Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Diggle Gone! Faster Than A Speeding Bullet!

Without specifying beyond it being for professional reasons, Andy Diggle drops off of Action Comics before his first issue even hits the stands.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44383

That Morrison guy really is a hard act to follow.

Comments

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    To quote Jackie Gleason, oooooof. What the hell is going on over there?

But Diggle, to his credit, is being pretty classy about it. That's always nice to see.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    It's either money or editorial interference.
    Fialkov might be right behind him:
    bleedingcool.com/2013/03/20/235086/

DC comics is a real sad place to be. Just like mid-90's Marvel. Guess who were around at both places? Jim Lee, Scott Lobdel, Rob Liefeld, Bob Harras, and Tony Daniel. Coincidence?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited March 2013
    EDIT: abuddah beat me to it! :)

.......................original post.......................

Also, Joshua Hale Fialkov has walked off both Green Lantern books he was due to begin writing.
  • Options
    Fialkov, too? Double oooooof.

We need another creator to go off the rails like Liefeld and say what's really happening between editorial (or, I suspect, editorial's bosses, or even editorial's bosses' bosses) and talent over there.
  • Options
    Glad to see both writers have other projects in the works. I can't imagine it's easy to walk away from DC.
  • Options
    brentacbrentac Posts: 11
    Man and I was looking forward to both writers runs. What the hell is going on at DC.
  • Options
    Fialkov exit confirmed independently by CBR:
    comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44391
  • Options
    brentacbrentac Posts: 11
    Thought they canceled wtf month. Guess they just changed it
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Wow. That all sounds like a mess.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Tony Daniel as writer/artist on Action Comics.

DAMNIT!

Matthew
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Guess I'll be definitely dropping Action Comics from my list. So far, except for Morrison's run, it seems like DC is heavily micromanaging and interfering with the Superman titles; remember Perez's complaints when he dropped off of the main book, and how fast they ran through writers over there.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited March 2013
    Rumors (and I think at this point that's all they are) are that DC Editorial planned to kill off John Stewart and that was prime motivator for Fialkov's departure.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Kill off the best-known black character in the DCU?

Guess he's superfluous now they're giving Cyborg the big push.

Pitiful.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Dang DC editorial will you stop w/ the royal F*ckups already.

Matthew
  • Options
    Nick Spencer tells how these writers quitting their books reminds him how DC editorial scuttled his plans for Supergirl a couple of years ago, resulting in his leaving the series almost as soon as he got on it.

robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/nick-spencer-reflects-on-his-aborted-supergirl-plans/
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Sounds to me that if DC editorial think they can do a better job, maybe they should just write the books themselves.
  • Options
    BC reporting that DC wanted Fialkov to do their dirty work: Killing off their most prominent African American character (sorry Cyborg, you ain't it)
    bleedingcool.com/2013/03/21/fialkov-left-dc-comics-over-plans-to-kill-off-john-stewart-dcs-black-green-lantern/
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Kill off the best-known black character in the DCU?

Guess he's superfluous now they're giving Cyborg the big push.

Pitiful.

My thoughts exactly. It's not like getting John Stewart out of the way is finally going to give Cyborg the popularity bump they keep expecting.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have more than one prominent black superhero at a time. You can probably have many, in fact. Of both genders, even!
  • Options

Also, I'm pretty sure you're allowed to have more than one prominent black superhero at a time. You can probably have many, in fact. Of both genders, even!

Blasphemy!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Blasphemy!
    Agreed! First there was Abdul Smith, who will decidedly NOT be appearing in the upcoming Green Team book by Gail Simone!*

Then there was Malcolm from the Teen Titans who has a horn that he played that did...something...hell, I don't know.

Then of course there was Black Lightning! Even though his lightning was yellow like most lightning was drawn in those days, so I'm guessing it was a racial thing.**

And then came Tempest...part of the NEW Doom Patrol...I didn't read it either.***

Then came forth Cyborg! And at the masterful hands of Wolfman & Perez African American's had a hero they could look up to! People with prosthetics as well! And cyborgs!

Then John Stewart finally came out of the background of the GL book and into the forefront. And what's one of the first things he's remembered for? His incompetence causes a planet to blow up. ****

So yes...while African American heroes have been around for some time, there can only be ONE at a time. And only one!

Don't get me started on the Asian superheroes...

* I have no factual basis to back this up. None. For all I know, Abdul is in there.
    ** And by "I'm guessing" I mean DC editorial staff's sheets were showing on that one
    *** Okay I actually did. Celsius had a really hot uniform and Negative Woman hadn't gone totally nutso yet.
    **** Cosmic Oddessy. Pick it up. It's a good'un.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Writers are fleeing DC titles nearly as fast as I am.

Well played, sir.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Blasphemy!
    Agreed! First there was Abdul Smith, who will decidedly NOT be appearing in the upcoming Green Team book by Gail Simone!*

Then there was Malcolm from the Teen Titans who has a horn that he played that did...something...hell, I don't know.

Then of course there was Black Lightning! Even though his lightning was yellow like most lightning was drawn in those days, so I'm guessing it was a racial thing.**

And then came Tempest...part of the NEW Doom Patrol...I didn't read it either.***

Then came forth Cyborg! And at the masterful hands of Wolfman & Perez African American's had a hero they could look up to! People with prosthetics as well! And cyborgs!

Then John Stewart finally came out of the background of the GL book and into the forefront. And what's one of the first things he's remembered for? His incompetence causes a planet to blow up. ****

So yes...while African American heroes have been around for some time, there can only be ONE at a time. And only one!

* I have no factual basis to back this up. None. For all I know, Abdul is in there.
    ** And by "I'm guessing" I mean DC editorial staff's sheets were showing on that one
    *** Okay I actually did. Celsius had a really hot uniform and Negative Woman hadn't gone totally nutso yet.
    As far as I know, John Stewart predated all these characters except perhaps Mal.
  • Options
    You don't suppose someone high-up at Warners hates The Daily Show... ?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

WetRats said:

Blasphemy!

As far as I know, John Stewart predated all these characters except perhaps Mal.
    You are correct. And Mal only predated Stewart by a year or two.
  • Options

You are correct. And Mal only predated Stewart by a year or two.

I always considered Mal to be an ancestor of Tyroc. Both were token black characters with ill-defined sonic-based powers who nobody had a clue how to use.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    C’mon! Isn’t is obvious? The only reason they’re killing Stewart is so they can bring him back as Black Lantern. Not “a” Black Lantern, but The Black Lantern. That way it’s less confusing for the readers who can’t understand why a black superhero has “green” in his name instead of “black.” ;)
  • Options

C’mon! Isn’t is obvious? The only reason they’re killing Stewart is so they can bring him back as Black Lantern. Not “a” Black Lantern, but The Black Lantern. That way it’s less confusing for the readers who can’t understand why a black superhero has “green” in his name instead of “black.” ;)

I wish I could just laugh at that.

Sadly, this sounds just like something these bozos would do.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Maybe, but I prefer to think they’d at least have the discussion of why that would be a bad idea.

Maybe they’ll make him The Spectre instead. There’s already been a Green Lantern Spectre and a black Spectre, so why not a black Green Lantern Spectre? ;)
  • Options
    Nah, he's gonna show up in the Teen Titans book as Brother Blood.

Get it...Brother Blood? Y'know, because that's how they talk...right? I learned that from reading Power Man books as a kid. :)