Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1346 Talkback: Previews

It's Previews time yet again! We go through the March Previews catalog for items shipping beginning in May. (1:25:01)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Capote in Kansas was published in 2005 I believe.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    If you can bring yourself to watch Amethyst on Youtube, here's a playlist for it in its entirety:
    themarysue.com/amethyst-gemworld-shorts-playlist/
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the Cliff Chiang book mention, guys. I appreciate it.

Also, the ad for the Brenda Starr book is a bit misleading. There is one Brenda Starr cover that some people have speculated may have been drawn by Matt Baker, but Baker did not, in fact, draw that cover, so there is no Matt Baker artwork in this book. It’s funny how Dale Messick is the third name on the list in the ad when she created the character and wrote and drew all the stories.
  • Options
    JamieDJamieD Posts: 210

Thanks for the Cliff Chiang book mention, guys. I appreciate it.

Also, the ad for the Brenda Starr book is a bit misleading. There is one Brenda Starr cover that some people have speculated may have been drawn by Matt Baker, but Baker did not, in fact, draw that cover, so there is no Matt Baker artwork in this book. It’s funny how Dale Messick is the third name on the list in the ad when she created the character and wrote and drew all the stories.

Thanks for laying down the knowledge sir
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    @JamieD If you've been enjoying Adventure Time on TV, then definitely give the comic a shot. I've picked up the first two trades so far, and they've both been as good as anything on the show itself, while not requiring an encyclopedic knowledge of the show in order to follow along. Plus, it plays with the comics medium in ways you couldn't on the show, including lots of footnote asides and, at the start of one story, a clever visual gag that riffs on the opening credits. Great stuff so far.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited March 2013
    Also, yes, those Doctor Who novels are all reprints: Doctors 1-6 are from the BBC Past Doctors Adventures line, 8 is from their 8th Doctor Adventures line, and 7 is a reprint of one of the Target Books episode adaptation novels (one of the better ones, in fact). I can assume that they didn't pick one of the MANY 7th Doctor "New Adventures" novels from Virgin due to licensing issues (lots of original characters in there), but it's weird they didn't pick one of the BBC PDAs for 7 to fit in better. As I said, Remembrance of the Daleks is a great adaptation, but it's likely to look thin next to the others.

9, 10, and 11 are from newer series, of course. Excited to see Silent Stars Go By come out in a cheaper edition.... been looking forward to reading that.

I'll definitely be getting the 4th Doctor book, Festival of Death, which was all kinds of awesome but for some reason I didn't hold onto my old copy. The 3rd Doctor book, Last of the Gaderene is by Mark Gatiss, and it's supposed to be good, too, so I plan on getting that. And the 6th Doctor book, Players, interests me, too.
  • Options

@JamieD If you've been enjoying Adventure Time on TV, then definitely give the comic a shot. I've picked up the first two trades so far, and they've both been as good as anything on the show itself, while not requiring an encyclopedic knowledge of the show in order to follow along. Plus, it plays with the comics medium in ways you couldn't on the show, including lots of footnote asides and, at the start of one story, a clever visual gag that riffs on the opening credits. Great stuff so far.

As you are one of the forum opinions I most respect, thanks for the recommendation I will give them both a try
  • Options
    Just started listening to this episode today, and heard the question about the time period that Star Wars: Agent of the Empire takes place in (I believe Shane was wondering). Those stories take place between the movie trilogies. So they take place after Revenge of the Sith, but before A New Hope. You get some cool cameos and some longer appearances in both mini-series that have been done so far such as Han & Chewie, Princess Leia, and Boba Fett.

Both are good stories if you like the idea of a James Bond style character in the Star Wars universe that works for the "ideals" of the Empire.

Well, onto more listening...which I'm sure will mean me adding to my DCBS pre-order list....these episodes always do that to me. Why do I listen???? LOL Probably because I'd rather spend more money on my order than to miss out on something really cool and regret it later.
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    "Why is Marvel making me buy two Avengers books each month?" - Jamie's lament in this episode.

Here's what Marvel's public response would be - "We're just giving you more of what you love. Why would you want less?"

Here's what Marvel REALLY means - "You mean you'll but this no matter what? Especially if it's a good product? Why wouldn't we take your money? Do you think we're dumb?"
  • Options
    DrBravo2 said:

"Why is Marvel making me buy two Avengers books each month?" - Jamie's lament in this episode.

Here's what Marvel's public response would be - "We're just giving you more of what you love. Why would you want less?"

Here's what Marvel REALLY means - "You mean you'll but this no matter what? Especially if it's a good product? Why wouldn't we take your money? Do you think we're dumb?"

I know, I am a dope....LOL this just means one less other book to buy
  • Options
    DrBravo2DrBravo2 Posts: 31
    Marvel just hopes that the book you drop in favor of the Avengers is a DC or independent book.

Heck, even if it's a Marvel book, they're breaking even.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    It's March 31st (here in Japan) and I just filled out my DCBS order while listening to this episode! Makes things a LOT easier. Here are some of the books that I ordered which I wouldn't have if I hadn't listened: Ten Grand #1, Wake #1, Deep Sea One-Shot, Battlestar Galactica #1, and Black Bat #1. Should be some interesting reading coming up when they arrive.
    Oh, I didn't get that Iron Man/Melter book, but I'm guessing that the variant cover by Gil Kane is probably the original cover from Iron Man #72.
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=17663
    Anyway, as usual, thanks for this episode. It really helps me out each month!