Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    The Lanterncast guys were just talking about this as a possibilty.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I know a lot of people have been down on the current stuff, but for me this has been the best run on GL. Everytime I think I'm getting tired of the book Johns reinvigorated me. He will be missed, but after almost a decade I guess it's time.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    The only GL I know was written by him. The only run I've read.
  • Options

agreed. I do wonder what will happen now..

• Options

At first I was going to write something like "it's about time". However, reading the article, he's done a lot for the GL universe and told a lot of great stories. I've been on and off of reading the GL titles, but he has been the only author I have read. I pretty much jumped off with the new 52, when they basically just continued his story line. I may go back and get the back issues to see how the story has evolved. In any case, maybe it's time for someone new to come in and take over and tell some new stories. Imagine, if Johns had not gotten the chance 10 years ago, all the stories we may have missed.

@tankong on twitter

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    He's had the best run on GL that I've ever read.

I'm certainly fine with this. Let someone else play in this sandbox.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    All good things....
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    $7.99 for his farewell issue? I've really enjoyed his run on the book as well, but that's pretty pricey.
  • Options
    I'm mixed on Johns. But he really had a handle of GL. It was a great run. Especially during the first few years. His Aquaman run comes close.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Johns got me back into GL. I think its time though. I think he probably shouldve left with War of the Lanterns. This 3rd army deal is lifeless and seems like rehashing and I havnt gotten the impression his heart has really been in it for a while. I also think hes spread to thin to really give much his full attention.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited February 2013
    And it's not just Johns stepping down either -- all of the GL writers are leaving their respective books at the same time, even Milligan on Red Lanterns.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    edited February 2013
    The giant sized GL ends with Wally bringing Pre-52 Hal across the Pandora Flashpoint and into the New 52... :O)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    ALL the creative teams of the Green Lantern family of books changing at once seems a little heavy-handed. And, unfortunately, seems to be in keeping with how talent management has been handled in the New 52 era.

I stopped reading Green Lantern with Blackest Night (though I tried the New 52 Green Lantern #1, and was not hooked to come back to it). From what I have heard from some, it sounds like Johns would have gone out strongest if he left after Blackest Night.

Of course, once the Green Lantern movie was on the horizon, and as WB hoped that would, Iron Man-like, start building the DC Universe of movies, I can understand why they wanted Johns to stay and specifically manage that book (especially considering his position, as I understand it, also has something to do with liaising with the movie side).

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    David_D said:

I stopped reading Green Lantern with Blackest Night (though I tried the New 52 Green Lantern #1, and was not hooked to come back to it).

That was exactly me! and then every other DC title I was getting withered away as well.
    David_D said:

Of course, once the Green Lantern movie was on the horizon, and as WB hoped that would, Iron Man-like, start building the DC Universe of movies...

During the lead up the movie release, I kept telling anyone that would listen that GL was going to be DC's IronMan. Too bad the movie was terrible.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I know the main GL title sells well but what about the rest of the lantern books?
    With all the writers leaving the books to include the main architect of the universe for almost a decade, does anyone think that DC might cancel one or more of the titles.
  • Options

I know the main GL title sells well but what about the rest of the lantern books?
    With all the writers leaving the books to include the main architect of the universe for almost a decade, does anyone think that DC might cancel one or more of the titles.

The main GL book has been selling quite well, and, I believe, the rest of the books have been doing at least moderately well. Good enough that none are in danger of being cancelled at this stage.

With a change of writers for the entire franchise, however, that situation could suddenly shift.

Since they are getting new writers, though, I would recommend they draft Jim Starlin on board as the new master of the GL books.
  • Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    David_D said:

ALL the creative teams of the Green Lantern family of books changing at once seems a little heavy-handed. And, unfortunately, seems to be in keeping with how talent management has been handled in the New 52 era.

I stopped reading Green Lantern with Blackest Night (though I tried the New 52 Green Lantern #1, and was not hooked to come back to it). From what I have heard from some, it sounds like Johns would have gone out strongest if he left after Blackest Night.

Of course, once the Green Lantern movie was on the horizon, and as WB hoped that would, Iron Man-like, start building the DC Universe of movies, I can understand why they wanted Johns to stay and specifically manage that book (especially considering his position, as I understand it, also has something to do with liaising with the movie side).

I felt pretty Lanterned out by the end of Blackest Night. I stuck it out for a few issues of the New52, but saw that I was STILL all Lanterned out. There were just an awful lot of power rings hanging about, and much like I dropped watching CSI after there were so many flavors of it, so went Green Lantern et al.

That said, 10 years is an impressive run on a book by any measure, and he certainly did lots to raise GL's profile.
  • Options
    I am very grateful for the Johns run...he brought back Hal Jordan, built the GL mythos and made the character one of the top characters at DC, which is impressive, since the whole "Emerald Twilight" mess in the 90's killed off a lot of the interest in the character.

I think he's stayed a bit too long, and the current crossover has NOT been a very good story, to my mind, and feels very much like a re-run, but he has shown he can do BIG stories well and literally revived the franchise.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm sure we'll get that Evil Star story in Issue #200.

Along with Krypto vs Rage Kitty.