Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ultron. Not just the Age of, but probably mostly the Age Of

Marvel's new Event is out, and while it doesn't SEEM like an event to me, it will be spilling into books somehow and is the big Bendis farewell to the Avengers.

In a lot of ways, Ultron is the first 2nd Marvel generation Big Bad, having been created by Roy Thomas and John Buscema, neither of whom were around at the beginning of the Marvel Universe, so he wasn't created by Kirby, Lee or Ditko and really FEELS like the start of a new generation of villains because he grew out of a character already established. Hank Pym created him, but he draws more from the SF of the time than other Marvel characters.

Thomas didn't use him much after his first couple of appearances, and really, he showed up sparingly in the Avengers until the 1980's, when Shooter used him in Secret Wars as just another character in the mob scenes...and then Englehart used him in WCAvengers and he was gone again.

Once Kurt Busiek came onto the Avengers, the character REALLY felt like a major threat. Since then, they've done a good job of keeping him strong...

Now we have Age Of Ultron which starts after he has won. I thought it was a good first issue, setting up the situation and left us with a LOT of questions.

Anyone got an opinion or discussion yet?

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2013
    I want to read this, Ultron isn't just one of my favorite Avengers villains, he is one of my favorite villains of all time. Two things are working against me from reading this.

I'm having a hard time springing for that $3.99, I think only two or three issues are two weeks apart, the others are weekly.

Second, I'm not sure that I want to read a story that starts from where Ultron has alrerady won. I want to see my heroes get put through the wringer, see Ultron's rise to victory and then see the heroes that are left fight back. With it starting out with Ultron having won, I don't have a sense of dread for the heroes.

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    You're forgetting that Thomas also used him again during his run on West Coast Avengers, during which he introduced Alchema, Ultron's treacherous mate. Then, Thomas, Busiek and Englehart (and, I think, Roger Stern?) together did the extra-large sized Ultron Imperative.

I don't have a problem with the story beginning with the Avengers' apparent defeat; just makes me all the more curious as to how they got there. It's a good story hook.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I *had* forgotten the WCAvengers Ultron story. Was it any good? (I'm thinking not, since I completely spaced on it)
  • Options
    Although Thomas' original Avengers run was epic, I thought his WCA run was mostly flat with only a few high spots here and there. The Ultron story was mostly run-of-the-mill, though it did, as I said, introduce Alchema and set up a bizarre three-way battle between her, Ultron and the Avengers. The Imperative one-shot was much better, benefitting from the input of three of the series' best writers, though suffering just a wee bit from the conflicting art styles of some otherwise terrific artists.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ultron was also a player in the original Secret Wars, where he was used rather poorly. His programming is overridden by Doctor Doom, a circumstance I didn't really have a problem with, but it left him as essentially a puppet for most of the story; his actions before that were that of a rogue, shooting blindly at anything remotely human. Not his best appearance in a Marvel book. (Of course, you already mentioned this in passing in the opening post...)

I remember Shooter doing a couple of good Ultron stories in The Avengers, including the one that first introduced Jocasta.

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    Greg said:

Second, I'm not sure that I want to read a story that starts from where Ultron has alrerady won. I want to see my heroes get put through the wringer, see Ultron's rise to victory and then see the heroes that are left fight back. With it starting out with Ultron having won, I don't have a sense of dread for the heroes.

I like the first issue of Age of Ultron This first issue felt like a "Days of Future Past" meets "The Ultimates" , although Hitch's art might be the reason for the latter.

One of the great things about Days of Future Past is we come into the story after the fall of The X-Men and other heroes with just a brief recap of how it happened. The fall was too big of a story to be told, so it was left to our imaginations. The real story is the final attempt of the X-Men to stop it from ever happening.

I understand how you feel about the story starting after Ultron's victory over The Avengers but I think like D of FP the real story is in the comeback. How can they comeback and at what cost. We may never find out what happened to Thor or the rest of The FF, hopefully we will get some of the backstory in flashbacks and in the dialog to fill in the blanks.

I'm looking forward to finding out what happened and what is going to happen.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I *had* forgotten the WCAvengers Ultron story. Was it any good? (I'm thinking not, since I completely spaced on it)

I seem to remember it being pretty good and Ultron becoming a good guy for a short while. But it has been years since I read the early WCA stuff.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I seem to remember it being pretty good and Ultron becoming a good guy for a short while. But it has been years since I read the early WCA stuff.

That particular story was during Englehart's stint on the book, and involved Ultron's programming being copied into a new body, resulting in there being two Ultrons running around -- one evil, and the other being a good, dutiful son to Hank Pym. An interesting twist.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    SolitaireRose, I appreciate your first post. I read Age of Ultron #1 the other day and I was wondering if I had missed something. Normally with event stories I’m interested in, I only stick with the main books and whatever crossover titles I’m reading monthly at that time. For Marvel, I’m only reading All New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. I would have liked to see what led up to Age of Ultron #1.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    I'm tired of time travel stories. They just feel so meaningless. Everything will be fixed at the end as if nothing happened (and they make my head hurt). I was kind of disappointed to see this was the route for Age of Ultron. You can't top Avengers Forever, so just stop now with the Time travel stories (or at least limit them to once every 5 years).
    For some reason Ultron has always scared the crap out of me. I think it has something to do with him being so cold and calculating (and tough as nails). That, and the fact there is something about Ultron that reminds me of the Space Probe from the Six Million Dollar Man that gave 7 year old me nightmares for months.

Here's hoping the ton of crossovers have more resonance with the current timeline.
    side note: at the risk of sounding old and curmudgeonly... I found issue 1 overly violent. Didn't really appreciate it.
  • Options
    Hex said:

I'm tired of time travel stories. They just feel so meaningless. Everything will be fixed at the end as if nothing happened (and they make my head hurt).

They don't bother me in the least. I enjoy them as a type of 'what if' or alternate world type of story. They don't need to necessarily change the actual status quo of the present: it's not always the destination that's important, but the journey.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    My favorite Ultron story was in WCA, where the good Ultron foughy the evil Ultron.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    edited March 2013
    Saw the preview for #2, broke down and grabbed the first one today and will keep with it, tempted pick up Bendis' Moon Knight also.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

\

I remember Shooter doing a couple of good Ultron stories in The Avengers, including the one that first introduced Jocasta.

Avengers 170-171 by Shooter/Pérez is one of my favorite Ultron stories. This is the one were The Avengers bring a deactivated Jocasta into the mansion and she comes to life and kicks The Avengers butts. What is really cool is we find out that Ultron is scared of Wanda's powers. Wanda really shines in this issue and we start to see how powerful Wanda can really be.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    Is the post-Heroes Reborn Kurt Busiek/George Perez Ultron story the one where Thor spoke those awesome words, “Ultron, we would have words with thee!” If so, that’s my favorite Ultron story.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

\

Jocasta has always been one of my favourite things about Ultron. Hope she plays a prominent role in this upcoming story.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    OT: This thread has one of the most amusingly-phrased titles I can recall.