style.

My issue is the use of 'WTF' as the marketing bit. It reeks of using "hip, current slang" to entice readers. It's like when I recently saw a JC Penny commercial and they referred to the store as 'JCP'. Good Morning America is doing the same thing. They are now referred to as 'GMA'. These shortcut terms have me thinking "OMG, go FY!!!"

M
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    @JamieD: =D>

One of your all-time great rants, sir, right up there with wanting to kick John de Lancie in the nuts. It helps that I agree, of course, that this is just a ridiculous attempt to look hip and edgy (and, of course, calling attention to yourself trying to be hip and edgy is the surest way to make sure you are neither), but still, entertaining as hell to listen to.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    edited February 2013
    YIHATA. IDMHI!!!

Translation - Yeah I Hate All These Abbreviations. It Does My Head In!!!

Seriously though I agree with VKMarion, I think the gatefold covers is a good idea. A standard marketing ploy to bring in buyers. The whole wtf is just unnecasary and childish. I'll be picking up only one extra book from DC this month and that's the last DC Universe Presents. Although that's not because of the wtf-effect.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    rebis said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

You sound like one of those "greed is good" Capitalists that you used to rail against. Just as long as they entertain us as cheaply as possible? Is that what we are? With no regard for community?
    I want to be entertained as cheaply as possible. $2.99 please. :p
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

To preface, I have listened to CGS for 4 years and I love the show and the guys. And yes Jamie's rant was very funny but as of late they are turning into grumpy old men

They are grumpy old men. But in fairness, a large portion of the board to include myself are also grumpy old men.
  • Options
    Jamie's rant was great!

Quite correct about the fact that not-knowing what will happen is part of enjoying any story, in any medium.

The WTF initiative will only counter-act against this, like anti-matter.

Literally spoiling the story surprises with a messy cosmic goo of marketing desperation.

I've been enjoying Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Batman, Justice League, Aquaman...

And the H'el on Earth crossover!

Which no one else seems to be enjoying.

Superboy #16 was a brilliant action-filled romp featuring the Justice League as well!

However, the editors at DC seem like they are indecisively floundering about, coming up with these WTF ideas and shoving them into the creators faces.

Interrupting their creative processes, getting in the way of the story-plans.

Editors are supposed to edit what the creators give them, not enforce rigid agendas like a Stalinist committee.

I just hope I can keep enjoying the comic-books that I'm buying from DC...

or else, you know, there's always loads of other stuff to spend my Sterling Dollars on...

(i.e. There's always more Lego Star Wars kits to build...)

• Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    I basically agree with Jamie.

This isn't about being "old" or too sensitive or whatever; this is about taste and good manners (or lack thereof). I read Watchmen when I was 12. I think coarse language (and violence, and sex) can obviously be used to great purpose in literature, art, and advertising of all sorts. But there has to be a point to it. Saying (or indicating) the F-word on all your covers is just poor form. I couldn't believe it when I first saw this news story. I didn't think DC would just be so cavalier about something so "shocking" and petty. It's like they don't even realize how bad it makes them look; all they want is the gimmick.

My specific problem is how DC in particular has gotten so casual with their shock-value gimmickery. Batman is impaled clear through his chest with a serrated blade at the end of one issue... then in the next issue the wound doesn't really even matter. The Joker (who sliced his face off for no apparent reason) has a tapestry of skins sewn together... but it's on the page for one panel and has no real meaning. And everyone can sense how much certain aspects of the New 52 have recalled the grim'n'gritty Image stuff of 20 years ago. Now we have a "WTF" month.

To put all this in context, I think you could say these are all minor things. The world isn't going to end because of them. But things like this are just little incremental upticks of coarseness in culture, and I don't think taking issue with them is necessarily a trait of "old men who don't know any better" or whatever stereotype might come to mind. I'm not religious, but I don't think morality is necessarily a bad thing (as redundant as that is to say; it seems like these days any allusion to morality gets instantly dismissed, and that in and of itself says a lot about how coarse and "kneejerk" we've become). "WTF" month just strikes me as blatantly petty, immoral, wrong, and--above all else--stupid and desperate. When I saw the news I just had to think, "Wow, DC would risk alienating/annoying their readership JUST to put forth something so petty as 'WTF'?" Sure, many kids who will happen to see these covers will probably know what the F-word is, but that doesn't mean we should pander to coarseness and trendy stupidity. Likewise, most 12-year-olds probably know how sex works, but that doesn't mean it'd be okay for tween programming to depict sex acts.

Comics companies have had stupid gimmicks before, sure. But that doesn't justify this one. Precedence of bad behavior doesn't mean that bad behavior is okay.

Oh well. I DO think the gatefold surprise covers will be kinda cool.
  • Options
    1. The Fucking X-Men is possibly the greatest title for a comic I have ever heard.

