Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wonder Con "Scott Snyder Panel" News

Some awesome news out of Wonder Con.

Wonder Con "Batman: Year One" News: Snyder says there's nothing in Zero Year that readers have seen before. Snyder says it became obvious that the events of Year One couldn't have happened as depicted in The New 52. Snyder says he'll never change core things like Joe Chill. "If I try to do things like the pearls or the lamp, it's just a poor imitation." "It's impossible to reach a masterpiece like that," Snyder says of Year One, but they're aiming high with Zero Year. "We are giving this our best effort. I've never worked as hard on anything." Snyder says that Capullo's contract states that he can only write Batman, if he wants, and says that the artist is committed at this point through #48 or #49.

Wonder Con "Superman Unchained" News: Snyder says his approach to the book is, "If you got one chance to write this amazing character, write that story, even if everybody hates it." Lois Lane is a big part of the book, Snyder says, along with a new villain. Snyder says that Jim Lee said that he's drawing Lex Luthor with a resemblance to Grant Morrison. Speaking of the double-sided four-page fold-out in Superman Unchained #1, Snyder says, that on one side, Superman is shown in a powerful stance, and on the opposite side, Superman is tiny, "and you almost have to find him on the page." Snyder says the fold-out isn't a gimmick, but an important part of the book.

Wonder Con "The Wake" News: Snyder says "it's a book like nothing I've ever tried. Vertigo is a place where you're supposed to defy things, and be different. I need a place where I can go and just be nuts. This book is that. It's a horror book. It's sci-fi."

Comments

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    A double-sided four-page fold-out.

Now I'm glad I'm passing on this book.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284

I think that is the main reason for me TO GET the book. How can you not like huge murals of Jim Lee's art? Different strokes I guess, but I'm going to love it.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Nick said:

I think that is the main reason for me TO GET the book. How can you not like huge murals of Jim Lee's art? Different strokes I guess, but I'm going to love it.
    Two reasons:

1 - I don't like Jim Lee's art. I've gone into this at length in earlier posts, so let's leave it at that I find his work cold and 'posey'.

2 - I don't like or trust a comic that has to rely on a gimmick.

And I had two other reasons for not getting the book beforehand:

1 - I don't like Scott Snyder's writing. His work on Batman not only did not impress me, but I found the storylines too long and uninteresting. (I dropped them before they got around the recent Joker story arc.) I know he's taking the rest of Bat-fandom by storm, but, for me, it does nothing.

2 - I don't care a whole lot for the New52 Superman. The only Superman book that had me hooked was Morrison's Action Comics epic, and that's done. But otherwise, I look at Superman and his redesign bothers me to the point where he just doesn't look or feel like the real Superman; I keep waiting for the 'Imaginary Story' to end so we can get back to the real series with the real Man Of Steel.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I don't see what everybody else seems to in snyders take on batman or his writing in general. Ok i suppose but damn if i can figure what all the fuss is about. As for superman, I sure don't see how snyders interpretation of this version of the character could possibly be any better than anyone else's. as long as editorial is controlling the character, doesn't matter who writes it and it will remain unreadable to me. Just pathetic and sad.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    I don't think Snyder is the BEST Batman writer EVER, but I do enjoy it. I also appreciate new interesting villains. I like Hush a lot (don't throw stuff at me!), if for nothing else it's a new rogue. I like all of Batman's villains, but man how many times can he go to the Penguin for information?

And I didn't enjoy the Joker arc as much as the Court of Owls, mainly because Joker is always in the Batbooks, but I did think Snyder did a good job of writing a nice Joker story regardless.

I don't think Snyder will do anything too crazy with Superman, but a new writer always has the potential at least to have an interesting new view.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've actually enjoyed Snyder's run on Batman. I hadn't picked up a Bat title in some time but figured I'd give Batman a day in court at the beginning of the reboot. Haven't been disappointed yet. Now Dark Knight? That's another story. :)