Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1336 Talkback: Comic Talk: Batman #17 and New Avengers #3

After Pants tells of his recent trip to NYC for Toy Fair and a 'Late Show' taping, we discuss (spoilers) Batman #17 and New Avengers #3. And with no added charge we also throw in some TV talk on the recent Arrow episode 'The Odyssey'. (1:06:14)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Jamie, you're making me cry with your Death of the Family/Cats in the Cradle explanation.
  • Options
    So it only take a few months for your face to grow back on your head and be good to go? ;)
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited February 2013
    I'd like it if the presumptive status quo of Bruce being alienated from the rest of the "family" lasted for a while, but I just don't think it will. Moreover, I don't really see how it was seeded in the New 52 continuity that every other Gotham hero was a trusting "soldier" of Bruce's before this. Damian and Bruce were often bickering back and forth. Nightwing argued and second-guessed Bruce all throughout Snyder's first arc on the title, to the point that Bruce punched him in the mouth. Everyone knew that Bruce severely underestimated the Court of Owls, so even if you don't go back to the old continuity, the heroes here were very much aware that Bruce wasn't perfect.

That said, I think "Death of the Family" was an okay story with a neat atmosphere and damn great art. I liked the lead-up and the first three parts much more than the last two issues, though. If nothing else, however, Snyder's stories really get people excited and get them talking. Even though I think his run has been more inconsistent than most people do, I still very much look forward to every issue because I know that SOMETHING exciting and noteworthy is going to be happening.

And all things considered, I DO think that the ending of Batman #17 was a satisfying ending FOR THAT STORYLINE. But in the "big picture" I just don't think it's satisfying for something that was SO hyped up. Damian and Bruce and Alfred are already back to being REALLY close with each other in Batman & Robin #17 (which is set post-DotF), and Bruce and Dick are shown together on the cover of an upcoming issue of Nightwing. It's worth noting that Bruce's deceit (regarding the Joker possibly having been in the cave, etc.) wasn't something inherent in the character but was rather a sort of retcon that Snyder just created out of nowhere. Like the supposedly ancient Court of Owls, this is a bit of continuity that was created out of nothing -- it happened a long time ago because Scott Snyder suddenly writes that it happened a long time ago. And these story ideas are still cool, don't get me wrong, but they always feel somewhat artificial.

The "family" has had bigger problems before and have recovered very quickly. There's no reason to assume this will be any different. It's all basically going to amount to the Bat-Family ignoring Bruce's call once or twice, tops. So, put it this way: I had a lot of parties with my group of friends during college. One time we had a party and only myself and one other guy could show up. When that happened I didn't freak out and start screaming about "The Death of the Friends!" or anything. So what I'm saying is that I think this "Death of the Family" thing was just a bit too overdramatic and, at times, pretentious. Still a fun story, but... not as substantive as it might seem at first glance.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    edited February 2013
    Pimp mentioned the different takes that various artists had on Joker. Patrick Gleason's work in Batman & Robin stood out. Joker's face had a real feeling of flabby, greasy, weight.
    Capullo's Joker was creepy. Gleason's was just nasty.

I still have the same problem with the main Batman title. Perhaps it's just the grumpy old man that I've become, but I'm still wondering how I could give this book to a kid. My youngest is 14. I'm not sure he could handle this.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    @Pants, I've been wondering this for a while - what's your typical routine for getting in to seeing Letterman? I've never been to a TV taping of any kind, but it's always been my understanding that there's a huge line of people and only so many get in, right? I remember seeing the episode during the Blizzard of '96 where the theater was almost empty so they let in the entire stand-by line (which still didn't fill the theater). Are there actual tickets involved, and does having a ticket even guarantee getting into the show, or maybe there are levels (i.e., this kind of ticket means you're in, this other kind gets you in if there's enough space, etc.)?

If there's a lot of waiting involved, I assume your tendency to get to things early really pays off. Is maybe this where that behavior began?
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    My routine for the last several years is pretty simple. Per the Late Show ticket page you can visit the theater and submit an in-person ticket request. I arrive at the theater around 10am and fill out the form and try to get a ticket for the taping later that day. There's a brief interview with an audience coordinator where I tell express to them how genuinely enthusiastic I am to be there and want to attend the show. They put everyone's name in a lottery and if chosen will give a call back shortly afterward. I've gotten in every time I've done this.