Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1347 Talkback: A Hodgepodge

After a health update from Jamie we get into some spoilery discussion on the finales of Green Lantern the Animated Series and Young Justice: Invasion. Also Pants' journey into Dr. Who continues and kicks off a long conversation about the show and we answer a listener question about what 80's Avengers and DC New 52 books to suggest. (1:15:10)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Well the last 10 minutes or so had good ol' fashioned comics talk. Thanks!

Matthew
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm looking forward to hearing Pant's thoughts on Who.
  • Options
    Sounds like Dr. Who passed the Hawkeye test.
  • Options
    PommykiwiPommykiwi Posts: 25
    Not comic-related and grown out of love with New Who but would love to hear regular updates from Pants about what he thinks about Dr Who as he catches up.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    So in GL:TAS, Aya is to remake the universe, devoid of organic life with only artificail beings? Sounds like she was the primary architect for the Nu52.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It was awesome to hear all the Doctor Who talk in this episode, though hearing so much of the almost-but-not-quite-correct information getting tossed around was making me a little crazy at the end. But having complained in the past about other people who have just come onto threads with laundry lists of errors to be corrected, I don't wanna be a hypocrite so I'll bite my tongue. Or fingers, I suppose, since I'm typing all this. :D

But rest assured, @Pants, there are plenty of us Whovians on this forum who are plenty happy to talk about the show with you (and Jamie and Shane and anyone else!). And check out the Doctor Who thread in the Off Topic forum (carefully, as it might get a little spoilery for you at times) for lots of good Who talk and suggestions for both the new and original series.
  • Options
    While I can't argue logic or plot points on the animated finale, I'm nearly positive the creative teams wrote the season finales as such and not as series finales. The factor to these series living on is Cartoon Network ordering more episodes. Wikipedia cites an article dated January 29th reporting the announcement that no more episodes were picked up for the series. That's 7 weeks before the finale airs. Even if the word came down internally say... when the shown went on hiatus back in the fall, that's still not enough lead time. CGI needs at least 6 months from an episodes birth to completion.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    abuddah said:

While I can't argue logic or plot points on the animated finale, I'm nearly positive the creative teams wrote the season finales as such and not as series finales. The factor to these series living on is Cartoon Network ordering more episodes. Wikipedia cites an article dated January 29th reporting the announcement that no more episodes were picked up for the series. That's 7 weeks before the finale airs. Even if the word came down internally say... when the shown went on hiatus back in the fall, that's still not enough lead time. CGI needs at least 6 months from an episodes birth to completion.

I can't speak to Young Justice's specific situation, but the animators have said that when they were doing Justice League and Justice League Unlimited they did, in fact, write the final episodes to each season as though they were the show's finale, because they had no idea that far in advance as to whether or not the show would be renewed. I wouldn't be surprised if the same philosophy was applied to YJ.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Red Lanterns: Still angry with the Green after losing the war, probably don't trust them enough to join a fight

Yellow Entity: Has been seen at least twice. Had not yet been refined to a power ring

Black Lanterns: As it was pointed out (and because it' a kiddy show) Aya didn't kill any living beings so there were none to resurrect

I'm sure they were ready to introduce all the lantern corp over time but as stated, they had the rug pulled out from under them at the last hour. It's not an argument of poor storytelling, it's CN, it's the failure of the GL movie, it's Mattel.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Way too much Dr. Who. After forwarding through that the episode ended up being about 15 minutes for me.

I can't disagree more with Jamie about both the Young Justice and Green Lantern endings. Young Justice ends with a cliffhanger and I'm not holding my breath that we will ever see another Young Justice show or animated movie. If it happens great but I can't see it. The real ending was when the JL handed the keys to the Watchtower over to the team.

Green Lantern had a great, emotional ending. It would have been cool to see the other colors show up but it wasn't needed. The entire show has been about Razor and his character arc. The ending, when he came to realize that he now had hope for the future, and attempting to find Aya was heartfelt, emotional and most of all earned (unlike Sinestro and the Yellow Ring in the movie). The Blue Ring made me so happy.
  • Options

abuddah said:

I can't speak to Young Justice's specific situation, but the animators have said that when they were doing Justice League and Justice League Unlimited they did, in fact, write the final episodes to each season as though they were the show's finale, because they had no idea that far in advance as to whether or not the show would be renewed. I wouldn't be surprised if the same philosophy was applied to YJ.
    That's true, but you have to factor in the biggest money maker: syndication. Justice League ended with 52 episodes which is the classic four 13 ep or two 26 episode order so you can eventually run the series 5 days a week. Timm and co. being veterans on animation knew CN had hit the magic # and were ready for the end. However they got renewed for another 26 eps under the JLU banner and at that point thought they were clearly done and Dwayne McDuffie penned the amazing "Epilogue". When they got another batch of 13 ordered, they knew it couldn't possibly go any further than that and so they gave us the icing on the cake showdown with Grodd and Luthor's LOD.

