Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1339 Talkback: Spotlight on The Avengers in the Silver Age

We're giving the Avengers the CGS spotlight treatment in honor of their fifty-year anniversary, starting with the Silver Age. Prepare yourselves for vile villains, rapid roster revisions, and many other twists and turns in the early careers of Earth's Mightiest Heroes! Chris Eberle from Wild Pig Comics joins us to navigate us through this time in the team's history. Avengers Assemble! (1:54:30)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    Oh... Nice! Can't wait to listen to this one, and more to look forward to this year!
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited February 2013
    A great episode that brightens an otherwise crappy day. Thanks guys & looking forward to more soon.

Matthew

PS
    Any updates on Legends part 2 yet Jamie D.?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited February 2013
    I think, so don't quote me on it, that the battle cry of Avengers Assemble was first used in issue #10. Again I might be wrong, so if somebody has a more accurate answer please correct me if I am.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Love these episodes. Though Chris did sound a little under the weather
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Still in the process of listening to this (about halfway through at the moment), but I'm loving every minute.

Like Jamie, I'm a longtime Avengers fan. I'm not currently buying Avengers books, primarily due to the fact that there are SO many right now, coupled with my unwillingness to pay $3.99 for a comic. But they remain first and foremost my favorite collection of characters.

Quite looking forward to the remainder of the episode as my day progresses.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm still making my way through this, too, and will have more thoughts to share when I'm done, but I do want to say that if you haven't seen the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon, watch it! Both seasons are streaming on Netflix right now and, for my money, it's the best Marvel cartoon ever. It is to Marvel cartoons what Justice League Unlimited was to DC cartoons. I don't make that comparison lightly, because I loves me some JLU.
  • Options
    Thor_El said:

Still in the process of listening to this (about halfway through at the moment), but I'm loving every minute.

Like Jamie, I'm a longtime Avengers fan. I'm not currently buying Avengers books, primarily due to the fact that there are SO many right now, coupled with my unwillingness to pay $3.99 for a comic. But they remain first and foremost my favorite collection of characters.

Quite looking forward to the remainder of the episode as my day progresses.

I'm actually quite the opposite: I'm currently getting all of the Avengers titles -- but that doesn't leave me much for any other Marvel titles. Either way, I think Marvel is hurting themselves with so many titles dedicated to one character or group.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited February 2013
    Just finished listening to the podcast. One of my all-time favorite teams, and I daresay that I'm one of the very few here who can boast of actually having read the first issue right off the spinner rack when it was first released. Where has the time gone? A couple of questions were posed that I wanted to answer:

Roy Thomas did a lot of world building, but two things he did not add were Avengers Mansion or Jarvis the Butler. The mansion was introduced in issue #2 (though Thomas may have been the first to actually name it 'Avengers Mansion') as the setting for the team's HQ. Jarvis was first introduced in the Captain America stories in Tales Of Suspense and then transferred to the Avengers book by Thomas; initially, he was seen attending to Cap shortly after Cap had moved into the Mansion. Initial credit for both go to Lee and Kirby. Thomas, however, did flesh them out much more fully.

Hercules spent a year or so with the team, but wasn't made a member until Avengers Annual #1. (Or Avengers Special #1, whatever they were calling it at that time.) He left the team soon after to return to Olympus.

Hank Pym's nervous breakdowns actually began before his 'Yellowjacket' episode, harking all the way back to his early days as Ant-Man. In fact, the backstory was told during the Wasp's first appearance: he had been previously married and his first wife was kidnapped and killed behind the Iron Curtain -- that resulted in his first breakdown, before he ever developed Pym Particles and became Ant-Man, setting up the condition and pattern for years to come.

Half of the team inductees during that period were pretty short-termed for one reason or another: Hercules, as noted, left almost as soon as he was formally made a member; Wonder Man betrayed the team and then was killed (but he would get better much later on); the Swordsman betrayed the team and got away (though he would reform, also much later); Black Knight joined, but only actively participated in a few random stories.

I'm surprised that Cornelius Van Lunt and the Zodiac cartel didn't get a mention -- but maybe I'm misremembering and they came around during the next period.

The Harlan Ellison story was actually the first of a two-parter; the conclusion was in that month's Hulk and first introduced the Hulk's first, true love... Jarella.

I'm also surprised that no one noted that the Avengers also had a brief period of being undermanned for a very few issues, where the team consisted of only Hawkeye, Goliath and the Wasp. Smallest team ever.

And for other media during this period: the first Avengers prose novel was released -- The Avengers Battle The Earth-Wrecker by famed comics scribe Otto Binder, released by Bantam Books. Featured team members were Captain America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Goliath and the Wasp.
  • Options
    PrilloPrillo Posts: 23
    Loved the episode. Thinking back, I also cannot remember when first I started reading Avengers. One thing I definitely remember though is when the Masters of Evil went on a terror thru Avengers mansion. Mostly on account of the beating Jar is got. That butler is so awesome. I even recall a recent story in some issue (I read about a years worth of a title...my pile isn't quite as large as Murd's) and Jarvis noticed Thor landing and asked him if he would like a mead. Like who else would have mead ready for the god of Thunder? I am waiting for him to ask Spidey if he would like some wheat cakes. Lol
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Yay! I love me some Avengers, too! My first issue was that John Buscema first issue #41 and I haven't look back since! That first run of J.Buscema issues (41-62, except for a couple of fill-ins) just enthralled me and just loved seeing Red Guardian, Masters of Evil, Ultron, Black Panther, Black Knight, Vizh, and just how all their stories were kinda interwoven. Oh, I also liked Chuck Melville's forum comment:

Just finished listening to the podcast. I'm surprised that Cornelius Van Lunt and the Zodiac cartel didn't get a mention -- but maybe I'm misremembering and they came around during the next period.

