Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1350 Talkback: Comic Talk

2»

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 549
    Matt I forgive you!!! (X-Cast is the first and probably most popular X-Men podcast...)

The podcast he guest appeared on is EMX and is part of the the Earth's Mightiest Podcasts family of titles...

EMP- Avengers Podcast
    EMX- X-Men Podcast
    MwaP- (Merc with a Podcast) all about Deadpool

Individually they were just like those guys who like to hang around the comic book shop and talk comics but together they form EMX!

In this eXplicit, uncut and unedited episode of EMX we cover the X-Men books of February 2013. Featuring guest host @Matt from Comic Geek Speak!

Age of Apocalypse #12
    All-New X-Men #7
    Astonishing X-Men #59
    Cable and X-Force #4
    Uncanny X-Force #2
    Uncanny X-men #1-2
    Wolverine and the X-Men #25
    X-Factor #251-252
    X-Men #41
    X-Men Legacy #6
    X-Treme X-Men #10-11

Email: TheAvengers@EarthsMightiestPodcast.com
    Website - http://www.EarthsMightiestPodcast.com
    Amazon - Help support us! It costs you nothing!
    Forums - http://forum.earthsmightiestpodcast.com
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Corwin said:

Matt I forgive you!!! (X-Cast is the first and probably most popular X-Men podcast...)

The podcast he guest appeared on is EMX and is part of the the Earth's Mightiest Podcasts family of titles...

EMP- Avengers Podcast
    EMX- X-Men Podcast
    MwaP- (Merc with a Podcast) all about Deadpool

Individually they were just like those guys who like to hang around the comic book shop and talk comics but together they form EMX!

In this eXplicit, uncut and unedited episode of EMX we cover the X-Men books of February 2013. Featuring guest host @Matt from Comic Geek Speak!

Age of Apocalypse #12
    All-New X-Men #7
    Astonishing X-Men #59
    Cable and X-Force #4
    Uncanny X-Force #2
    Uncanny X-men #1-2
    Wolverine and the X-Men #25
    X-Factor #251-252
    X-Men #41
    X-Men Legacy #6
    X-Treme X-Men #10-11

Email: TheAvengers@EarthsMightiestPodcast.com
    Website - http://www.EarthsMightiestPodcast.com
    Amazon - Help support us! It costs you nothing!
    Forums - http://forum.earthsmightiestpodcast.com

Damn, I knew I was going to mess that up. I'm really sorry about that. I had notes written down, but left them on my desk from when we were recording (baby talk notes and all!)

M
  • Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42
    Matt said:

DrBravo2 said:

Matt said:

DrBravo2 said:

Another "This work of fiction didn't tell the story I wanted it to tell" negative review from CGS, for Oz The Great and Powerful.

M
    It was like 10 minutes on "There weren't enough references to Baum's Oz books" and "I don't like that there was a love story." I get that Matt is well versed in the books, but the great majority of the public are not. Most references are going to be to the '39 movie. I'm not sure what in the marketing would lead people to believe it would be more faithful to the books.
    I'm a big Oz fan, like Adam, though I have a hard-time stomaching the Ruth Plumley-Thompson books. All of the marketing I saw pitched this as the 'Origin of the Wizard' lifted straight from the books, so I too was disappointed that they invented a royal family and never addressed the dichotamy of a man who stumbled into power, and because he was a better ruler than the despotic rulers in place, went to some pretty despicable lengths to keep the power, without just resulting to making him a bastard (ala Wicked):
    - Paying/threatening Mombi to get/keep Ozma out of the picture.
    - Sending a little girl to confront a witch

The only thing in the first book that paints the Wizard in anything like a positive light is a) the denizens of the Emerald City love him and b) Denslow's illustration is a small jolly bald man, very reminiscent of Elmer Fudd (I know which came first, the analogy is to help people who haven't seen the original illustrations). My one disagreement with Adam is I don't think the love story comes from nowhere. Out of everyone to come in and out of Oz, the Wizard is the only one Glenda deigns to train in magic and share her secrets with. While I don't beleive a love story was Baum's intent, I think you can invent one and it still fit in the books without runing anything.

• Options
    gothamkidgothamkid Posts: 42
    JDick said:

Enough Dr. Who! (I'm sure I wouldn't care if I actually watched the show.)

Anyone notice how much of DC's most interesting stuff is their digital first stuff?

I actually want more of Shane's updates. I want a Who spotlight. I normally skip the comic talk because it is either old news by the time I can download it or its about issues I haven't read yet. The Who talk made me tune in.

PS I have the Technical Guide. Its seriously outdated coming out during the mid-seventies, but its a fun piece of memorabilia.

• Options
    brentacbrentac Posts: 11
    Re: Murds time bubble. I've only been listening a little while. I'm subscribed through iTunes. I definitely think they should be included in the main CGS feed like all your other topics (comic talk, previews, etc.) I didn't realize they even existed.
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275
    gothamkid said:

JDick said:

Anyone notice how much of DC's most interesting stuff is their digital first stuff?

I actually want more of Shane's updates. I want a Who spotlight. I normally skip the comic talk because it is either old news by the time I can download it or its about issues I haven't read yet. The Who talk made me tune in.

PS I have the Technical Guide. Its seriously outdated coming out during the mid-seventies, but its a fun piece of memorabilia.

I'm actually enjoying the Who updates from Pants. It dosen't bother me anymore than updates on Walking Dead or Arrow. (of course it does help that I watch the show :D )
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    gothamkid said:

JDick said:

Agreed, I want a spotlight, too! And I used to have that book as a kid. It was pretty instrumental in helping me understand the show at that point. I had another book that then-producer John-Nathan Turner had written that was a guide to all of the companions that was similarly helpful in understanding who all of these people were, even if some of the descriptions were less helpful than others (e.g., First & Second Doctor companion Ben Jackson: "Ben accompanied Polly for their entire duration on the TARDIS." And that was IT. It stands out to me to this day for being so singularly unhelpful.)
  • Options
    PantsPants Posts: 567
    A Dr. Who spotlight is already in the works once I get caught up to the current episodes.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I'm actually looking forward to the step back to the past Batman in the regular series. I think I'd rather have it in the regular series so I won't have to buy another series.
    Well, I really liked the Oz movie and saw it twice, 1st dubbed in Japanese and then in English. I haven't read the Oz books nor seen the Return to Oz (1985), but maybe I should.
    Batman TV Show (1966): I still enjoy watching it occasionally, but I know it was basically played for camp but that series was a big motivation for getting me to start reading comics.
    Dr. Who: I DID watch an episode of it, but got bored after about 20 mins. The assistant was screaming her head off about being trapped in some world or another and the Doctor spent most of the time trying to calm her down. Ugh!
    Good Job on not getting STUMPED, Murd! Great YOINK win!