Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie Club thought

I've been thinking about this for a while and I want to get peoples thoughts. I think it would be neat if we had a movie club. For instance, I'm watching The Dark Knight Returns part 1 for the first time. I think it would be neat if we chose a movie of the month and everyone who was interested tried to watch it for the first time, or watch it again if they've already seen it, and then we talk about.

It'd probably work best if we chose several movies in advance, as an example Captain America for March, Batman (tim burton) for April, Dark Knight Rises for May... or whatever.

Anyway, just a thought, but I think it would be neat to get group discussions going about movies that have already come out, as opposed to always looking ahead to whatever the next big release is. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Excellent idea, I'm game.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Greg said:

Excellent idea, I'm game.

Oh ok cool, thanks. I feel if its gonna get done it'll have to have someone be the leader, to give it some direction. Hopefully a few others will respond saying they are interested.

Do you have any ideas for movies you'd like to talk about in greater detail with people on the forums. I don't think they all have to be "comic" movies, but I think general sci/fi and fantasy genre movies could be included as well. For instance, Star Trek yes... Fast and the Furious no. Even though I love fast and the furious.
  • Options
    I'm open to just about any genre except horror, I don't want to rule out any genres and I agree that every movie doesn't have to be based on a comic. I'm game for mixing it up. Even if somebody suggested a documentary, I'd be fine with that as long as the subject matter was anything too touchy.

When choosing movies we should take into consideration its availability. We have more outlets than ever so that shouldn't be a real problem but it is something that we might have to deal with at some point.

Suggestions you might get from me are some of the cheesey but fun fantasy/sci-fi movies of the 80's like Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer and Ice Pirates. I also love the samurai films of the 60's, martial arts films and full length animated movies, especially anime. But that is not at all what I limit myself to.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Sign me up. Beastmaster yes.... Fast and Furious 6 no.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I'd be happy to share my thoughts. And am happy to go along with any movie anybody picks.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:

I'm open to just about any genre except horror, I don't want to rule out any genres and I agree that every movie doesn't have to be based on a comic. I'm game for mixing it up. Even if somebody suggested a documentary, I'd be fine with that as long as the subject matter was anything too touchy.

When choosing movies we should take into consideration its availability. We have more outlets than ever so that shouldn't be a real problem but it is something that we might have to deal with at some point.

Suggestions you might get from me are some of the cheesey but fun fantasy/sci-fi movies of the 80's like Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer and Ice Pirates. I also love the samurai films of the 60's, martial arts films and full length animated movies, especially anime. But that is not at all what I limit myself to.

I love 80s era Conan the Barbarian rip off films. Been collecting them on DVD. Even tracking down dvd-r copies of lots of the ones that haven't been released to DVD. Stuff like Gor,Yor and many others.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

I love 80s era Conan the Barbarian rip off films. Been collecting them on DVD. Even tracking down dvd-r copies of lots of the ones that haven't been released to DVD. Stuff like Gor,Yor and many others.

As I said Beastmaster yes.

• Options
    hmmmmmm..... all good points. i might try to think of a list today. ttyl
  • Options
    So im thinking in March Ill start the club topic and the first movie will be the animated Dark Knight Returns, volume 1 and 2. For one thing, i feel like interest is high on the boards for that and its availability is high. For April Im thinking Ghost in the Machine.

Please send me ideas, either here or in private. Thanks
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Greg said:

Awww, no Freddy vs Jason? :p

• Options
    shroud68 said:

dubbat138 said:

Greg said:

As I said Beastmaster yes.

Beastmaster is great. So happy it finally got rereleased to DVD last year.

• Options
    Planeis said:

So im thinking in March Ill start the club topic and the first movie will be the animated Dark Knight Returns, volume 1 and 2. For one thing, i feel like interest is high on the boards for that and its availability is high. For April Im thinking Ghost in the Machine.

Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2 works for me.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Planeis said:

Dark Knight Returns 1 and 2 works for me.
    Me too.
  • Options
  • Options
    Dark knight returns 1 and 2 works
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited February 2013
    can only play along if I "borrow" it - as it is not yet released over here

doing it :-\"
  • Options
    Hey again. To review, Dark Knight 1 and 2 for March, Ghost in the Machine for April. I'm also thinking Inglourious Basterds for May. Maybe Iron Sky for June. Anybody seen Iron Sky? Its kind of a foreign B movie about Nazis on the moon.... Its incredible... And its available on Netflix Instant now.