@Chuck_Melville: Yes, sir Chuck: I believe Van Lunt was involved in the Red Wolf story line that kinda started in 77 and then went into 80 to 81...I guess he was Taurus, but all that was just kind of a follow-up to issue 72 when Scorpio and the whole Zodiac showed up.

I also loved that "undermanned period!" Goliath, Wasp, and Hawkeye were acting all sullen and pissed off at each other cuz Quicksilver and Wanda had run off with Magneto and Cap wasn't around...but things all started getting back together when T'Challa showed up.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210
    mguy1977 said:

A great episode that brightens an otherwise crappy day. Thanks guys & looking forward to more soon.

Matthew

PS
    Any updates on Legends part 2 yet Jamie D.?

LOL you are killing me, This month if I can fit it in my schedule, thats a promise
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited March 2013
    Here's a stat I would love to see. How many heroes were Avengers from originals to and including New Avengers (vol 1) and how many since the explosion?

I guess you can see the Avengers two ways. My view is no more than one or two teams because they are the elite of the elite. Or more Avengers is always a good thing.

Looking forward to finishing the episode. And the X-men too?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Loved the episode guys, my favorite superhero team is the Avengers. I got into comics because of the Marvel cartoons of the 60's and so when I when I found out that Cap, Iron Man and Thor were on the same team I was hooked. I have been slowing filling the gaps in my Avengers collection and I've been grabbing the Essentials and Masterworks.

I can't remember what my first Avengers issue was, one the earliest issues I have any memory of is #152 so that could be the first and it is one of my favorite covers, Black Talon raising up Wonder Man in a swamp with Avengers in the background.

There are a lot of villians and allies from this period that got more page time through the years. I love Kang and Ultron but I always thought Grim Reaper was greatly under used and I always thought Red Wolf would have made a good addition to the team.

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Pretty sure I discovered the Avengers in the pages of the original Secret Wars. I was familiar with a lot of the individual characters before that, but I first saw them together as the Avengers in that book (which was my introduction to the wider Marvel Universe, in terms of both new-to-me characters and the idea of them all co-existing in one big shared continuity). I'd read the book sporadically after that... I always liked the idea of the team, and many of the characters in it, but for whatever reason never followed it regularly.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Another great ep that seems like you guys made it just for me. I started reading Avengers with Bendis and have gone back and read older stories here and there. Keep them coming!
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Always enjoyable to hear Chris from Wild Pig guest on these Spotlight episodes. I didn't start getting the series until the late 80's (Inferno crossover) but I have gone back and read most of the silver age stuff. The Roy Thomas/John Bucema stuff is definately among the better runs from the Silver Age.
  • Options

Pretty sure I discovered the Avengers in the pages of the original Secret Wars. I was familiar with a lot of the individual characters before that, but I first saw them together as the Avengers in that book (which was my introduction to the wider Marvel Universe, in terms of both new-to-me characters and the idea of them all co-existing in one big shared continuity). I'd read the book sporadically after that... I always liked the idea of the team, and many of the characters in it, but for whatever reason never followed it regularly.

Could have been me writing this post. I was the exact same way. Secret Wars was my real gateway into the Marvel Universe as a whole. I remember discovering the Avengers there. And that's what started me reading the Avengers. I think it was issues 242 and 243? that had the disappearance/reappearance of the Avengers for Secret Wars. The Avengers became my favorite team immediately. I stuck around for well over 100 issues.
  • Options
    Loved this (and the subsequent) episode.

Quick question - I could swear at the beginning of the podcast, Chris brought a present to the crew, in the form of a supplement to the "75 Years of the DC Universe" hardback.

I love that hardback, and I'm trying to read everything that was highlighted in that book. (I love those series of books enough that after the Spider-Man spotlights you did last year, I picked up the Spider-Man version...and I'm not even a Spider-Man fan!).

My question is this: What was the supplement that you guys mentioned? I'd love to read anything else that enhances that book.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Loved this (and the subsequent) episode.

Quick question - I could swear at the beginning of the podcast, Chris brought a present to the crew, in the form of a supplement to the "75 Years of the DC Universe" hardback.

I love that hardback, and I'm trying to read everything that was highlighted in that book. (I love those series of books enough that after the Spider-Man spotlights you did last year, I picked up the Spider-Man version...and I'm not even a Spider-Man fan!).

My question is this: What was the supplement that you guys mentioned? I'd love to read anything else that enhances that book.

It was not a really supplement. They are reissuing the book in smaller sections (golden age,silver age, etc) with some new material/editing. The golden age book is out and the silver age will be in the next previews.