2. I'm surprised DC aren't putting those musical greeting card gizmos in the covers so when you open them up a voice shouts "What the BEEP?!?"
  • Options
    The whole thing essentially smells of DC throwing their hands up in defeat and saying, "Well, WTF? We can't get significant sales numbers with putting out any quality material anymore, let's just appeal to the Base Lowest Common Denominator by being as base and common as we can get!"
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    rebis said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

No, I'm a leftist Liberal however tits/ass sells, sad but true. I'm no Wall St. conservative but admiring art is a pleasure of society. You put T&A in a Johnny DC and you have major problems w/ community standards so put in a Vertigo book. That is all I'm saying. Today's audience for mainstream Marvel/DC is not 9 & 10 yrs old anymore from 30 years ago it is late 20s/30 males for the most part.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I hope Shane didn't suffer a hernia. One the greatest rants I've heard in a long time.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Put all those Rios rants to shame!
  • Options

Jamie's rant was great!

Quite correct about the fact that not-knowing what will happen is part of enjoying any story, in any medium.

Literally spoiling the story surprises with a messy cosmic goo of marketing desperation.

I've been enjoying Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Batman, Justice League, Aquaman...

Superboy #16 was a brilliant action-filled romp featuring the Justice League as well!

However, the editors at DC seem like they are indecisively floundering about, coming up with these WTF ideas and shoving them into the creators faces.

Editors are supposed to edit what the creators give them, not enforce rigid agendas like a Stalinist committee.

or else, you know, there's always loads of other stuff to spend my Sterling Dollars on...

Dude! Your not alone, I have been loving the H'el on Earth crossover! I have been saying it since the new 52 started that Kenneth Rocafort is one of the three best artist working in the industry, and his move to Superman with Scott Lobdell has made for a really , really awesome comic. This is exactly the Flagship look and feel I think a superman book should have. Haters should give it a chance, Lobdell has been knocking it out of the park with this story.
  • Options
    VKMarion said:

Jamie's rant was great!

Dude! Your not alone, I have been loving the H'el on Earth crossover! I have been saying it since the new 52 started that Kenneth Rocafort is one of the three best artist working in the industry, and his move to Superman with Scott Lobdell has made for a really , really awesome comic. This is exactly the Flagship look and feel I think a superman book should have. Haters should give it a chance, Lobdell has been knocking it out of the park with this story.
    Lobdell and Rocafort's first issue of Superman was my last. While they were better than I'd feared, it still wasn't right. Ever since the new series began, I keep feeling like I'm reading an Imaginary Tale and I'm just waiting for the real Superman series to return. The H'el On Earth story -- what a terrible, cliched title -- was a signal to me that it was time to jump off the book.

• Options
    VKMarion said:

Mr. Lobdell, is that you?

:-h
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Put all those Rios rants to shame!

Lets not go overboard.

I have been a listener for years and recently reread DCs Wed. Comics. Does anyone remember the episode where Peter played back another podcast talking shit on CGS over Wed. Comics? I wish I knew what episode that was.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

VKMarion said:

Mr. Lobdell, is that you?

:-h
    no, i just really like the book, i like a lot of the new 52 actually, sorry just expressing positive opinion
  • Options
    VKMarion said:

no, i just really like the book, i like a lot of the new 52 actually, sorry just expressing positive opinion

@VKMarion

Hey! Nothing to be sorry about! I was just having a little bit of fun. :)

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    Greg said:

I hope Shane didn't suffer a hernia. One the greatest rants I've heard in a long time.

Haha, no nothing like that. There are times, especially when I have a bad day at work, when I find something funny and start laughing I just can't stop.

I love when I get a good Muttley laugh going.
  • Options
    Just started listening to this episode and wanted to thank @JamieD for his opening rant. He said everything that came to my mind when I first saw the WTF bullshit. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

chris
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Just started listening to this episode and wanted to thank @JamieD for his opening rant. He said everything that came to my mind when I first saw the WTF bullshit. Thank you, sir. Thank you.

chris

You are welcome my friend
  • Options
    I'm surprised Marc Maron hasn't launched a suit against DC for branding.

Anyway, this "WTF Branded" gimmick that DC is doing for April's books is just that: a gimmick. Is this going to boost sales of those books that aren't selling well? Not all, but maybe a few. I'm only hoping this doesn't hurt the books that are telling good stories for the sake of going along with the sales gimmick.

I personally don't think it's a good gimmick, but we live in an age in the industry where only money matters. To your complaint, Jamie, good stories don't matter at DC Comics anymore. Unless your name is Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Grant Morrison, or Jeff Lemiere, your story has to correlate with the plot points that are set in stone by the DC hierarchy. If the story doesn't, then you're off the book. They'll still take a look at other pitches for other characters, but they have to be in line with what DC wants. I could go on and on with my rant about how DC has changed and not for the better, but that could take a long, long time to go through.
  • Options
    Big_Daddy_SummersBig_Daddy_Summers Posts: 84
    edited February 2013
    As an aside, a lot of the star Wars scenes you spoke about that were cut are extra on the Sith dvd, Mon Mothra, Bail Organa etc...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGJTiyvd90