Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1341 Talkback: London Super Comic Convention 2013 Wrap-Up

Bryan and Pants recently crossed the Atlantic to attend the second annual London Super Comic Convention. In this episode they discuss the creators, panels, cosplay and more from the show and also talk about their side trip after the convention to Amsterdam. (54:31)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    Sorry to hear that Pants didn't get to see much of Amsterdam. It's a great city and I echo Mr Deemer's sentiments in that I could easily imagine myself living there quite happily.
  • Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    It was great to meet you both! Glad you liked the Irn-Bru and you're missing out by not eating the Haggis, honest. You didn't mention the whisky. ;) James (Constantine)
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    It was a great show and a great time. Thanks for coming over and bringing the big names out.
  • Options
    although it doesn't show the rather good G'Nort costume I saw, or the world's tallest Lara Croft
  • Options
    JamfebJamfeb Posts: 24
    Lara Croft was there last year. When we got lost we met under her
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Posts: 308
    I didn't get to meet Bryan this year, maybe next year. I hope you all like the T-Shirts, I totally didn't notice the Archery shirt was in 'Hawkeye Purple' :))
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Nice episode...it sounds like a great time! I hope I get to attend someday. Sorry to hear that Pants got sick. I was wondering why he wasn't posting on Facebook some much during that time period. Oh, and that video Caliban posted her is AWESOME!
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Sounds like a great con, and yes, Amsterdam is a fantastic city. My wife and I visited for a day or two when we were doing the backpacking around Europe thing when we were first dating (she was spending her junior year in Austria and I went to visit and we spent a month traveling). A lot of people in her program also went to Amsterdam, but I think we were the only ones who went to Amsterdam to see Amsterdam (interestingly, about half the kids in her program ended up getting kicked out a month or two later when they were busted for drug possession). Lots of amazing architecture, friendly people, just an awesomely laid back vibe. Also, it was one of the few places we had been on the trip where we could find bagels. Having craved them for most of the trip and finding none, it was an exciting discovery for both of us.

Also also, I bought what I thought was going to be grape Fanta, but it ended up being blackcurrant. That was just weird.

And yes, you do have to wander around the red light district, it's part of the experience. We actually stumbled across it accidentally... we're walking down a street and suddenly we're all "what's with all these women in the windo... oh." :D
  • Options
    monkey010101monkey010101 Posts: 77
    edited March 2013
    Caliban said:

although it doesn't show the rather good G'Nort costume I saw, or the world's tallest Lara Croft

The G'Nort guy was brilliant. Not only was his costume good he acted the part as well. My 6 year son (dressed as a Green Lantern) was delighted when he won the cosplay competition and went and gave him a high five! For me it was him and the guy dressed as Beast that were the highlights! Beast even had pointed teeth!

Pants is absolutely right about Brian Bolland. I was one of the people Pants mentioned that snuck up as he was packing away. I did feel a bit sheepish (and Pants gave a bit of stern look) and half expected him to turn me away but he didn't and we even had a very brief conversation about him forgeting his name sometimes after a long signing session. What a gent!
  • Options
    The Delirium inked sketch by Alex Serra that Pants gave me at the LSCC for Muddling the Murd last year.
    My daughter's favourite character. Looks pretty good framed in her room
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    Pommykiwi said:

Sorry to hear that Pants didn't get to see much of Amsterdam. It's a great city and I echo Mr Deemer's sentiments in that I could easily imagine myself living there quite happily.

Agreed. I went there two years ago and loved it. Beautiful city. BTW, in the Red Light area, did you guys notice the women with the blue lights instead of red. Which one of you figured out first why they had blue? LOL