Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Green Arrow #17- New creative team of Lemire and Sorrentino (spoilers)

There is a lot of talk about DC in general right now (and nothing wrong with that) but I wanted to see if anyone else read one book in particular this week- Green Arrow #17, featuring the new creative team of Lemire and Sorrentino.

As a longtime Green Arrow fan, I have been bummed to not have a Green Arrow title I can enjoy for years now. I guess the end of the Winick era was the last time I had a GA I enjoyed. But based on this week's GA #17, I've got some hope. It was definitely a transiton issue- a lot of tearing down, clearing away, and literally blowing up what has come before. In that way it reminds me of Moore's Swamp Thing #20. Not in terms of overall quality, but in the sense that this issue was all about tying up loose ends and setting up a new era. And I don't mind what is being jettisoned. I only read the first two issues of the New 52 Green Arrow, which I thought was terrible, and really showed the strain of trying to set a young Oliver up as a brash Tony Stark technologist type. So the fact that this issue removes the wealth, supporting team, company, and sends Oliver on the run sounds good to me.

And the art is great. I remember enjoying Andrea Sorrentino on I, Vampire #1 (though I didn't stick with it), but I am really impressed with him here. And more and more I am enjoying artists who also do their own color art. There is a real voice to Sorrentino's work. Oliver is mostly reacting and on the run in this issue, so character-wise there is not a lot to dig into here. But as Lemire leaves us with a new mentor figure, and a mysterious need to 'return to the island', I am hoping that this team can give Ollie more of a personality that has been on display for awhile.

I thought it was a strong start. Looking forward to #18.

Anyone else give this a try?

Comments

• Options
    I'm giving it a 'wait and see' at this point. If Lemire doesn't introduce a 'Court Of Owls' type organization to the series, I might try it.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited February 2013
    Coincidentally I just read a positive review on iFanboy (Pick of the week). Since I like the TV show so much why not give this a chance. Also didn't care much for the first issues. But Lemire and Sorrentino deserve a try.

Will wait for comiXology to drop the price though - so it will be a month...
  • Options
    I stopped ordering GA after issue 13 and Jeff Lemire writing did get me to order it ...can't wait to give 17 a read
  • Options
    I'm afraid Jeff Lemire just isn't a draw for me, though anything would be an improvement over Ann Nocenti. I haven't been favorably impressed by either his Swamp Thing/Animal Man Rotworld miasma nor by his work on Batman. His stories drag on and on (just to name one fault). This is a book that I want to like and buy, but can't bring myself to do so. If he brings back Ollie's ultra-liberal Robin Hood persona, I might pick it up. Otherwise...

Well, we'll wait and see.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

I'm afraid Jeff Lemire just isn't a draw for me, though anything would be an improvement over Ann Nocenti. I haven't been favorably impressed by either his Swamp Thing/Animal Man Rotworld miasma nor by his work on Batman. His stories drag on and on (just to name one fault). This is a book that I want to like and buy, but can't bring myself to do so. If he brings back Ollie's ultra-liberal Robin Hood persona, I might pick it up. Otherwise...

Well, we'll wait and see.

His work on Batman? Are you sure you are not combining Lemire and Snyder? I only ask because I think Lemire has only written one short story for Batman, a 12 or so page digital first issue of Legends of the Dark Knight; and he hasn't written any Swamp Thing (other than ST appearances in Animal Man).

I do think that Lemire's cartooning work on his own stories (eg Sweet Tooth, Essex County) is stronger than his writing for the DCU has been (though I don't think it is bad and have enjoyed it more than you have). I do think/agree that the story in Animal Man was too slow-paced, and that is why I finally dropped it. My hope is that, at least to judge from the momentum in this first issue, that Green Arrow will move along faster.
  • Options
    You're right -- I am confusing Lemire with Snyder. Which, by itself, says something.
  • Options
    I've red it, not a big fan of the art (But I see, that people might like it, I just want clear lines, that look comicbooky). Story was nice, but not nice enough to make it into my tight budget. It had some cool moments, but I wasn't too hyped by it.
  • Options
    I have never really read GA, but I bought it because of Lemire. I like where he is taking the story. Basically, he's gone ahead and reset everything that has been done and now he is going to tell his own story. What really surprised and impressed me was the art and the action and movement in the fight scenes. I haven't seen the script, so I'm not sure if it was from the writing or if Sorrentino just "ran-with-it". In either case, I am looking forward to #18 and where the story is going.

@tankong on twitter
  • Options
    Robot_PorterRobot_Porter Posts: 11
    edited February 2013
    I agree with the OP, this feels more like a proper Green Arrow comic. Nice clearing fo the decks from Lemire. And love the art.

The Grell GA run remains my favorite. So anything that veers toward that stripped down approach gets my support. Initially at least.

It feels good to be liking GA again. I hope this feeling continues.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    So it's a good time to jump in? I gave up on Arrow after the first few issues.
  • Options
    I agree the 'house cleaning' was necessary as the previous writers had left quite a bit of clutter. Lemire has pointed GA in an interesting direction. The art however is so far out of my wheelhouse I want to call it negatives distasteful names, I realize that it is my preference and not perhaps the art itself so I will refrain. I can only hope the artist leaves soon and I have a chance to fully immerse myself in the book. I am a GA fan http://www.comicbooknoise.com/emeraldarcher/ as is my son.
  • Options
    So it's a good time to jump in? I gave up on Arrow after the first few issues.
    Yup, definitely a good jumping on point. Decks are cleared. New direction. New supporting cast. The whole nine.

Don't quite understand the complaints about the art. GA is best when it's noirish. And this art is very noirish.
  • Options
    I miss Dick Dillin's Green Arrow.