GL TAS ends at 26 eps, only half of the # required for syndication. YJ ends with 46, a very odd number which is probably due to its bizarre scheduling. I'll concede YJ probably had a better sense this could be the end but if you watched, you know Greg Weisman plays the (way) too long plotting game.
  • Options
    As for those comic recommendations, I'd swap Shane's takes on Demon Knights and Catwoman. Robert Venditti just took over for Paul Cornel on Demon Knights and reviews have generally said he's keeping the course. Anne Nocenti took over after issue 12 (Shane's last read) and her take has been panned by numerous review sites.

As for Finch's artwork on JL Dark, it turns out he's trying out a computer enhanced technique:
    newsarama.com/comics/david-finch-justice-league-america-3d-art.html

and as for Jack Knight Starman, do not hold your breath. His creator, James Robinson, said on a recent Comic Vine podcast that Jack is staying retired and DC is honoring his request.

Also, put me in the camp that just FF'd through the Dr. Who talk.
  • Options
    Personally, I like the Doctor Who talk. it's a great show ;)

Jamie, I think your frustration with the GL ending doesn't make sense. You're yelling for a different story than the one being presented to its intended 7 year old audience.

Shane says they made the final episode knowing it was the end of the series? Its been my experience that these things are made wayyy before they know if a show is coming back or not.

It's sort of like when Julian Lytle was yelling about Marvel becoming too predictable for his eyes, and Murd's frustration over the over-simplification of the Anti Monitor in the animated GL.

This isn't about giving us older viewers/comic readers easter eggs, it's about telling their Y7 story the way they see fit.

It's one thing for uneducated fans making complaints like this, but frankly you guys have been at covering this stuff far too long to have these kind of uninformed complaints .

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2013

Jamie, I think your frustration with the GL ending doesn't make sense. You're yelling for a different story than the one being presented to its intended 7 year old audience.

Shane says they made the final episode knowing it was the end of the series? Its been my experience that these things are made wayyy before they know if a show is coming back or not.

It's sort of like when Julian Lytle was yelling about Marvel becoming too predictable for his eyes, and Murd's frustration over the over-simplification of the Anti Monitor in the animated GL.

This isn't about giving us older viewers/comic readers easter eggs, it's about telling their Y7 story the way they see fit.

It's one thing for uneducated fans making complaints like this, but frankly you guys have been at covering this stuff far too long to have these kind of uninformed complaints .

But isn't it the sign of a really great all-ages show (or comic, film, play, video game, etc.) when it pleases younger AND older audiences? Batman TAS certainly succeeded at doing that and, unlike Green Lantern, it didn't even premiere its episodes in prime time. Star Wars The Clone Wars has a fan base that includes kids and adults. The fact is, shows like this have a long history of trying to appeal to kids and adults (be they their parents or adult fans). Some succeed at that better than others. When Geoff Johns and Bruce Timm were out presenting panels on this show at various comic cons to tease all the things from his comics that would be in the series, was that because that was what the seven year olds wanted? How many seven year olds were attending that panel, do you think?

I don't see how the complaint of an adult fan that this show didn't work for them is somehow uninformed. Not when we all are educated enough to know that guys like Jamie and Shane are absolutely part of the audience a multi-quadrant show like this is aimed towards.

Now does that mean that all the story choices the producers make should be only aimed at the established, older comics fans? Of course not. And that is as true for a Green Lantern cartoon as it is for a Walking Dead show. They should serve what they are making first and foremost. But let's not pretend that this show is only made for the seven year olds and the comics fans (who this show was directly promoted to on the con circuit and websites) somehow have no stake or place wanting what they want, too.
  • Options
    tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733

abuddah said:

Yes, Greg Weisman does follow that philosophy, though he doesn't explicitly write the season finale as a possible series finale. While he's aware that every season could be the last, he's also optimistic that it could be renewed for another season. So, he wraps up every immediate storyline from the current season by the finale, but also sets up the potential next season. He gives you closure regarding all major threads in the show, leaving you satisfied but wanting more. And that's what he's done for all his series.

I'm not sure about the production schedule of Green Lantern, but Weisman keeps the fans in the loop regarding Young Justice's production. He and his crew starting breaking Invasion in March 2011, with the final episode being written in September 2011. The final episode was sent overseas to be animated around May 2012.
  • Options
    Da
    David_D said:

But isn't it the sign of a really great all-ages show (or comic, film, play, video game, etc.) when it pleases younger AND older audiences? Batman TAS certainly succeeded at doing that and, unlike Green Lantern, it didn't even premiere its episodes in prime time. Star Wars The Clone Wars has a fan base that includes kids and adults. The fact is, shows like this have a long history of trying to appeal to kids and adults (be they their parents or adult fans). Some succeed at that better than others. When Geoff Johns and Bruce Timm were out presenting panels on this show at various comic cons to tease all the things from his comics that would be in the series, was that because that was what the seven year olds wanted? How many seven year olds were attending that panel, do you think?

