Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1210 Talkback: Gone to Amerikay with Derek McCulloch

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited March 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Join us on a trip through time as seen through the eyes of the Irish as we speak to Derek McCulloch, author of the new Vertigo graphic novel 'Gone to Amerikay'. We discuss the complex story, his work with Colleen Doran, and Irish music. (1:05:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    I have to listen to this one now. Did Mike finally get his Irish comics?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I need to read this book.

I love stuff that deals with culture and how a culture is changed when a people settle in a new place.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Irish comics???

I'm so there.

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    Nice episode. Very interested in the story of the Irish immigration to America.
    In a much, much smaller scale there has also been Swiss immigration out of the same reasons - seeking a better life.

Ancestors of mine founded a place in the new world: http://www.newglarusvillage.com/
    I grew up in the orginal Glarus though.

I'm quite fond of Colleen Doran's work on "Sandman". Looking forward to checking out "Gone to Amerikay".
  • Options
    T2GunnzT2Gunnz Posts: 14
    Sorry I'm so late but when i heard this episode @MikeGallagher it reminded me of when I looked into my Irish roots. I found my great grandfather was a go boy in the Easter Rebellion in 1916 and my grandfather was a volunteer in the Border Campaign of the 1960's before the troubles really began so it's safe to safe rebel blood runs in the family. Now i have a library of Irish music that is over 500 songs dating from all ages my favorite has to be the rowdy rebel drinking song like teddy's head or you'll never beat the Irish.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    The Irish created everything.
    @kylemoyer yes ah got ah coupl'
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    The Irish created everything.
    @kylemoyer yes ah got ah coupl'
    How the Isih Saved Civilization
  • Options
    FlintlockjawFlintlockjaw Posts: 247
    Sorry I'm so late but when i heard this episode @MikeGallagher it reminded me of when I looked into my Irish roots. I found my great grandfather was a go boy in the Easter Rebellion in 1916 and my grandfather was a volunteer in the Border Campaign of the 1960's before the troubles really began so it's safe to safe rebel blood runs in the family. Now i have a library of Irish music that is over 500 songs dating from all ages my favorite has to be the rowdy rebel drinking song like teddy's head or you'll never beat the Irish.
    My Dads Grandfather was a Sergeant in the British Army. My Moms family were all IRA. My Dad was a Protestant and my Mom a Roman catholic.

I'm confused!

• Options
    PaulPaul Posts: 169
    Thanks for doing this episode, guys. Mike's passion for the book led me to pick it up later that day, and I thought it was a fantastic read. Some of the best artwork I've seen from Colleen Doran, as well!
  • Options
    Thanks for doing this episode, guys. Mike's passion for the book led me to pick it up later that day, and I thought it was a fantastic read. Some of the best artwork I've seen from Colleen Doran, as well!
    Oh, awesome!
    That's great news. What other stuff of hers have you read?