Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

So all of the new Vertigo comics have come out, are you keeping any?

So far I think I'm going to stick with Saucer Country and The New Deadwardians. Saucer Country appeals to my long needed X-Files fix in an odd way, excited to see where this goes. I read The New Deadwardians today while eating a delicious Turkey, Bacon, Avocado, and Swiss on toasted wheat bread, and somehow it felt very British. I liked this issue so much that I was sad to know that it was only going to be 8 issues :(.

I read Fairest and I think since I haven't been reading Fables, it just didn't appeal to me, it's too fairy tale-ish for me. Dominique Laveau: Voodoo Child was a giant mess. This comic took me 3 times to read than a regular comic would and it was because they felt it necessary to use the New Orleans dialect that most of the comic reading community is not familiar with, I know I definitely wasn't since I grew up in Central PA. Yea, so it was just really bad imo, from the odd dialect to the storyline that just didn't flow right, I'm surprised that Vertigo published this, usually I can count on them releasing some pretty good series.

Comments

• TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Fairest I'll try one or two more. Saucer country I like. I'll stick with it probably through first trade. I think Cornell does best with ensemble books though. Maybe he's got more characters in the wings.
  • I like Fairest, but I'm also reading Fables, so I was going to give it at least one arc anyway. I also really like Saucer Country. Didn't pick up the others, though.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I'm most interested in The New Deadwardians - will get that very soon.
  • Waiting for all of them to come in (DCBS bundle) looking forward to them all.
    edited March 2012
    First issue of Fairest was kind of a letdown bec. none of the title characters were in it really -- or the ones positioned in solicits as the title characters anyway. I'll stay with it a bit bec. it is fables, but not sure i'll keep it long term.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I forgot to order the DCBS bundle to try the first issues, but I did read the sample pages in the Vertigo sampler of these titles that came out a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed what I saw of Saucer Country and New Deadwardians and I agree with John that it is a bummer that it is a mini rather than an ongoing. I will definitely get that collection, and follow Saucer Country in trades (as that is usually how I read most of my Vertigo series).

Usually I try the first trade of everything Vertigo does, given their inexpensive price, and my usual return rate of loving most of the ongoings they publish. But I have to say the preview pages from Voodoo Child were a muddle. It really felt like the work of a prose writer who hadn't spent enough time writing comics yet to have it down (and I don't think a Vertigo ongoing should be an entry-level job, even for established authors). It's a shame, since I love Cowan as an artist. But from what I am hearing, the full issue is like the preview pages, so I will probably pass.

I am on the fence with Fairest. I enjoy Fables, but I also feel like I am getting enough Fables in Fables, you know what I mean? Also, I used to devour those trades when they come, and the last two Fables trades have continued to wait on the shelf.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I am on the fence with Fairest. I enjoy Fables, but I also feel like I am getting enough Fables in Fables, you know what I mean? Also, I used to devour those trades when they come, and the last two Fables trades have continued to wait on the shelf.
    Once I finally read the second trade, I devoured Fables. Up through the end of the War. Then my interest rapidly dwindled.
    Once I finally read the second trade, I devoured Fables. Up through the end of the War. Then my interest rapidly dwindled.
    Unfortunately, it feels like after that point Willingham's interest has dwindled as well. There have been some interesting things here and there since that point, but overall the series feels like it is talking past the sale, if you know what I mean. It just seems like the most essential story has been told. And, while there is all sorts of potential in stories set during a relative peacetime, it just doesn't seem like they have been the ones we've been getting so far.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Unfortunately, it feels like after that point Willingham's interest has dwindled as well.
    Yep. I can't blame him for not wanting to walk away from such a successful franchise, especially after the way Elementals fizzled out right at the peak of its popularity.

Fairest, putting the stories in other writers hands, mayre-invigorate things.
    Unfortunately, it feels like after that point Willingham's interest has dwindled as well.
    Yep. I can't blame him for not wanting to walk away from such a successful franchise, especially after the way Elementals fizzled out right at the peak of its popularity.

Fairest, putting the stories in other writers hands, mayre-invigorate things.
    That's true-- it may be that other writers might bring some fresh air and excitement to it. I found that to be the case for the Jack of Fables series (which I think Willingham may have co-wrote at first? I forget. But I always got the feeling that spin-off was really being driven by Sturges.) And most of that series was fun and energetic. Until about the time of the crossover. And so, like the most recent couple of Fables trades, the last two or three Jack trades have continued to wait on the to-read shelves.
    The Cinderella mini's were pretty good. I'm hoping he comes back to the Boy Blue/Rose Red story at some point. They were probably my 2 favorite fables.
  • ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Nope. I tried and I support what they do but I think this was all a big swing and a miss unfortunately. Saucer wasn't my thing and I love X-Files/Alien stuff and Fairest just did nothing for me, I even reread it to see if maybe it would grow on me, it just didn't. And David, my most recent Fables Deluxe HC is still wrapped on my shelf too. Sometimes more is just more. There is basically nothing for me to buy even though I want to support it.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I have the first issue bundle coming from DCBS, and I'm committed to read the next two issues of each as well.

Fables has become an entity unto itself for me. You have the main title, the Jack books, the Cinderella books, the Peter and Max novel, and now Fairest. Some arcs have been better than others but I can't say I've ever considered dropping the books for lack of interest.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I am gonna try out Fairest when it comes out in trades. The rest of them just don't appeal to me.
  • Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    I'm getting all the initial offerings. So far, Fairest is the only title I plan to keep buying.
    I purchased, but have yet to read the New Deadwardians. Hopefully, it will be a keeper as well. I'd be very letdown if Fairest was the only one of the bunch I liked.