Anyway, for anyone just reading this thread and wondering why I am seperating this from the Netflix thread, its because I would like to get a longterm discussion on one movie that everyone who is interested tries to watch and discuss at the same time. The Netflix thread is awesome, but its used much differently.
  • Options
    Awesome! I'll report back about Dark Knight 1 and 2 in March.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Hey again. To review, Dark Knight 1 and 2 for March, Ghost in the Machine for April. I'm also thinking Inglourious Basterds for May. Maybe Iron Sky for June. Anybody seen Iron Sky? Its kind of a foreign B movie about Nazis on the moon.... Its incredible... And its available on Netflix Instant now.

Anyway, for anyone just reading this thread and wondering why I am seperating this from the Netflix thread, its because I would like to get a longterm discussion on one movie that everyone who is interested tries to watch and discuss at the same time. The Netflix thread is awesome, but its used much differently.

Saw Iron Skys last year. Was fun but needed some editing for pace issues.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Great idea every one. Movie club is a good one. I'm in. First movie is Norbit... Right???
  • Options
    Here.... We.... Go! Whats everyone think of dark knight returns. Warning! spoilers will run rampent!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I can watch this movie anytime it's on. Joker and Dent make the movie for me.
  • Options

I can watch this movie anytime it's on. Joker and Dent make the movie for me.

Dark Knight Returns? The cartoon?
  • Options
    I've only managed to see part 1. I was impressed with how faithful it was to the original work, with many iconic images referenced straight from the comic. Sometimes the animation enhances the story, particularly the fight between Batman and the Mutant leader. The scene with the General is conveyed more effectively in the comic, with that beautiful full page image of Batman holding the dead General in his arms. I like the backgound design, with Gotham represented in big blocky Art Deco shapes. I was disapointed with the character design. It lacked the ragged energy you got with Miller and Jansons art work. All in all though, a decent watch. I'm looking forward to seeing part two.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Much of the startling imagery (and the startling right wing politics) of the comics has been dropped for the animated version.
    Also not sure about Peter Weller's vocals. In particular the scene in part 2 where Batman rallies the Mutants to save the burning Gotham city seemed weak, especially as Weller chose to let his voice go up in pitch instead of the deep baritone we all assume Batman has.
  • Options
    I did miss the vocals of Batman the animated series... but what are you going to do?

After watching Superman: Doomsday I was expecting this to be like that, meaning not very faithful at all and generally terrible. But this was pretty darn faithful.
  • Options
    C'mon people, its March, lets get our movie talk on.

Watching part 2 again, a couple things stand out as being incongruous. I know, they are adapting a comic thats been around a long time. But now that we've seen Batman Beyond and the Nolan movies, having a 60+ year old Batman who runs around with no body armor whatsoever stood out as being ridiciulous. I mean, Batman gets thousands of bullets thrown his way in the cartoon, bodies dropping all around him, explosions everywhere... and he has no protection at all. Just an old guy getting shot and stabbed all over the place.

Also, again, in terms of the story. The whole "Well, Batman's a murderer now... so he's evil and has to be stopped" Just doesn't make sense. If a private citizen was being attacked by the Joker, after the Joker had just killed dozens... he'd be hailed as a hero. Even if they killed Joker. Killing someone in self defense when you're being attacked by a murderer isn't murder. Its just not. Not morally or legally.
  • Options
    I loved both parts. But then I find the source material to be one of the best comics I have read. My only complaint is the inner monologues are missing and there is some great stuff in them. The animation and voice acting was well done. And I was surprised at how closely they followed the comics.
  • Options
    I was a little dissapointed in the animation.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited March 2013
    The movie(s) bored me to death. I find them rather soulless. The pacing is off. The score way too pathetic. The animation mediocre.
    The movie playing in my mind while reading the book was way more glorious. They shouldn't have tried to make it so damn close to the book. It can never live up to peoples mind-flics. Why not add some twists, take some risks and just keep the basic structure of the story and create something fresh around it. Or maybe the movie version is intended for those too lazy to read the comic?

In short : this movie is to the comic like a audiobook to a ...well.....book - no pressing reasons to consume both.