Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Geek Retrospective: Justice League of America Prose Novels

If you'll recall, back in the early two thousands (2002-2005) Pocket Books published a series of six novels centering around the Justice League. Five of the six novels focused exclusively on the various members of the JLA. The sixth was a team up book utilizing all members of the JLA. For the sake of jogging your memory, they were as follows:

Green Lantern - Hero's Quest - by Dennis (Denny) O'Neil
Superman - The Never-Ending Battle - by Roger Stern
Batman - The Stone King - by Alan Grant
Wonder Woman - Mythos - by Carol Lay
The Flash - Stop Motion - by Mark Schultz
JLA - Eterminators - by Christopher Golden

I'm particularly fond of the Flash and Green Lantern novels.

Graphic Audio put their mark on these novels by releasing their epic (as usual) audio drama on the material (those are ALSO incredible).

I've been trying to find every one of these novels for awhile now. The other day I found the "Batman - Stone King" novel at a half price books and, a few days later started searching on ebay for the rest. As FATE would have it, I found a seller offering EACH of the novels in a set MINUS the "Batman - Stone King" novels and today they arrived and I have all six.

HUZZAH!

I haven't READ them all, but I've heard them all through the Graphic Audio adaptations.

Thing is, I haven't ever heard any other geeks talk about these novels. I really enjoy them and was hoping to hear some of your thoughts on the series. Or even just one of the six books.

I'd love to hear it!

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I read the JLA one a few years back. It was a decent read but nothing special. I own all of them but the sit in my huge backlog of books to read.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    None of them are bad, but are of different levels of quality. I recall the best of the pack was the Denny O'Neil Green Lantern book, the first and only time I can recall him writing Kyle Rayner (though I know he was involved behind the scenes in the character's creation). The Batman book by Alan Grant was very decent as well. I'd have to reread them all to refresh my memory.

My biggest disappointment was that they didn't continue, but let the series end at just six volumes.
  • Options
    I find it cool that the novels pretty much followed the 'Marvel Movie Method'. They set up a bunch of individual characters in their own novels, then everything came to a head in the JLA novel.

Although the difference is it showed the individual characters interacting with the JLA in each novel. Kind of like how I WISH they'd continue the Marvel movies after the Avengers (cameos in every solo movie).

Just a thought.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

I find it cool that the novels pretty much followed the 'Marvel Movie Method'. They set up a bunch of individual characters in their own novels, then everything came to a head in the JLA novel.

I don't recall that at all. Each of the novels were stand alone, and had no connection to one another, beyond the fact that they were all JLA members. There was no build-up or lead-in to the final book. There wasn't even any publicity excitement about the series... it was just sorta out there. You either knew the books were out there, or you didn't.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    These sound really interesting. I've always wanted to pick up some comic book novels. These sound like a good place to start.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Graphic Audio made these books awesome.
  • Options

Graphic Audio made these books awesome.

Absolutely.

I don't recall that at all. Each of the novels were stand alone, and had no connection to one another, beyond the fact that they were all JLA members. There was no build-up or lead-in to the final book. There wasn't even any publicity excitement about the series... it was just sorta out there. You either knew the books were out there, or you didn't.

I just meant it in the most BASIC of ways. Bunch of solo adventures, then big team up.

I kinda think it would be cool if Warner did the movies for their characters like these books did. Solo adventures but with them interacting with the JLA at various times in their book (only to turn back to focusing in on the solo story). Then BAM, big JLA movie focusing on all the action that the characters bring to the table focusing on a HUGE cosmic or terrestrial threat. I know there's tons of issues with that idea and that I'm probably the only one who wants to see movies like that, but w/e.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Batman - The Stone King ordered. Looking forward to reading.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I remember reading the Green Lantern book. I think it had something to do with Sinestro but I don't remember the overall plot to it. I do remember liking it but I also remember it was Kyle and I was still hurt that Hal and gone crazy but I do remember liking that particular book and not really sure why I didn't get the other ones.