Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Board/Card games thread...

I tried to see if something like this already existed, and couldn't find it, so here we go :)

Anybody else into board/card games? I used to be (played a lot of Heroclix, Munchkins, and Role Playing Games), and am getting back into them.

I was looking into the DC and Marvel Deck Building games (Marvel's is specifically called "Legendary"). They looked cool, but when reading the reviews, the game "Sentinels of the Multiverse" kept coming up. Every time it was said that, as good as the Marvel and DC games were, "Sentinels" is even better. So I ordered it. It should be arriving next week. :)

Anyone else ever play it?

I'm also thinking of getting the "Nightfall" app for my iPad. It's a port of a popular card game. The app is only $3. Figure it's a good way to try it out for much cheaper than the physical copy ($30-40). Anybody ever play this one, or recommend it?

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    We have a closet full of games that we've got while at Gen Con in years past. they hardly ever get played.

I bought the Skullkickers booster pack for Munchkin, still waiting to put it to use.

I used to play a ton of card games, haven't tried any of the deck building games. Privateer Press has one coming out called High Command. It's due out late spring (iirc) and I'm definitely picking it up. It's based on their core games Warmachine and Hordes collectively called Iron Kingdoms. If you like yourself a nice mash-up of fantasy and steampunk it'll be worth your time.
  • Options

I was looking into the DC and Marvel Deck Building games (Marvel's is specifically called "Legendary"). They looked cool, but when reading the reviews, the game "Sentinels of the Multiverse" kept coming up. Every time it was said that, as good as the Marvel and DC games were, "Sentinels" is even better. So I ordered it. It should be arriving next week. :)

I'm also thinking of getting the "Nightfall" app for my iPad. It's a port of a popular card game. The app is only $3. Figure it's a good way to try it out for much cheaper than the physical copy ($30-40). Anybody ever play this one, or recommend it?

I could have sworn there was already a thread dealing with this, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is awesome! It's one of my favorite games and way better then Legendary. I haven't played the DC one, but it looked to be EXACTLY like Penny Arcade.

You get a far better comic book feel in Sentinels then in Legendary. Plus, the artwork is top notch and every villain and hero feels different. It's an awesome game!

I have Nightfall for my iPod. I don't think it's as popular compared to other deck building games. It's OK though. I really like the chaining mechanic, but everything else is kind of meh. Personally, I'd wait for a sale to get it or better yet, get Ascension, which is also awesome, and there are far more players for it then Nightfall.

• Options
    Hellsfire said:

I could have sworn there was already a thread dealing with this, but I'm too lazy to look for it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is awesome! It's one of my favorite games and way better then Legendary. I haven't played the DC one, but it looked to be EXACTLY like Penny Arcade.

You get a far better comic book feel in Sentinels then in Legendary. Plus, the artwork is top notch and every villain and hero feels different. It's an awesome game!

I have Nightfall for my iPod. I don't think it's as popular compared to other deck building games. It's OK though. I really like the chaining mechanic, but everything else is kind of meh. Personally, I'd wait for a sale to get it or better yet, get Ascension, which is also awesome, and there are far more players for it then Nightfall.

Cool, I'm excited to get Sentinels! IT STILL HASN'T SHIPPED!!

I'm getting bored of Ascension. Feels too repetitive. Maybe I've just been playing it too long, or I'm missing out on the strategy. Or maybe the computer's just too easy. A friend highly recommended Nightfall, but sounds like you like Ascension better. I wonder if that means I'll like Nightfall even LESS than Ascension?
  • Options

Cool, I'm excited to get Sentinels! IT STILL HASN'T SHIPPED!!

I'm getting bored of Ascension. Feels too repetitive. Maybe I've just been playing it too long, or I'm missing out on the strategy. Or maybe the computer's just too easy. A friend highly recommended Nightfall, but sounds like you like Ascension better. I wonder if that means I'll like Nightfall even LESS than Ascension?

I can see Ascension getting boring if you just play the computer. Nightfall and Ascension while both deck building games are drastically different. Just because I like one more than the other doesn't mean you won't have a different opinion.
  • Options
    I got Sentinels of the Multiverse. LOVE IT!!