Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cancelled Comics Cavalcade

So I run this blog called "Ragman - DC's Tatterdemalion of Justice!" which can be found at www.thesuitofsouls.blogspot.com.

I'm currently reviewing and commenting on the original 70's Kubert and Kanigher Ragman series. I plan on reviewing each and every appearance of the Ragman ever.

I know how unbelievably and INCREDIBLY rare "issues"/photocopies of 'Cancelled Comics Cavalcade' are. But I was hoping SOMEONE out there had one (or digital access to one).

As much as I'd like to read the full thing, I have to be logical and say that ALL I NEED is the Ragman stories in the book.

Let me know if you know anything. Remember this is strictly in the interest of being COMPLETE over on the 'Suit of Souls Blog'.

Read and comment on the new-ish blog should you so feel the desire!

Chad Bokelman

Comments

• Options
    thesuitofsouls.blogspot.com/

That's the link to the blog, sorry for not including it in the original post.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    Try reaching out to mike Barr. He wrote an article on it for back issue and was the editor of the book. If anybody could help you find a photocopy it's him. I don't think there are many left. At the least he might be able to tell you about the Ragman story.

Also try searching on heritage. I think I saw them sell some original art from that book and they have incredibly good scans. You might be able to read it that way.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2013
    I’ve read a physical copy of both volumes of CCC, but I only have scans of a few pages. Because of the tape binding and the thickness of the volumes—the first volume is about two inches thick, the second a little over an inch thick—they are very difficult to scan without breaking the binding and damaging the books.

But there are no Ragman stories in the book, only the cover of what would have been issue #6. That’s not atypical, either. Quite a few of the books included only had covers or were only partially completed when they were cancelled, and DC put whatever they had in the office into the two volumes. And some of the stories were eventually used. The Deadman story, for instance, was originally intended for Showcase, but with a change of cover type and the cutting of some panels, it ran as the cover and back-up story for Adventure Comics #464.

Now, that’s not to say that there aren’t pages for Ragman #6 out there. If Kubert had done some pages and not turned them in yet, he probably would have kept them for himself. But while there is original art from CCC on the Heritage Auction site, there are not any from the Ragman story. There could be some on the market, but I haven’t seen them.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Some of the stories in the CCC have managed to finally see print now and then. The Firestorm story was printed in the Firestorm tpb last year, and the Creeper story intended for Showcase was published in the hardcover collection a few years back. No Ragman, though, and I'm not certain of any others.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I will say that there are copies floating around in cyberspace, although they are NOT legal copies, and if you look for them, you should be aware of that.

I do know someone who has a 5th or 6th generation photocopy, and will ask him about the Ragman stories.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    @CageNarleigh, I'm pretty sure I scanned the Ragman cover, but I’ve only been able to find the Jim Aparo art I scanned from the books so far. It may be only on a disc, since I wasn’t planning on using it for any of my books. I made these scans seven or eight years ago, so I just don’t remember exactly. If I come across the disc, I’ll let you know.
  • Options

@CageNarleigh, I'm pretty sure I scanned the Ragman cover, but I’ve only been able to find the Jim Aparo art I scanned from the books so far. It may be only on a disc, since I wasn’t planning on using it for any of my books. I made these scans seven or eight years ago, so I just don’t remember exactly. If I come across the disc, I’ll let you know.

Your willingness to help out is greatly appreciated! I hope you're able to find something!

Thanks also to everyone for looking out! I wasn't aware there was only a cover for #6.