I don't see how the complaint of an adult fan that this show didn't work for them is somehow uninformed. Not when we all are educated enough to know that guys like Jamie and Shane are absolutely part of the audience a multi-quadrant show like this is aimed towards.

Now does that mean that all the story choices the producers make should be only aimed at the established, older comics fans? Of course not. And that is as true for a Green Lantern cartoon as it is for a Walking Dead show. They should serve what they are making first and foremost. But let's not pretend that this show is only made for the seven year olds and the comics fans (who this show was directly promoted to on the con circuit and websites) somehow have no stake or place wanting what they want, too.
    David, the uninformed part is when Shane and Jamie complain that the producers "know" this is their last episode. I don't think that was the case and as others pointed out CGI takes a long time to produce. Longer than the Jan 29th cancellation announcement .

Further, the recurring explanation as to why these shows get cancelled despite big audiences of teens and older viewers is that they are produced specifically for the Y7 audience . That doesn't deny the older viewer existence , but that's not the target demo for their advertisers, who pay to reach those 7 yr old kids. That's just the way kids TV works . Again CGS has had plenty of guests who have explained these sort of production facts, but the message doesn't seem to be getting through to this podcast.
  • Options

And there it is.
    That last bit really wasn't necessary.
    Might I suggest you have someone look over what you've written before you hit "Post".
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2013

Da

David_D said:

David, the uninformed part is when Shane and Jamie complain that the producers "know" this is their last episode. I don't think that was the case and as others pointed out CGI takes a long time to produce. Longer than the Jan 29th cancellation announcement .

Further, the recurring explanation as to why these shows get cancelled despite big audiences of teens and older viewers is that they are produced specifically for the Y7 audience . That doesn't deny the older viewer existence , but that's not the target demo for their advertisers, who pay to reach those 7 yr old kids. That's just the way kids TV works . Again CGS has had plenty of guests who have explained these sort of production facts, but the message doesn't seem to be getting through to this podcast.
    I can't imagine why a show would set out to limit its audience that way, not when the better goal is multi-quadrant. And especially when they are sitting on a piece of proven content that has a built-in adult audience. Why leave those viewers- the ones most likely to follow-through and buy your content on iTunes or Blu-Ray- as so much money on the table?

The more likely scenario- especially with the prime time slot and the sort of money being spent- is that they are at least trying to go for a wider target. If they weren't, then why spend money appearing and promoting at cons? Why would the creators appear on CGS and your show? To reach all the seven year olds that listen?

A show that succeeds in pleasing (and this being chosen by) an audience of parents and children (giving the advertisers a situation where a child watching with a parent the opportunity to immediately point to a product and say 'I want that') is the ideal target. It is also a fact that in prime time adults are more often in charge of the remote than kids.

As for whether or not they knew it was the last episode- sure, they may not have known it was the very last. But they would have known it was the last one ordered. And many shows, when they know they are at the end of their pickup might not go for a big The End, but may go for something that could work as an ending.

Again- when one complains, it is because one hoped something would be better. Again, with some strong examples of past shows (such as Timm's own Batman: The Animated Series) to hold up as examples, it is so wrong for some viewers to have hoped for better?
  • Options
    Pants. You have a fun "Who" ride in front of you. I envy you.
  • Options
    By the way. The Who audio books were mentioned. Big Finish is doing a 50th. Anniversary special using the living Classic Doctors along with Paul McGann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-MAp3ZsYs

Personally, I've very mixed feelings about Big Finish. On the one hand it's great to hear people speak the English language beautifully and it's classic Who. On the other I find the stories to be very "preachy" (especially those featuring Colin Baker).
    I am very thankful that it's given McGann a place to explore his Doctor. I've enjoyed his adventures very much.
  • Options
    rebis said:

And there it is.
    Might I suggest you have someone look over what you've written before you hit "Post".
    you can ignore the fact that the CGS guys cover animation and have had countless interviews with animations pros if you want.

