Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

One especially for Murd

hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
Interesting piece on a SXSW documentary on video-philes...

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/rewind-this-vhs-documentary/

eta: @Adam_Murdough tag to make sure that the Master of Muttonchops doesn't miss it.

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited March 2013
    A correctly applied off-topic flag... didn't pay attention to which forum I was in. Might I solicit an admin to move this to Off-topic?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    No problem. Moved!
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the link--sounds like my kinda project! Great to know there's a whole subculture of VHS classicists like me out there, though I fall into the camp that believes there's value in the medium itself, above and beyond the fact that it's the only way to see certain obscure film gems that never had a digital release. I'm especially interested in the idea of the VHS tape as palimpsest, a composite historical document made up of multiple video texts layered one atop the other with each new recording. I'm geeking out just thinking about it!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    "Palimpsest"

World English Dictionary
    palimpsest (ˈpælɪmpˌsɛst) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
    1. a manuscript on which two or more successive texts have been written, each one being erased to make room for the next

— adj
    2. (of a text) written on a palimpsest
    3. (of a document) used as a palimpsest

[C17: from Latin palimpsestus parchment cleaned for reuse, from Greek palimpsēstos, from palin again + psēstos rubbed smooth, from psēn to scrape]
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Hey, thanks for the link--sounds like my kinda project! Great to know there's a whole subculture of VHS classicists like me out there, though I fall into the camp that believes there's value in the medium itself, above and beyond the fact that it's the only way to see certain obscure film gems that never had a digital release. I'm especially interested in the idea of the VHS tape as palimpsest, a composite historical document made up of multiple video texts layered one atop the other with each new recording. I'm geeking out just thinking about it!

There is 2 or more VHS based documentaries being worked on right now. Plus a small resurgence of VHS releases.