Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers #8 (Spoilers)

"But there is a problem with our world. The Builders had other, older systems that came before our system. These systems were not meant to be used in tandem."

Love that reference to how Shooter wanted to replace the Marvel U with the New Universe.
God I love Hickman. How is he doing it? Shooter's New Universe is cool again.
I wonder if the existing Starbrand in the Marvel 616 universe that came over from the New Universe during the Quasar run will come into play.

Comments

• Options
    WAIT: there is a New U connection with the current Avengers run? I consider myself the biggest New U fan in the world. I need to collect these!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

WAIT: there is a New U connection with the current Avengers run? I consider myself the biggest New U fan in the world. I need to collect these!

Ongoing now in the current arc in the new Avengers book. Start with #1, but the New U connection isn't apparent until #7.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Love that reference to how Shooter wanted to replace the Marvel U with the New Universe.

I don't remember anything about Shooter wanting to replace the main Marvel Universe with the New Universe. I rather doubt he had any realistic expectations of that in any rate. The whole thing was intended as part of Marvel's 25th Anniversary.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

I don't remember anything about Shooter wanting to replace the main Marvel Universe with the New Universe. I rather doubt he had any realistic expectations of that in any rate. The whole thing was intended as part of Marvel's 25th Anniversary.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Shooter wanted to "reboot" the Marvel Universe for the 25th Anniversary (similar to what DC has done with the New52). He couldn't generate the support, so it morphed into the New Universe.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Shooter wanted to "reboot" the Marvel Universe for the 25th Anniversary (similar to what DC has done with the New52). He couldn't generate the support, so it morphed into the New Universe.
    That might be -- though I think the reboot he had in mind was closer to DC's Crisis, where he'd be tightening the timeline up so things wouldn't be sliding further into out-of-dateedness. Adjusting Cap's history so that he'd been asleep for a half-decade instead of twenty years, moving the different heroes' origins up to the 80's instead of the sixties and removing 60's-inspired facets from the origins (such as the FF's involvement in the Race to the Moon). That sort of stuff, rather than an all-out New52-style revamp.

I recall Shooter wanting to continue with a big project to celebrate the 25th anniversary, though, so I think that the New Universe was what they went with instead; but I don't think it was a direct metamorphising or that he'd ever wanted to replace the original Marvel U.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    When I talked to Shooter at the MN con a few years ago, he said the "replace the Marvel U" was a rumor from disgruntled employees. And the New Universe was ruined by corporate cost cutting.
  • Options

When I talked to Shooter at the MN con a few years ago, he said the "replace the Marvel U" was a rumor from disgruntled employees. And the New Universe was ruined by corporate cost cutting.

Yeah, now that story I remember. We did a few posts about it a few months ago.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Disgruntled employees?

In the Shooter era?

Inconceivable!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited March 2013

I recall Shooter wanting to continue with a big project to celebrate the 25th anniversary, though, so I think that the New Universe was what they went with instead; but I don't think it was a direct metamorphising or that he'd ever wanted to replace the original Marvel U.

That sounds a little more realistic.
    Regardless, I'm happy to see the resurgence of some form of New Universe characters. Starbrand was always my favourite of the batch. Interested to see where Hickman goes with this.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    Coincidentally, I just read Ellis' New Universal tpb, which was a reboot of the New Universe, and a good prep for the Avengers story.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    ctowner1 said:

Coincidentally, I just read Ellis' New Universal tpb, which was a reboot of the New Universe, and a good prep for the Avengers story.

e
    L nny

If that's the one from a couple of years ago, I was dissappointed in that he didn't finish it. As I recall, it stalled in the middle of one mini-series and was cancelled, probably due to low sales.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481

ctowner1 said:

e
    L nny

If that's the one from a couple of years ago, I was dissappointed in that he didn't finish it. As I recall, it stalled in the middle of one mini-series and was cancelled, probably due to low sales.
    I guess it was - I only read a TPB. It was more of a setup story than a complete story in and of itself. But it was exactly about what's been going on in Avengers.

e
    L nny
  • Options
    Hex said:

That sounds a little more realistic.
    Regardless, I'm happy to see the resurgence of some form of New Universe characters. Starbrand was always my favourite of the batch. Interested to see where Hickman goes with this.
    Starbrand was good, if uneven (IMHO). I really liked the character of Ken O'Connell -- he was a flawed dude and a lousy hero at times. But Shooter seemed to break his own "world outside your window" with the Old Man/Alien connection (same goes for the "other dimension" in Justice, which was ret-conned, too). When Byrne took over, he seemed to have free rein to cut loose, and it ended up a bit of a continuity mess. DP7 is still my favorite comic of all time (hence my name on this board)