• Options
    rebis said:

By the way. The Who audio books were mentioned. Big Finish is doing a 50th. Anniversary special using the living Classic Doctors along with Paul McGann.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A-MAp3ZsYs

Personally, I've very mixed feelings about Big Finish. On the one hand it's great to hear people speak the English language beautifully and it's classic Who. On the other I find the stories to be very "preachy" (especially those featuring Colin Baker).
    I am very thankful that it's given McGann a place to explore his Doctor. I've enjoyed his adventures very much.

the big finish doctor whos have some fantastic stories, along with clunkers. no different than any drama series

• Options
    wordballoonwordballoon Posts: 87
    edited March 2013
    David_D said:

I can't imagine why a show would set out to limit its audience that way, not when the better goal is multi-quadrant. And especially when they are sitting on a piece of proven content that has a built-in adult audience. Why leave those viewers- the ones most likely to follow-through and buy your content on iTunes or Blu-Ray- as so much money on the table?

The more likely scenario- especially with the prime time slot and the sort of money being spent- is that they are at least trying to go for a wider target. If they weren't, then why spend money appearing and promoting at cons? Why would the creators appear on CGS and your show? To reach all the seven year olds that listen?

A show that succeeds in pleasing (and this being chosen by) an audience of parents and children (giving the advertisers a situation where a child watching with a parent the opportunity to immediately point to a product and say 'I want that') is the ideal target. It is also a fact that in prime time adults are more often in charge of the remote than kids.

As for whether or not they knew it was the last episode- sure, they may not have known it was the very last. But they would have known it was the last one ordered. And many shows, when they know they are at the end of their pickup might not go for a big The End, but may go for something that could work as an ending.

Again- when one complains, it is because one hoped something would be better. Again, with some strong examples of past shows (such as Timm's own Batman: The Animated Series) to hold up as examples, it is so wrong for some viewers to have hoped for better?

Imagine anything you like David, but that's the reality, to the disappointment of many older animated JLA fans, among other shows cancelled "before their time" .

Batman The TAS was 20 years ago, and the business side of animation has changed since then. It's an outdated argument to lean on. Also GL and YJ stopped being prime time shows pretty early on in their runs.

Hell even when networks do get the Y7 numbers they want, it's still rare that any Y7 cartoons get more than 52 eps produced.

Batman The Brave and Bold did great, but it still wrapped up after only 65 eps, and now it's time for the new Batman show.

• Options
    BTW before anyone throws out Star Wars The Clone Wars as an example against what I'm talking about, I said "rare", not never.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470

you can ignore the fact that the CGS guys cover animation and have had countless interviews with animations pros if you want.

• Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I'm contributing to the cycle I hate but it seems anytime a post goes up that even has a whiff of criticism of the Geeks, that forum member gets lectured or condescended to. I love the give and take of the forum but sometimes the opposition party gets drowned in a chorus of yes men. Wordballlon's shot at Geeks was valid and telling him to have someone "look over" his posts is contrary to what we should expect of an open minded conversation. Everybody has an opinion but it gets discouraging to see the minority opinions continually ridiculed for expressing it if it conflicts with what one of the Geeks have said in an episode. The Geeks can say something we don't agree with. Don't tell me its unnecessary to call them on it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited March 2013

rebis said:

And there it is.

I am not doubting the show has interviewed animation pros, but I'm not certain there have been "countless." I can only really think of one or two; I'll have to research the archives. I'm not saying there isn't a valid concerned on your end, but without certainty, using the word "countless" implies 'many' verses 'a few.'

M
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited March 2013
    shroud68 said:

I'm contributing to the cycle I hate but it seems anytime a post goes up that even has a whiff of criticism of the Geeks, that forum member gets lectured or condescended to. I love the give and take of the forum but sometimes the opposition party gets drowned in a chorus of yes men. Wordballlon's shot at Geeks was valid and telling him to have someone "look over" his posts is contrary to what we should expect of an open minded conversation. Everybody has an opinion but it gets discouraging to see the minority opinions continually ridiculed for expressing it if it conflicts with what one of the Geeks have said in an episode. The Geeks can say something we don't agree with. Don't tell me its unnecessary to call them on it.

Based on a post you made in another thread, you know I have a rep as being an agitator (my motto: irritate, agitate, instigate...pissing the world off one person at a time), BUT I am the first person to jump into the fray to stand up for my friends.

I think the Wordballoon posts have a recurring theme. As mentioned above, I am not doubting there is some truth in Wordballoon's initial post. I think (unfortunately) there is a pattern of posting more criticism (some nitpicking) then positive feedback. That's not to say the show (and hosts) only want people posting/saying good things about the show (or hosts). In fact, some of us don't care either way. I have, however, found the friend who is mostly negative about everything and seems to mostly contribute negative comments gets more and more stifled or invited to the get-togethers less and less.

I think (and this is purely based on my own assessment) the egress stems from the different mission statements of the two shows. John seems to run his as more of a professional media outlet that holds itself accountable for the information presented. CGS is more of a hobby, friendly past time the guys enjoy doing and don't take themselves too seriously; nothing fancy, nothing professional. I think sometimes CGS gets crammed into another cookie cutter that isn't what the hosts see themselves as.

M.